Connecticut

Invite Insert Question

Okay here are the details bullet pointed so it doesn't get too long/confusing:
* Extremely small guest list (50 people, including the 4 BMs, 3 GMs, and immediate family members)
* Ceremony and reception are in the same place
* Following the short ceremony, we are planning to have the DJ direct people to cocktail hour.  This will be 1 hour for us to do photos with everyone and by ourselves before the start of the reception/grand entrances.
* As of right now, we are not doing a rehearsal dinner, since FI and I are paying for the wedding ourselves and the size of the wedding party is about 1/4 or so of the wedding guest list itself lol

* Photographer made a really good suggestion that I like about alerting those immediate family & wedding party members we want to join us outside for photos so as to avoid confusion between the other guests who are to remain inside for cocktail hour and pro-photo guests to join us outside to get them done and then they can head inside for the remainder of cocktail hour until we finish our couple photos (does that make sense?)

Bottom line: my question is this:  Are any of you doing any kind of insert like this in the invitation to alert those people you expect outside to do photos with you?  What kind of wording do you think would be the least confusing (along the lines of telling them to join us outside and then return inside when we are through with them, which sounds rude lol)
"I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!

Re: Invite Insert Question

• edited December 2011
    I don't think you need to mention anything in your actual invite. I would let those family members know personally or have family members spread the word. Maybe ask your MOH to help round up family for pictures.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    planning bio
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp, I don't think you need anything in the invite itself. Maybe try spreading it word of mouth, and have a family member or WP member round up those who you'd like in some pictures before heading to cocktail hour. This is how we worked out the interviews for our wedding video. My brother and SIL were in charge of rounding up family members and close friends we wanted to do a quick interview on the video for us and it worked great.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with others.  No need to include an insert.  We had a similar situation... slightly bigger at 80 people, but everything at the same venue, etc.  When it really comes down to it, people will wander where they want during the cocktail hour.  If there are drinks and h'ordeuves being served, they will get it that that is where they are supposed to mingle until dinner.  If they're not having to transition to a different location or a different part of a large facility, everyone knows that there is generally a cocktail hour in between.  I assume you will be doing a recessional where you exit after the ceremony and the bridal party follows?  If so, they will end up outside with you anyway.

One thing that made it very clear for everyone at our wedding was to have a 'events' section on our wedding website.  It outlined the different parts of the event: ceremony, cocktail hour, tea ceremony, dinner, etc.  We also put the information in the program so absolutely everyone knew what was happening next (whether they saw the website or not).  You could put a line in there saying that the bridal party is requested outside for pictures after the ceremony.  We also had someone going in and out to grab family members for pictures when it was there turn.  It was quite windy and cold on our day, so we didn't want people to suffer and wait by standing outside the whole time even if they weren't being photographed.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I would have your JP or Priest or whomever announce that at the end of your ceremony.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_invite-insert-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:6a35ff11-7e09-48bb-bee8-30965dd54731Post:77f1070a-0301-4505-b74e-645353cc439a">Re: Invite Insert Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with others.  No need to include an insert.  We had a similar situation... slightly bigger at 80 people, but everything at the same venue, etc.  When it really comes down to it, people will wander where they want during the cocktail hour.  If there are drinks and h'ordeuves being served, they will get it that that is where they are supposed to mingle until dinner.  If they're not having to transition to a different location or a different part of a large facility, everyone knows that there is generally a cocktail hour in between.  I assume you will be doing a recessional where you exit after the ceremony and the bridal party follows?  If so, they will end up outside with you anyway. <strong>One thing that made it very clear for everyone at our wedding was to have a 'events' section on our wedding website.  It outlined the different parts of the event: ceremony, cocktail hour, tea ceremony, dinner, etc.  We also put the information in the program so absolutely everyone knew what was happening next (whether they saw the website or not).  You could put a line in there saying that the bridal party is requested outside for pictures after the ceremony.  </strong>We also had someone going in and out to grab family members for pictures when it was there turn.  It was quite windy and cold on our day, so we didn't want people to suffer and wait by standing outside the whole time even if they weren't being photographed.
    Posted by akulaji[/QUOTE]

The program!  I hadn't even considered that - perfect!  Thanks, Carrie (and everyone else) for the input!  Much appreciated :)
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_invite-insert-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:6a35ff11-7e09-48bb-bee8-30965dd54731Post:b9346c7a-498a-4d79-8b6b-bbc2b3bfef40">Re: Invite Insert Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invite Insert Question : The program!  I hadn't even considered that - perfect!  Thanks, Carrie (and everyone else for the input)!  Much appreciated :)
    Posted by Karebear852k3[/QUOTE]
    You're welcome!  OMG you're down to like 5 months!!!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_invite-insert-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:6a35ff11-7e09-48bb-bee8-30965dd54731Post:e7f54855-a2fc-421d-9e09-6a0feb5b83a4">Re: Invite Insert Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invite Insert Question : You're welcome!  OMG you're down to like 5 months!!!
    Posted by akulaji[/QUOTE]

Haha, I KNOW!!! lol It's starting to feel a little scary lol
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards