Honeymoon Discussions

Carribean during "Rainy" Season??

Getting married in September of 2013 and have been told not to go to the Carribean for our honeymoon because this is "rainy"season.  Any experience going during Late September/Early October??  Other suggestions of places with all inclusive?

Re: Carribean during "Rainy" Season??

• We went to Mexico in September and it was awesome. We had one little storm roll through and it lasted about 20 minuets. I think people confuse hurricane season with rainy season. Most tropical places have a little bit of rain maybe once a day though and it usually doesn't last long. When we were in Florida almost every afternoon we had a little bit of rain and then it cleared up and the rest of the day was gorgeous.

• edited October 2012
    Agree with dazzy- people call it rainy season because it just happens to be hurricane season. Hurricanes are few and far between and when you happen to have one nearby, yes, it's rainy. However, when one isn't around, the weather is typically fabulous. Keep in mind that it is the tropics and it can rain at any time during any season.

What is your budget? What part of the Caribbean are you most interested in? You'll find the majority of all inclusives on Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, and in the Rivieria Maya/Cancun part of Mexico. Other islands have some all inclusives (St. Lucia, Antigua, Bahamas) but not nearly as many options as the three mentioned above.

• Another island to check out for AI is Aruba and they are out of the hurricane belt...
  • OP, I went to the USVI in late October/early November last year and of our 8 days there, it rained for 3 days.  You may get lucky and only have a quick passing rain storm, but hurricanes and rain storms are certainly possible.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I've been to Rivieria Maya twice in October and had beautiful 90 degree sunny weather both trips.
  • Hi Button, fellow USVI lover!

We went to St John, USVI for 9 days in early October this fall.  Sunny and beautiful the entire trip with an occasional rain cloud for about 5 minutes here or there.  No worries.  It is hurricane season, so to be safe we bought trip insurance. 

We went in June 2011 the year prior and we only had one sunny day and the rest were rain.  So don't worry about the weather.  Worry about something you can control.

• We are going to Costa Rica in 19 days for our honeymoon (mid-November) and it is the end of  their rainy season. But it's the tropics if it does rain it will rain for maybe an hour and then clear up and the rest of the day will be fine! Plus, usually you can save money since it is not a prime travel time. You will be fine! You will probably have some rain but usually not an entire day of downpour. 

• aruba is out of the belt but has been hit by hurricanes in the past-it's just much less likely than the balance of the caribbean.

plan for it to rain a bit each day. if it does you're prepared, if it doesn't then great. usually its a short afternoon storm to clear out the humidity.

• We recently returned from our Honeymoon....Sept 16-23rd in Negril, Jamaica (Couples Swept Away....AMAZING!!!) and it rained for a total of maybe an hour during our entire trip. They tend to have an afternoon sprinkle for 10-15 min every day around 4pm, which is welcome after an entire day of sunshine. We'd usually just stay on the beach or in the water during this time. The weather was absolutely incredible. I've traveled to the Caribbean in January, February,April, December, September, October, November...it always rains for a bit but I've never experienced bad weather for the entire week. 

Laura 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited October 2012
    PPs are all right, however, remember you can't control the weather. We attempted to go away last year in September and the hurricanes and tropical storms were lined up throughout the caribbean. We canceled twice and eventually changed our destination and took our honeymoon 5 weeks later. My good friend attempted to to St. John the week after my wedding after HER late August wedding was during Irene (and her honeymoon got delayed) and got stuck in Puerto Rico for two nights getting there, one night coming back, and had rain 3/4 days. It was a bad six weeks of weather! Here are some things we learned: *Aruba and Barbados are the furthest outside of the hurricane belt. That doesn't mean they won't get hit, but their weather is typically better (we wound up in Barbados because we had already visited Aruba) *Many islands shut down during the rainy season. From Oct through Dec, you'll get limited availability at restaurants, attractions, etc. We tried to go to Anguilla (for the food) but it wasn't worth it because 50% of the restaurants were closed. *TAKE THE INSURANCE. For the $300 we paid, we got all of our money back not once, but twice when we had to cancel due to weather. *USE A TRAVEL AGENT. Ours was at no cost to us and followed all the storms. The morning after our wedding, she called to tell us "you're not going" and already had a ton of options ready. *have a plan B. When we couldn't go away, we used frequent flier miles and took a minimoon....a short, 3 night trip to Arizona. No rain there! Lol With the right preparation, you'll be ready to go no matter what the weather is. Good luck!
  • Don't do it!!!! It's like playing the slots in Las Vegas. It is a 50/50 chance you are taking.  Just came back from St. Lucia - three days of down pours and the mosquitos were very happy.  To play it safe, go to Aruba...your guaranteed great weather.  Wish we would have done that, we were to Aruba once before and we wanted to see another island, however, rainy season in the Caribean, is just that, The Rainy Season.
  • i was worried about the hurricane/rain season too but we just came back from Anguilla after our September 15th wedding and it was absolutely amazing.  we stayed at meads bay villas (more or less one of the only places open in off-season) and it was great- food choices were limited to the same couple of places each night- but we didn't care....and it saved us money since we had a full kitchen, fridge, etc. so we were able to have groceries (just snacks, cereal etc.) and aside from only 2 other couples we came across, we were the only non-locals on the island- i would definitely go back!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards