Connecticut
Options

jack and jill party???

So I have only been invited to one Jack and Jill. I could not make it so Im not sure exactly what one is. To raise money for the couple? Like for the wedding or honeymoon? I know lots of people that have them and I have never heard of a complaint on them having to go to one. WHo pays for the food and venue and such? And what is a good amount to charge for the tickets to get in? I have heard anywhere from $5-50! Also..is the party pretty much just food and dancing and booze? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. TY!!!
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: jack and jill party???

• Options
    Swiftsong8Swiftsong8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "I know lots of people that have them and I have never heard of a complaint on them having to go to one."

I meant to say I know of a lot of people who have had jack and jills. But I have never heard of anyone complainging about getting invited to the partys or going to them.
  • Options
    jmestylejmestyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's fine as long as you don't have a shower and FI has a stag. Just do a jack & jill and thats it.

I have no idea what to charge. I'm assuming you pay for the food and booze.
    The money is used for wedding related expenses
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should probably read the post from last week regarding Jack and Jill. 
  • Options
    jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi OP - yes, please scroll down a bit and read last week's post on the Jack and Jill, but also, please re-consider.

I'm sure you've never heard any complaints, because most people really are too polite to complain about such a thing, but it's not the responsibility of anyone except you and your FI to pay for your wedding.  It's not appropriate to do any sort of fundraising (Jack and Jill, dollar dance, etc) where your friends and family are paying or contributing for your wedding expenses.  If they offer you cash without being solicited, that's one thing, but these activities are not the way to go.
  • Options
    Whippet8Whippet8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_jack-jill-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:df834c90-d2a7-4b18-9ad6-6e9de1058eb6Post:d7912cf4-6c50-4334-943e-a9ae2c194312">Re: jack and jill party???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi OP - yes, please scroll down a bit and read last week's post on the Jack and Jill, but also, please re-consider. I'm sure you've never heard any complaints, because most people really are too polite to complain about such a thing, but it's not the responsibility of anyone except you and your FI to pay for your wedding.  It's not appropriate to do any sort of fundraising (Jack and Jill, dollar dance, etc) where your friends and family are paying or contributing for your wedding expenses.  If they offer you cash without being solicited, that's one thing, but these activities are not the way to go.
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]

THIS.
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Swiftsong8Swiftsong8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

TY ladies! I did read the other post about jack and jills. I never wanted such a things, but my fiance begged me to see what other people thought. And yay..I won that one! Jack and jil..not for me!

• Options
    dom922dom922 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi All....I'm doing a Jack and Jil.  We didn't have an engagement party and are doing an early summer bbq/get-together.  It's casual and people are more than happy to bring gifts.  I guess it's how your friends and families view it.  I have three older sisters and each of them had the same when they got married.  It worked well for us.  Although it may not work well for others...I wouldn't kill the idea.  Nowadays, people do the "strangest" things and as long a it works for them...then who cares... 
  • Options
    dom922dom922 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh yea...to answer your question....we are not asking anyone to pay for food, drinks, etc...
  • Options
    Whippet8Whippet8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_jack-jill-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:df834c90-d2a7-4b18-9ad6-6e9de1058eb6Post:1e591157-a8fc-4300-bdad-3b4edf808372">Re: jack and jill party???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh yea...to answer your question....we are not asking anyone to pay for food, drinks, etc...
    Posted by dom922[/QUOTE]

The type of Jack and Jill that most people have problems with are when the guests have to buy tickets in order to attend, and then the extra money goes toward the bride and groom...like a fundraiser. So, the only reason your guests would be going would be so you can make money off of them...

I don't think that people have a problem with the type of party you're talking about.
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    dom922dom922 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok...thanks for clarifying.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards