July 2012 Weddings
Options

July 21, 2012... So excited!

I took the 1st step and put a deposit on my venue!

I am in need of some advice. After, I got engaged I went to him and asked if he will be contributing to my wedding and if so how much (bad idea). He said he couldn't commit to anything (which is fine, bad economy and all), BUT I had a pretty substantial amount of money in a bank account in his name since I first started working when I was 16 years old, and HE SPENT IT ALLCry. There was enough money in the account to cover 1/2 the cost of the venue.
I never changed the account to my name because I trusted that it would be safe guarded, and I didn't want to spend it on something stupid (seriously regretting that decision).

Here's my delimma: Since he is not contributing to my wedding and spent my money. Am I being unreasonable by not allowing him to invite any of his friends to my wedding?

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers

Re: July 21, 2012... So excited!

• Options
    by he do you mean your FI?
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    Sorry, he meaning my father. I feel very angry and betrayed that he spent all the money in the account without telling me. Also, since he won't be contributing I dont think he should be able to invite his friends that my FI and I dont even know. Am I being unreasonable?
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    He's not paying therefore he has zero say in what happens in your wedding including who is and is not invited.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_july-21-2012-excited?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:ca81ded9-afdb-4b6f-a3fb-aa9156ca952cPost:f2afb0a6-6316-479f-9b80-930ebd57fa02">Re: July 21, 2012... So excited!</a>:
    [QUOTE]He's not paying therefore he has zero say in what happens in your wedding including who is and is not invited.
    Posted by avsfan33[/QUOTE]

This exactly!!
  • Options
    I dont understand why you would put money in a bank account in his name if you didnt want him to touch it. For exactly what he did, you have no right to getting that money back unfortunately. However, I would tell him you are very hurt and that you were expecting to have that money there for your wedding. I know you said he claims he can't afford to give you anything but I would try to work out a deal where he pays you X amount of dollars a month to try to replace even a little bit of that money.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_july-21-2012-excited?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:ca81ded9-afdb-4b6f-a3fb-aa9156ca952cPost:23af5468-1119-47d6-b410-f05eb84ffc21">Re: July 21, 2012... So excited!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dont understand why you would put money in a bank account in his name if you didnt want him to touch it. For exactly what he did, you have no right to getting that money back unfortunately. However, I would tell him you are very hurt and that you were expecting to have that money there for your wedding. I know you said he claims he can't afford to give you anything but I would try to work out a deal where he pays you X amount of dollars a month to try to replace even a little bit of that money.
    Posted by Madisonpenny[/QUOTE]
    This!<div>
    </div><div>And as PP said, if he doesn't contribute anything to your wedding, he has no say in your wedding details, opinions, guests, etc.  This goes for parents and other family members as well.  Invite whomever you like, and don't invite anyone you don't want to.</div>
    BabyFruit Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker Our Bio Bridesmaid Dresses July 2012 November Siggy: Bridesmaid Dresses!
  • Options
    No Money no say sweetie. That's it. It is so sad that he spent all your money but I have seen a lot of situations where this has happened but it was also because this person was your guardian and they could have very well used the money along the way for things you needed(food,shelter,clothes etc....)not always the case but definitely a sure possibility. Getting back to the point if he doesn't put in anything he can't invite because those are more mouths that you have to feed or let him know that if he insists on inviting these people let him pay each person's head that he invites and make sure he gives you the money before the invites go out.
    Holiday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards