Honeymoon Discussions

Mediterranean Cruise June '11

Has anyone been on a Mediterranean cruise. I am looking to tour Italy and would love to see Nice, Frace. We have never been on a cruise before and it is either that or going to a resort in the Caribbean. We are having trouble deciding!! Please help. Ideas, reviews, suggestions...

Thanks

Re: Mediterranean Cruise June '11

• Are you and your FI looking for an adventurous HM or a relaxing HM? Mediterranean cruises are amazing, but can be very exhausting because of all the site-seeing and tours you'll do when in port. If you were to go to a resort in the Caribbean, you could just relax on the beach most of the time. Either trip would be amazing and memorable, but it should come down to what type of HM you're looking for. HTH!
  • I went on a Mediterranean cruise for my honeymoon in September 2009.  It was 7 nights, and we visited Naples, Rome, Florence, and the south of France.  In the south of France, one of the ports was very close to Nice (just a short train ride).

Although some days were a bit tiresome from the sightseeing (especially in Rome - we did a full day excursion), I would not have changed my decision to go. In my opinion, I can go to a Caribbean resort anytime. 

I went on Royal Caribbean, and the cruise left out of Barcelona, which we stayed in 2 days before the cruise left and a day after the cruise came back.
  • Diana That is the cruise we are going on for our honeymoon.  Did you go through Royal Caribbean?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, it was on Royal Caribbean.

The only thing that got a bit annoying was that every single announcement was repeated, including at the evening shows. Because the cruise is out of Spain, a lot of guests are Europeans who don't speak English, so every night there was an English announcement and then a Spanish announcement.
  • Thanks everyone! We want both a sightseeing and relaxing HM. It is such a tough choice. I just want to have an enjoyable trip. I have also never been on a cruise or out of the counrty so I also don't want to be miserable on a boat or stressed with language deliveries. The money is an issue too. Cruises are expensive, but a great way to see a lot of places. Someone today mentioned Barbados....
  • Cruises can be great alternatives for budget-minded people... but not Med cruises.  Keep in mind, you still have to pay for airfare plus hotels before/after cruise.  Dining and shopping is very expensive in the ports the cruises visit.

If you want to try a cruise, why not try a Caribbean cruise out of San Juan, PR?  They can be fairly inexpensive and you can spend a few days exploring Puerto Rico before or after the cruise.  There always seem to be great hotel deals for PR too!

Here is a great example:
    7 night Royal Caribbean: departing June 19th out of San Juan, PR
    Ports of Call: Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Maarten and St Croix.
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."
  • I agree with the previous poster.  We are looking at doing the same thing...cruise or trip to Europe.  The upside is we always have a place to stay and food is inlcuded.  The down side, to visit Rome (what I really want) is $800 for the excursion for me and my hubby to be.  That is what is making me wonder is it really worth it.
    Teresa & Bill June 10, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards