Connecticut

Bridal Shower etiquette question...

Hi everyone- My shower is this Sunday, and I have started recieving gifts at my home. From what I understand: I open these gifts, but do not use them until after the shower, write a thank you note as soon as I recieve them? I had always thought I would just bring them to the shower with me and open them there, regardless of if the person who sent it is attending the shower or not...thoughts??

Re: Bridal Shower etiquette question...

• Are they from people who are attending the shower?

I thought any gifts received at home, you opened and send thank you note for right away, and then didn't use till after the wedding.

I would never think to bring them to the shower to open, there will be enough to open there, I would think.
  • My shower is this Sunday too!! I think you can wait until after the shower to send it. It's only a matter of days. The only gifts I opened  and sent a thank you note right away for where the ones that came super early, like two months before.
  • I went to a shower where the bride opened gifts that were shipped to her FMIL's house for the shower and she opened them at the shower even though the people were not there. I thought it was a nice touch.

However, depending how far away you live from the shower it might not be worth it. I live in Boston and my shower is in CT so I would not be bringing gifts down to open them. I think its a nice touch to send the thank you as soon as you can/right after your shower! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Right except I don't think you're supposed to use the gifts until after the wedding (not the shower).  I didn't bring any gifts I had received prior to the shower. I actually hadn't thought of this but, IMO, you're going to be opening so many gifts as it is (and it takes SUCH a long time), I wouldn't want to add more to that process. Also, like you said, if you write your thank you's now, you're going to want to have already opened the gift so that you can personalize the thank you.   However, maybe bringing gifts to the shower is a tradition in your family?  Tradition seems to trump etiquette haha. 
    I'm curious about other people's opinions  :)
  • I'm curious too! I'm an only child, the last family wedding anyone in my family attended was well over 20 years ago, so there really is no tradition. I just wasn't sure what to do. There are some individuals who cannot make the shower that are dropping gifts off  at FMIL's house...so I'm wondering if it's strange to have theirs at the shower, but not others who sent theirs to me early? I just really don't know. I think it depends how many I get....
  • I've never seen anybody transport gifts to the shower.  If they left them with someone else to bring to your shower then that's ok, but I don't think you need to bring them to the shower.  I know I personally wouldn't.  There are 80 something people invited to my shower so bringing extra gifts would be too much.  Watching people open a ton of gifts gets boring after a while.  (Sorry, don't anybody flame me for this....I've just been to sooo many bridal and baby showers in the last 5 years). 
  • I would say open them, send out thank you's and don't use the items until after the wedding.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I hate being the center of attention, so I think I'll just leave them at home. Less time opening gifts. I want it to go as quick as possible.
  • I don't understand the "don't use until after the wedding thing" - can someone explain? Who's going to know that you used something?
  • I'm going through the same thing. I was told to aknowldge the person at the shower by saying, and thank you so and so for the pots and pans, and thank you so and so for the duvet cover. So other people know what you got. I think that's what I'm going to do on Saturday.
    mikeandtine.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have also been told to acknowledge that you received the gifts at the shower, especially if there person is there.  Think about it logistically as well, if someone bought you all of your china for instance and had it shipped to your home (the bridal party did that for my sister's shower), would you bring it? Or if it was a large item?  I would just say "Thanks to my aunt marge who got me knives" etc. 

I know exactly what you mean about being the center of attention!! I HATE opening gifts in front of people.  Good luck and ENJOY!!! :)
  • I believe the ettiquette of not using until after the wedding was supposed to be in case something happened at the last minute and the wedding never happened.  Then the gifts could be sent back.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards