Honeymoon Discussions

Where are you HM'ing if your wedding is during hurricane season?

I'd love to hit the Caribbean (Couples Negril in particular), but with an early September wedding, I'm concerned about weather. Any other hurricane season brides chancing the Caribbean during that time?

Re: Where are you HM'ing if your wedding is during hurricane season?

• We're thinking about 'chancing' it, and getting trip insurance.  We're not going to do a cruise there, as we don't want to get rerouted to Canada, but are looking at islands a little further off of the hurricane path.
    Anniversary
  • Get traveler's insurance that covers cancellation/changes due to weather.

We HMed in Riveria Maya, MX in Oct and I've been there other times in early Oct as well.  90 degrees F and sunny both times.

I wouldn't be concerned about this.

• We're not taking a chance, we're getting married in October and have done 2 cruises in the Caribbean during the fall and have hit horrible storms both times.  My FI gets sick too, so that was definitely out of the question for our HM.  We're going to Oahu.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are honeymooning the first week in November and going to the Caribbean...most likely...still need to officially book it.  We considered Hawaii, too much time spent traveling.  Considered Mexico, the resorts we love are not close to airports and we don't want to deal with the hassle of extra transportation, plus longer travel time overal than the caribbean.  So we are booking an AI in the Caribbean and purchasing trip insurance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have been going on Caribbean cruises during hurricane season for the past 3 years (usually 1-2 cruises a year including HM last Oct), never encounter any storms. Just make sure you get trip insurance. Just because it's hurricane season doesn't mean it will rain every day. 
  • We went to Mexico in September and the weather was gorgeous. It was absolutely amazing and the prices were so ridiculously cheap. Even after the trip insurance we ended up saving around $100 a day. The resort was not crowded, we never had to fight for seats on the beach or at the pool. They had seats available at the pool bar as well. It was absolutely great. And IF a hurricane were to hit that exact tiny little spot on that exact time frame that we were travelling, they would have rescheduled at our convenience and it wouldn't have cost us a penny.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_hming-wedding-during-hurricane-season?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:6783a8e6-99c7-423a-b45c-d0d90764860dPost:4da52032-ba2c-4125-aaf6-40deb368db0d">Re: Where are you HM'ing if your wedding is during hurricane season?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're not taking a chance, we're getting married in October and have done 2 cruises in the Caribbean during the fall and have hit horrible storms both times.  My FI gets sick too, so that was definitely out of the question for our HM.  We're going to Oahu.
    Posted by dshrawder[/QUOTE]

You do realize there's still a chance for a hurricane to hit Hawaii, right?  It's an island.  In the middle of ocean.

We went to Europe, but not because we were scared of hurricanes.  We'd just done tropical vacations too many times already.  If you're set on a beach vacation, buy trip insurance that covers you against hurricanes.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • I just booked my honeymoon for Mexico (Riviera Maya) for late September.  I just made extra sure that our trip insurance covered hurricaines/weather.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There was a knot post secret about this ridiculous topic a couple weeks ago:

http://theknotpostsecret.tumblr.com/post/4688975828

And, I'm pretty sure that's all that needs to be said about that.
  • We're chancing it.  Going to St Lucia the last week of OCtober.  We got trip insurance and am hoping not to use it!  I am not so worried abotu hurricanes as I am about it just being rainy the whole time. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The chances of a hurricane hitting the island you're on the week or two that you're there are very small. Every time I've been on a cruise or to the Caribbean it's been during hurricane season and I've only seen it rain once nevermind storm.

Also, it's a big world out there waiting to be explored. The Caribbean is so close and easily attainable for other vacations throughout the years that the chances of going back any time you plan a vacation are a lot higher than say Europe or Asia. Have you looked into other parts of the world? Europe? South Africa? Hawaii? West coast of Mexico? French Polynesia? Southeast Asia? If you're really concerned about honeymooning in the Caribbean during hurricane season, then pick a destination other than the Caribbean or get trip insurance. I'd suggest looking elsewhere. DH and I honeymooned in Fiji because we had both been to a lot of the islands on cruises or AI stays and wanted to try something new and go somewhere we couldn't just pick up and go to easily later on down the road. It was a trip of a lifetime and I'm so glad we "spread our wings" and tried something farther away and new. Amazing experience!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_hming-wedding-during-hurricane-season?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6783a8e6-99c7-423a-b45c-d0d90764860dPost:ce3fa8b8-e51e-4343-b51f-a0afb6e19a00">Re: Where are you HM'ing if your wedding is during hurricane season?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There was a knot post secret about this ridiculous topic a couple weeks ago: <a href="http://theknotpostsecret.tumblr.com/post/4688975828" rel='nofollow'>http://theknotpostsecret.tumblr.com/post/4688975828</a> And, I'm pretty sure that's all that needs to be said about that.
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

I like you (ps- and I know you've been here and are around, but the more I read your posts, the more I likey)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_hming-wedding-during-hurricane-season?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6783a8e6-99c7-423a-b45c-d0d90764860dPost:7f2f9b26-af59-4080-b1e9-65251ed5157b">Re: Where are you HM'ing if your wedding is during hurricane season?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The chances of a hurricane hitting the island you're on the week or two that you're there are very small. Every time I've been on a cruise or to the Caribbean it's been during hurricane season and I've only seen it rain once nevermind storm. Also, it's a big world out there waiting to be explored. The Caribbean is so close and easily attainable for other vacations throughout the years that the chances of going back any time you plan a vacation are a lot higher than say Europe or Asia. Have you looked into other parts of the world? Europe? South Africa? Hawaii? West coast of Mexico? French Polynesia? Southeast Asia? If you're really concerned about honeymooning in the Caribbean during hurricane season, then pick a destination other than the Caribbean or get trip insurance. I'd suggest looking elsewhere. DH and I honeymooned in Fiji because we had both been to a lot of the islands on cruises or AI stays and wanted to try something new and go somewhere we couldn't just pick up and go to easily later on down the road. It was a trip of a lifetime and I'm so glad we "spread our wings" and tried something farther away and new. Amazing experience!
    Posted by SuMmErKuTiE[/QUOTE]

Wish I could, but the Caribbean is what fits in the budget and since he's never travelled outside the states, it'll still be something new.

The only reason I asked was because I did do a cruise at the end of November and had horrible weather and wasted a day sick in the cabin.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_hming-wedding-during-hurricane-season?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6783a8e6-99c7-423a-b45c-d0d90764860dPost:4b1a755f-e2b8-4495-8c76-693de722ed82">Re: Where are you HM'ing if your wedding is during hurricane season?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where are you HM'ing if your wedding is during hurricane season? : Wish I could, but the Caribbean is what fits in the budget and since he's never travelled outside the states, it'll still be something new. The only reason I asked was because I did do a cruise at the end of November and had horrible weather and wasted a day sick in the cabin.
    Posted by Eener23[/QUOTE]

Ughh I'm sorry you spent a day sick in the cabin. I cruised in November 2 years ago and we had perfect weather the whole time, except a little rain the day we boarded the cruise. Since you're prone to seasickness it's a good thing you're planning a stay at a resort in case of inclimate weather. Have you looked into the west coast of Mexico? Such as Cabo San Lucas or Puerta Vallarta? They have beautiful AI's that should be even cheaper than in Jamaica and it's out of the Caribbean hurricane zone since it's on the Pacific ocean side. HTH!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_hming-wedding-during-hurricane-season?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6783a8e6-99c7-423a-b45c-d0d90764860dPost:a8f8f0f7-1490-4c68-bf3d-cb856fdc5114">Re: Where are you HM'ing if your wedding is during hurricane season?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Ughh I'm sorry you spent a day sick in the cabin. I cruised in November 2 years ago and we had perfect weather the whole time, except a little rain the day we boarded the cruise. Since you're prone to seasickness it's a good thing you're planning a stay at a resort in case of inclimate weather. Have you looked into the west coast of Mexico? Such as Cabo San Lucas or Puerta Vallarta? They have beautiful AI's that should be even cheaper than in Jamaica and it's out of the Caribbean hurricane zone since it's on the Pacific ocean side. HTH!
    Posted by SuMmErKuTiE[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much! I'll look into that. :)
  • We married in October, honeymooned in Fiji.
  • We are going the first week of September and doing a cruise (St Maarteen, St Thomas and Bahamas). We wanted to go right away after our wedding- and we couldn't afford Europe or anything and really wanted to try a cruise...plus the prices were SO cheap during that time.

From what I've read if you are on a cruise, and bad weather is heading your way- the cruise ship will just re-route you to another port away from the storm.  The technology they have these days is pretty amazing- so they can outrun the storms.

If you are staying on a resort- you have less of a chance to get away from the storm if it hits because you are committed to that location.

Trip insurance is definitely the way to go though!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_hming-wedding-during-hurricane-season?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:6783a8e6-99c7-423a-b45c-d0d90764860dPost:20d7d0c4-eb7f-49af-a501-24cc7a83fdc6">Re: Where are you HM'ing if your wedding is during hurricane season?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where are you HM'ing if your wedding is during hurricane season? : I like you (ps- and I know you've been here and are around, but the more I read your posts, the more I likey)
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

*does flamboyant bow* :D Thanks HZ.
  • We are going to Jamaica right after our wedding in September! We went on a cruise around the same time about 2 years ago from Florida to Mexico and had beautiful weather the entire time. Just like PP says just get trip insurance.  
    Anniversary

September 2011 Siggy Challenge- Favorite Ceremony Photo
    Photobucket
  • we are taking the chance, but we did get trip insurance.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're going at the end of August to Mexico and we bought trip insurance.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are going to Dreams Puerto Vallarta
  • I went to Jamaica a few years ago during hurricane season.  It rained for about an hour each day in the late afternoon, late enough that we'd been outside for long enough and it gave us time to nap and shower before dinner.

We're going to the South Pacific in Nov for our honeymoon.  No clue what the weather will be like rain-wise, but I'm not worrying about that.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • maddie7maddie7 member
    First Comment
    Aruba! - out of hurricane belt!
  • You can have bad weather anywhere.  It's the one thing you can't control.  Go where you want (and can afford) get trip insurance and call it a day.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards