Honeymoon Discussions
Options

honeymoon in NY

Going to Boston and NY for our Homeymoon, We are huge baseball fans, he loves the Red Sox and I'm a Yankee fan. Anyone have any suggestions for nice Hotels that are not crazy expiensive?

Re: honeymoon in NY

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited February 2013

Are you planning your Honeymoon around the Sox or Yankees being in town, or just going there because you are fans?

The reason I ask is because we planned our HM around our dear Detroit Tiger's visit to play the Oakland A's in September of 2011. We had never been to a road game. MLB teams post media guides on their websites, and all the MLB teams stay at the same hotels in each city (MLB has special rates at those hotels). So we actually planned our trip and stayed in the same hotel as the Tigers for 4 days/nights, which was awesome! I took a plain baseball and got lots of autographs in the lobby when we were coming/going, and we went to one game.

Anyway, I planned a 2 week trip from San Fran down to San Diego by using www.tripadvisor.com. Look up the cities you want to stay in, the hotels and restaurants are rated by real customers, and I was not disappointed once in any choice we made. Also, sign up for weekly "top 20" emails from www.travelzoo.com. You can specify the area(s) you want to stay in, ie Boston or NYC, and you'll get emails and deals emailed to you.

Also, sign up for the equivalent of "frequent flyer" specials with all the major hotel chains. Many have specials where they will upgrade you when you arrive if they have availability for a nicer room, etc. I have one with Loew's, and we got a fabulous upgrade when we arrived at the one near San Diego, and I hadn't stayed in a Loew's hotel in over 20 years, LOL. Also check with your employers and see if they have corporate rates with any of the chains. Most don't care if you are using the hotel for personal reasons, as long as you ask for the corporate rate.

If you are driving to either city, be prepared for garage storage fees. Large cities without a lot of street parking charge anywhere from $20 - $50 per night for your car. If you are flying, fly into one city, stay there and use mass transit (I've used both in Boston and NYC and they are safe and easy), then rent a car, drive it to the other city, and fly home from there. 3 way city flights, versus roundtrip, are not much more than roundtrip. For our HM we flew into San Fran, stayed 4 nights, then rented our car and drove down the California coast to San Diego, then flew home from there. My airfare was covered by my Delta miles, and this arrangement into/out of different cities only cost $20 more than roundtrip for my husband.

I lived near Boston, and the hotels for the most part are all fairly similarly priced (been back a few times). Try to get one as close as possible to downtown. Make sure to see the JFK library, and the standard things like the Old North Church, the Granary cemetery, have dinner at one of the Italian restaurants in North Boston.

Depending on how long you are staying in NYC, make sure to get to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island. If either of you have any family that came through Ellis Island in the late 1800's or early 1900's, it's possible to do a search on their computers there. If you are really ambitious you can do northern Manhattan in one day, and southern Manhattan on a second day. I did it with 2 kids several years ago, and with pre-planning online, it was pretty easy.

Sorry, that's more than you asked for, but thought I'd pass it all along.

ENJOY! And I'm sure the 2 feet of snow will be melted in Boston before you get there, LOL

• Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    Have you been to Boston or a Red Sox game?

My best advice to pick a hotel on a T line (not hard) and take the T to the game.  DON'T DRIVE!  Boston is small and that section of the city gets quickly overwhelmed when there's a game going on.  I lived two blocks from the park in the Fenway section for two years. 

Definitely take the T back to your hotel afterwards, too, but it's really hard to get on right after the game (people pack like sardines and it would scare the hell out of me to get on - like I couldn't breathe).  It clears out after a few trollies go through. 

There are quite a few bars and restaurants in the area (which will quickly become packed on game days). 

They also close down Yawkey (street on one side of the park) and make it an outdoor bar.  It's quite nice on a summer day to have a few beers outside before the game starts!

Enjoy!

EDIT: I just also wanted to throw out there that Amtrak trains run constantly from Boston to NYC.  The stations are in the middle of each city (South Station in Boston and Penn Station in Manhattan) and are easily connected to the mass transit lines.  I found trains to be a bit easier than flying, especially with such a short distance, but flying might work out easier for you!
  • Options
    For a bargain in Boston I recommend the Hyatt in Cambridge. It's super nice, and we have consistently gotten it for 75 to 100 on Priceline. You can walk to the T or even across the river to Fenway if you like a good walk. It's where FI proposed, so I'm pretty biased. Have fun!
  • Options
    what's your budget? dont stay near yankee stadium.
    i agree-take amtrak or you can fly pretty quickly and cheaply from JFK to logan.
    are you planning on going to a game in either city?
    you gave pretty much no info in your post-hard to answer.

what does 'crazy expensive' mean?

• Options
    McRogolMcRogol member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2013
    I second the advice on not staying near Yankee stadium!  Depending on what you want to do in the city, would really dictate where you stay.  NYC can be overwhelming if yuou've never been before.  If your main focus is to attend a Yankee game, then staying on the uptown will certainly make things easier for you.  The subways are jammed on game days, so be prepared to be packed in.  

As for Boston, I've only walked from the Back Bay to Fenway.  As a neighborhood I love the Back Bay and enjoy walking/running on commonwealth to the Boston Commons.  But that's not very touristy, so think about what you want to do in each city and make decisions from there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards