Connecticut
Options

Has Anyone had or been to a wedding at the Westbrook Elks Club?

Hi,
I am usually on the Western MA board but thought you ladies would be more helpful. Smile
My FI really wants to be married on the beach, however we have an extremely tight budget. My friend suggested the Westbrook Elks Lodge after finding it on the web and I am wondering if anyone has been to a wedding there and can give a review?  TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Has Anyone had or been to a wedding at the Westbrook Elks Club?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a wedding there - the location can't be beat.  The ceremony was right on the water and the reception was in the main room.  The room was VERY plain, so you may need to do lots of decorating.  It was a beautiful day, so warning, if you have the same, you may lose your guests to the large outdoor deck!  At the wedding I was at, people preferred sitting out on the deck in the sun chatting vs. dancing and being part of the reception.  Just be ready for that possibility!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info!  Did they allow chairs on the beach for the ceremony?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Only the wedding party was on the beach...the guests were up above on the wall of the property.  Unfortunately we couldn't hear anything and only knew the it was over when they kissed!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My brother was married there! I also have attended all other types of parties there. The view is amazing, but as ali79 said, it can be hard to hear the ceremony because of wind and water crashing (however you'll have that at any beach location) The beach area that's in front of the venue is kind of small, so I don't know if chairs would work there. The venue is actually risen up off of the beach and there's probably a 5ft tall rock wall where the grass stops, then the wall drops, and then beach.  The space is quite large with high cielings and isn't really finished. It kind of has more of a rustic/casual feel. Exposed beams and stuff. He had 175 people there and they fit very comfortably. Basically one entire wall opens to the deck and basically gives the wedding an indoor/outdoor feel.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thank you for the reviews.  I am not afraid of having to decorate (I am actually looking forward to that part!) I will add this to the list of places to check out.  Thanks again!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if you've checked this place out yet- but I can give you some info. My FI's family has a beach cottage right on that road, Seaside Ave. We wanted to get married on the beach at the cottage, then have the guests walk to the Elk's club for the reception, which would have been quite convienent. Unfortunately, I really didn't like the place, it wasn't my style. The walls are wood paneling... and I asked about decorating, and you can not tack, tape, or glue anything to the wall. So your only optionwould be using some sort of stand to hold up fabric over the walls. Or lots of huge plants maybe? The outside of the place is slightly run down... although there is tons and tons and tons of parking - no need to worry about that. The beach is beautiful! there is a bar attached so there are other things going on while your wedding is going on. (some people mind this, some don't.) When we went, we did find it to be slightly smoky (even though there is no smoking inside in bars in CT?) and stale/musty inside. The view though, is beautiful, and inside there is cathedral ceilings. So it has great features and not so great features. I would check it out, it may work for you! We did end up choosing a different place. They sent me menu's and such, there prices seem reasonable... but their bar seems to me, be on the higher side. Let me know if you have any other questions!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KittyKitty member
    First Comment
    Does anyone have any pictures of their reception at the Elks club to share? It is way more reasonably priced than other venues in the area and I am seriously considering having my wedding there - it seems like I will need to do a bit of decorating but I bet it can be done!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards