Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Beach Honeymoon in October?

We are having our wedding in mid October, and are unsure of what a good, warm beach destination for that time of year would be. I know certain areas go through their rainey/ hurricane seasons at that time, so if possible we would like to avoid that sort of bad weather.

Does anyone have suggestions as to good destinations for that time of year?

Thank you!

Re: Beach Honeymoon in October?

• Options
    What is your budget? Also Hurricane does not mean Rainy. Those are very different seasons.

More than likely the advice you will get will be: Book the honeymoon you want and get trip insurance.

• Options
    I am aware that hurricanes and rainy seasons are different things-- I was saying that we would like to avoid both.

Budget is fairly flexible, as we have a while to save.
  • Options
    Well flexible could be anywhere from 1k up to 20k. So it really depends on how much you want to spend.

What are you two looking for in a honeymoon? Are you looking mostly for beach time or to have a lot of fun and do as much as you can. How much vacation time will you have as well? Some people want to be in very posh type resorts, others want reclusive and remote.

When we went to Mexico a couple years ago it was in September, right in the middle of the Hurrican season. We didn't care because the price was so affordable and we got trip insurance. The resorts are practically abandoned that time of the year. It was nice too because the staff took extra care of us and went above and beyond to remember us and take care of us. It really was an amazing time. We spent about 2k and another $500 on tickets to local parks and on souveneirs. It was very affordable and one of the best trips we have ever taken. That is actually where we got engaged.

For our honeymoon we ended up going to Europe. If you have a large enough budget you could pretty much go anywhere though. You could go to the Seychelles or Fiji. If you are trying to keep it a little more affordable look into Mexico, Jamaica or the Dominican Republic. But just listing a beach honeymoon that you can go to in October you could get 100 different answers.

The more information you give us the more we can help you. :-)

• Options
    Clearwater, Sarasota, Siesta Key, Captiva. 

West coast of Florida is not likely to be hit by a hurricane from Atlantic Ocean, would have to sneak through a tiny channel to get into the Gulf of Mexico at all, and once in the Gulf, would likely go to east coast of Texas or New Orleans.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_beach-honeymoon-in-october?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6b9f3870-b41c-4eb7-8147-c30ee9dda39ePost:2bad5029-1847-4e7e-bf8e-0edb908bbb28">Re: Beach Honeymoon in October?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am aware that hurricanes and rainy seasons are different things-- I was saying that we would like to avoid both. Budget is fairly flexible, as we have a while to save.
    Posted by Didgeridoo[/QUOTE]

To be realistic you can never be sure that it won't rain at any time during your HM.  There is always a chance weather will rear its ugly head.

• Options
    I agree with dazy. We really need a good idea of "flexible" To some on here, $5K is way breaking the budget, to others $20K is more than reasonable.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_beach-honeymoon-in-october?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6b9f3870-b41c-4eb7-8147-c30ee9dda39ePost:526d072c-5efc-4284-8386-2c43d2061c84">Re: Beach Honeymoon in October?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with dazy. We really need a good idea of "flexible" To some on here, $5K is way breaking the budget, to others $20K is more than reasonable.
    Posted by Jells2dot0[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I had neglected to check the boards for a few days. Our budget would probably be $5-10K.

And yes I know that bad weather can strike at any time-- trip insurance is definitely a good suggestion. But I do not know the climates or particular weather patterns of many tropical destinations.

I was hoping that perhaps someone on the boards was more familiar with these patterns than I was, and could advise which areas <em>generally</em> are not in hurricane/ rainy season at that time of year. When I say Rainy season, by the way, I am using that term because I've seen many destination guides use it, referring to the time of year they tend to get the most rain.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards