Connecticut
Options

First Dance

Has anyone picked their first dance song? I think we're going to use a Joshua Radin song (love him!!). I know that the first dance song is for the bride and groom but we were thinking that we were going to dance alone for the first half of the song and then have the bridal party join us. Will people think this is weird?
"Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."

Re: First Dance

• Options
    Mandafly84Mandafly84 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your bridal party has the rest of the night to dance with you.  Take this 3 or 4 minutes just for yourself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having the bridal party join after about 2 minutes. I hate attention
  • Options
    Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_first-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:6beab9f1-7a44-4668-a555-f2494811fec1Post:ef46cf2a-c38b-481d-a2bd-0789f48defe1">First Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone picked their first dance song? I think we're going to use a Joshua Radin song (love him!!). I know that the first dance song is for the bride and groom but we were thinking that we were going to dance alone for the first half of the song and then have the bridal party join us. Will people think this is weird?
    Posted by Amanda1443994[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's weird at all.  I think it's actually a popular choice.  We did the whole first dance by ourselves but, honestly, 3 minutes feels like FOREVER haha. Also, we had an extra GM but, either way, I don't think any of them would have really wanted to dance with each other.  But if you have your bridal party join you, I would just let your photographer know the plan so s/he is ready. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think its weird, but we enjoyed having the whole first dance for ourselves. It was a time to just look in eachother eyes and take in the fact we were finally married! 
    We had a second dance where we invited all couples to the dance floor. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    planning bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "Our" song is a fast paced song, so right now the plan is to start off with a slow song and then a few minutes in, switch to "our" song and just have fun dancing. I don't plan to have any of the bridal party join us, but I might change my mind!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think dancing alone is a good idea. Plus, the wedding party might not be comfortable dancing with one another, especially if they don't know one another well.
  • Options
    Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    edited December 2011
    I've been to many weddings where this happened.  We are going to do the first minute by ourselves then have all couples join us.  Everyone in our bridal party has a significant other not in the bridal party so instead of making that awkward dance we want people to dance with someone they are comfortable with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a good idea. that's what we're doing too, except we're breaking into a coreographed dance with our bridal party. I say it's your day so do whatever you want.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We kept our dance to ourselves, but since the song was REALLY long, I gave the DJ a wink when we were ready to be done.

I was in a wedding before where they invited the bridal party and their significant others to dance half-way through the song, and that was cool.

I agree though, do what you want - it's your day!
  • Options
    Amanda1443994Amanda1443994 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok thanks ladies! I was thinking I might be alittle uncomfortable for 4 whole minutes dancing just the two of us because I hate attention as well. I think we're probably going to go with the bridal party joining us after a few minutes. Good to know we're not the only ones (:
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options
    Mandafly84Mandafly84 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_first-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:6beab9f1-7a44-4668-a555-f2494811fec1Post:6f34e414-3931-4dd5-8899-0a29999ac4d3">Re: First Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's a good idea. that's what we're doing too, <strong>except we're breaking into a coreographed dance with our bridal party.</strong> I say it's your day so do whatever you want.
    Posted by kristin1007[/QUOTE]

Wait I'm sorry... you're what??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cgbabe229cgbabe229 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not weird at all.  Our song was "You and Me" by Dave Matthews Band and that is almost a 5 minute song.  So we definitely didn't want to be up there the whole time either especially because it wasn't like we had anything coreographed or such so we decided to also have our guests join us about 1/2 way through.  I think it was nice because it gave us our time as well as got people on the dance floor.  I'd say go with whatever you feel comfortable with! 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    wineo929wineo929 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_first-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:6beab9f1-7a44-4668-a555-f2494811fec1Post:6f34e414-3931-4dd5-8899-0a29999ac4d3">Re: First Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's a good idea. that's what we're doing too, except we're breaking into a coreographed dance with our bridal party. I say it's your day so do whatever you want.
    Posted by kristin1007[/QUOTE]

<div>We're starting with our song and then breaking out into a choreographed dance too! It's only going to be us though... but I LOVE that you're having the whole bridal party! What a great way to kick off the party :)</div>
    0403_0929W BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    rswan412rswan412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote keep it just you two- unless your bridal party is 100% okay with dancing with each other. When I told my bridal party we were just doing us, they all were like "THANK GOD!".

However, it's def a personal choice- do what fits you best!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol! 
    It's your day hae it whatever way you want it and not what everyoen will think of it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards