Connecticut

outdoor venues for a simple clambake/BBQ reception

Hi all - I recently got engaged to my fiance Peter. We both live in San Francisco at the moment but our families are in Rockland county and Fairfield County. We're thinking of doing a simple (but still elegant) outdoor reception - clambake or BBQ style. I'm looking for a space that I can either bring in catering and set up a tent (a park or something?) or a place that has a large outdoor space available for reception use. Our guest list will be big (around 250) so we need space. But we're looking to keep the budget down so not a traditional wedding venue. Any ideas would be great as it's so hard to plan from the west coast.  I'm thinking Fairfield county in CT or Westchester or Rockland in NY.
Thanks!
Anniversary

Re: outdoor venues for a simple clambake/BBQ reception

• edited December 2011
    I'm not sure about those locations for a clam bake but there are many places in Newport, RI that clambakes seem to be popular in. 
  • edited December 2011
    Not really near NY or Fairfield county, but Mystic Seaport has the Boat Shd onthe grounds for more informal/clam bake type weddings.
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • edited December 2011

Thanks. unfortunately I need it to be in those areas. I"ve found some caterers that do it which wouldn't be a problem but am wondering about a good spot to put a rented tent and tables in- Like a park near some water or something like that?

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Tom from Ciao! Catering does clam bakes and BBQs for sure.  He does a TON of wedding catering at many different venues.  It might be worth contacting him and ask if he knows of venues that fit the specifications that you're looking for.  Being the person putting on the party, he might be able to give you some good ideas.  He catered our wedding and it was absolutely amazing.... the best food out of all the caterers we tried and by far the best pricing.  They're located out of Danbury.

http://www.ciaocateringtwosteps.com/catering.html
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks - I will check him out!
    Anniversary
  • Amazing817Amazing817 member
    First Anniversary First Answer Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tom is amazing, highly rec. as well!
  • Amazing817Amazing817 member
    First Anniversary First Answer Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fairfield Beach is building a new building to hold events and I think it will hold about 225+. Its right on the beach, walk out to the sand! You will have to check their webpage, not too much to rent, plus comes with tables and will be a BRAND new facility! 

I really wanted to hold it there, perfect town, I went to college there, loved it!

http://cal.fairfieldct.org/content/2765/2789/2811/default.aspx
  • edited December 2011
    THanks! I did actually contact them but I think I'm going to have too many people. I'm going to be within 250 - 300. I also just found out that the church we're likely using is in Tenafly, NJ (on the Rockland county NY border) so I think this would be too far.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards