Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Corsica/Sardinia

We're thinking of spending our Honeymoon in Corsica/Sardinia in July.  Has anyone been/have any thought/tips?

Re: Corsica/Sardinia

• Options
    I have not been to that part of Italy, but have been to others. July is one of the warmest, most crowded, and most expensive times of year to travel to Italy, and especially that area. It will be extremely hot, humid, and full of people.

• Options
    I have researced going there as well. From what I had read in the past, it is still a very big tourist destination in July/August. I am one to avoid crowds, though. Just be prepared for a lot of sun and heat!

• Options
    I went to Sardinia many many moons ago, like 15-20 years ago.  At that time it was very desolate.  I'm not sure if it's still the same.  I remember the resort my parents and I stayed at was like the only thing around for like a mile.  I got a really bad sunburn b/c the sun was so strong and I was in the pool all day.  The beach is beautiful but it was strange as there were no fish or life it seemed in the water.  It is not a place I'd go back to.  I think if you are looking for an island feel you could go somewhere a lot closer.  If you're going to Italy, I'd suggest staying on the mainland to take advantage of the history.  
  • Options
    BulgariHeartBulgariHeart member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    Sardinia is one of the most gorgeous places in Italy. Stintino is definitely at the top of my italian beaches list.
    The North part of the island is the posh one so depending on your preferences I'd opt for Costa Smeralda, Olbia, Porto Cervo, La Maddalena, Stintino, Porto Torres if you want crowd, nightlife, celbrities on top of dreamy turquoise waters; or viceversa, if you want quiet time opt for the South part of the Island. Sardinia could easily be visited in its entirety and wherever you go you'll find amazing beaches. 

• Options
    Since you're staying 4 days I would say Palau is the best option. From there you can easily catch the ferries to the islands (La Maddalena, Caprera, Budelli, Spargi, Tavolara etc.). Porto Cervo and Costa Smeralda will be a 30 min to a hour drive away. Santa Teresa di Gallura will also be a 30 min drive away, only in the opposite direction. I also recommend doing the boat excursion of the archipelago! The boat is called Marinella IV. If you can swing renting a small yatch with other people it's worth taking a dive from out there!
    Palau is less touristy and less pricey than Costa Smeralda, this reflects on prices in the local restaurants and "osterie" and in the local supermarkets. The town itself is small and totally walkable.

Some of the beaches, in random order, I can recommend are 
    Porto Pollo (Isola dei Gabbiani), Spiaggia del Principe, Le Saline, La Marmorata, La Rena Bianca and Capo Testa. 
    I do think you should get a good guide! LOL

July is high season but August would have been a whole lot worse, don't worry.

Some say that Santa Teresa di Gallura is better than Costa Smeralda, so definitely keep it your must-visit list.

I can't advise on Corsica as I've never been. You can board the ferry with your rental car and start your visit right off the boat instead of having to rent a new one. 
    If I may add, I would spend one more day in Sardinia and one less in Corsica but I'm biased ;)

• Options
    No problem, happy planning!
  • Options
    I was in Sardinia in July for just a day (a stop on a cruise).  Our port was Olbia, which didn't seem too impressive.  It didn't help that it was likely their "siesta" time when I was walking around.  The emerald coast was gorgeous and I was very impressed with Porto Cervo.  Very opulant.  Everything seemed really quiet in the two towns we stopped in.  I think you'll have an amazing time on both islands. 

FYI - there were people from Sardinia that got onto our cruise when we were there and they didn't know as much english as people from the mainland.  Since there are fewer English-speaking tourists that visit there, you might need to have a phrase-book handy.

• Options
    I doubt you'll find french speaking italians in Sardegna. I do think that hotel staff will be able to communicate in English, though. Corse is french so I'm sure that's what they'll speak there. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards