Connecticut

Advice? Going dress shopping for the first time...

Hi ladies!

I'm going dress shopping this weekend for the first time and wanted to ask how many places you went to before finding "the one"?  I have appointments with 3 shops, but I kind of want to add a 4th as I've heard pretty good reviews on this board and from people I know.  Do you think that's too many places?

I have appointments at:

Marie's in Fairfield
Zoe's in Springdale
David's Bridal in Orange (I know I've seen some bad reviews, but my sister got her dress there without any issues, so I figured I'd at least give them a shot)
And I want to make an appointment for Classic Brides by Eva

TIA!

imageMoo Moo Kitten is resting... Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Advice? Going dress shopping for the first time...

• Melissa603Melissa603 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to 3.  Are you trying to do all 4 in one day? That might be a bit much
  • rswan412rswan412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to several because my Aunt lives in PA and wanted me to try on dresses with her, but I wanted to order the dress from CT...I went to DB, Alfred Angelo and Melissa Ashley Brides in Westerly..LOVED the small and personable feel to Melissa Ashley...I went several times with a variety of people because I couldn't make up my mind! Have fun, and remember you can always go back and try on the same gown again!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did an epic two day marathon dress shopping as my Mom and I live 2000 miles apart.  The first day, we had 2 appointments and dropped in another place that accomodated us.  The second day, we had an appointment in the morning, and then we called another place and made an appointment that afternoon.  It was the third dress I tried on in that last place, and I knew it was 'the one' immediately!

My advice would be to wear comfortable underwear that is skin-toned and that you feel comfortable being seen in by the bridal shop staff.  I had a little skin-colored strapless Spanx dress sucker-inner thingy, so I had that under my dress that I wore while we shopped. It was perfect for trying on dresses.  I wouldn't go out and buy anything new, though, since you aren't sure what you'll need with the dress you haven't found yet and you want to make sure whatever you buy doesn't show.

Anniversary

• kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I have been to Marie's & Zoe's....

Marie's is small but they have a good selection! Do you know what designer/style you are looking for? They women are also very nice there!

Zoe's is a hot mess to say the least! The owner is very blunt and comes off rude. Also a small shop. To me it seemed very disorganized and not worth it.

Intially I went out for the first time to DB in Danbury to try a bunch of different styles since they have a wide variety and allow you to take pics. Once I narrowed the style down I started looking online and found a bunch of designers/styles that I liked. From there I went to a couple stores and ended up tracking down one dress (which ended up being THE one) and did alot of searching online. I tried on  & found my dress in the city but ordered it locally!

Dress shopping is SO much fun!! Bring some close people with you but not too many, also bring water with you, a comfortable bra & deodorant (it is a workout LOL!!) Most of all have fun!!!! GL!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to 4 places over 2 weekends.

I went to Marie's, Something Blue Bridal, Camille's Bridal, and Julie Allen Bridal.

My favorite place by far was Julie Allen's Bridal.

Marie's was small but had a decent selection. The consultant I had was very nice, but she had me go through the dresses myself. At that point I just wanted her to get an idea of what I wanted and find me dresses since she knew them better than I did. All the dresses were in plastic bags, and it was hard to tell what they actually looked like. Some people prefer to look at dresses themselves though, so I guess it's a matter of preference. Another thing I wasn't a big fan of was that she didn't clip me into all the dresses which were all 5 sizes too big on me. So there may have been some dresses that I would have liked better had they not been falling off of me.

I don't think 4 places is too much but trying to visit them all in one day might be tough. Have a great time! Hope you find 'the one'   :)
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I went to 1 shop and only because my mom made me haha, I had appointments set up in NYC and in Boston. Mom decided we should go one of the local boutique-like places we have in the center of town - cancelled the big city appointments, dress #5...done. 
    She's always wanted to be a princess and he's always wanted to be a hero; as fate would now have it, she is his princess and he is her hero *Semper Fi* Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I bought my dress the first time I went into David's!  I honestly haven't dreamed of a dress all my life, so when I came across one that made me happy, I didn't feel the need to keep looking.  GL!
  • cdbishopcdbishop member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I went to two different places (White Dress by the Shore in Clinton and Birdal Mall in Niantic).  But I also did the running of the brides in Boston which was insanity.  You won't really know until you start trying on.  I would say possibly hold off on making another appointment for now until you see what you find in your first couple appointments.

• edited December 2011
    I went shopping to multiple stores, but across multiple weekends.  I think I went to 4 stores (I got excited and spur-of-the-moment went to Mariella's, and then Michelle A Bridal Boutique in Westbrook one day when I was off; then my MOH and I went shopping at Harold's, David's, and Mariella's another weekend; the last trip was supposed to be shopping for BM dresses, but all the BMs backed out except MOH, so we ended up bridal dress shopping again at Mariella's, Harold's, and a little shop in Portland whose name I can't remember now, and I kept going back to a dress I'd seen in my 2nd trip that I loved).

I went to the David's Bridal in Orange and had a decent experience, even saw a couple dresses I liked.  However, be forewarned that they spam your name like crazy.  After my visit there, I had endless phone calls about winning bridal packages, I suddenly started getting Oriental Trading bridal supply magazines in the mail, etc.  Also, if you go on a weekend day, it may be pretty crowded...
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_advice-going-dress-shopping-first-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:90397491-9e12-4529-b1ff-6420208757ffPost:2b8f873a-7e22-4891-97d6-c2c13b872c70">Re: Advice? Going dress shopping for the first time...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to 3.  Are you trying to do all 4 in one day? That might be a bit much
    Posted by Melissa603[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha no way!  I have it spread over 3 days at the moment.  1 a day.  I don't want to overwhelm myslef or the people coming with me :)</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I made only two appointments over a weekend initally.  I wanted to see what they had and if I could narrow down the style I wanted.  I fell in love with a dress at the first place but now that I know what looks good at me I think I'm going to try another place just to compare but  I feel like I'll most likely go with the dress from the first place (Mariellas).
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_advice-going-dress-shopping-first-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:90397491-9e12-4529-b1ff-6420208757ffPost:4ba0f1a9-ddce-4562-8fd9-b999e4940243">Re: Advice? Going dress shopping for the first time...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been to Marie's & Zoe's.... Marie's is small but they have a good selection! Do you know what designer/style you are looking for? They women are also very nice there! Zoe's is a hot mess to say the least! The owner is very blunt and comes off rude. Also a small shop. To me it seemed very disorganized and not worth it. Intially I went out for the first time to DB in Danbury to try a bunch of different styles since they have a wide variety and allow you to take pics. Once I narrowed the style down I started looking online and found a bunch of designers/styles that I liked. From there I went to a couple stores and ended up tracking down one dress (which ended up being THE one) and did alot of searching online. I tried on  & found my dress in the city but ordered it locally! Dress shopping is SO much fun!! Bring some close people with you but not too many, also bring water with you, a comfortable bra & deodorant (it is a workout LOL!!) Most of all have fun!!!! GL!
    Posted by kls114[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thanks Kim!  The one designer I've had my eye on since getting engaged (3 yrs ago!) is Maggie Sottero, so the I've chosen shops that carry those dresses.  I'm going to Davids for pretty much the same reason as you...just to get a feel for the different styles, and get some experience in trying on dresses first lol!</div><div>
    </div><div>Sad to hear Zoe's is a hot mess hahaha!  I may rethink that visit then...</div><div>
    </div><div>And thanks for the tip on water and deoderant, I would have overlooked that! :)</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_advice-going-dress-shopping-first-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:90397491-9e12-4529-b1ff-6420208757ffPost:e8c76a99-cbd0-498f-965b-94fc7ceda223">Re: Advice? Going dress shopping for the first time...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to 4 places over 2 weekends. I went to Marie's, Something Blue Bridal, Camille's Bridal, and Julie Allen Bridal. My favorite place by far was Julie Allen's Bridal. Marie's was small but had a decent selection. The consultant I had was very nice, but she had me go through the dresses myself. At that point I just wanted her to get an idea of what I wanted and find me dresses since she knew them better than I did. All the dresses were in plastic bags, and it was hard to tell what they actually looked like. Some people prefer to look at dresses themselves though, so I guess it's a matter of preference. Another thing I wasn't a big fan of was that she didn't clip me into all the dresses which were all 5 sizes too big on me. So there may have been some dresses that I would have liked better had they not been falling off of me. I don't think 4 places is too much but trying to visit them all in one day might be tough. Have a great time! Hope you find 'the one'   :)
    Posted by Mona8[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks Mona!  I'm spreading the trips out over 3 days.  This Sunday and then Monday and Tuesday of week after that, so hopefully I won't completely overwhelm myself!  Thanks for the tip on Marie's.  It really helps to know what to expect going into these places.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks!</div><div>
    </div>
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!  This really helps me feel better about my shopping trips!  I'll definitely let you all know how it goes and if I find the one!!

Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    i went to three different shops... harolds in new haven, april rose and mariellas.  i had a great experience at all 3!  by the end i had found styles and designers i liked and found the perfect dress at mariellas. the staff was great!  one other perk is that they give your BM's 10% off their dresses if you also get them there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards