Honeymoon Discussions

Sandals Registry

Has anyone registered for a hineymoon registry? My daughter and her fiance don't really want gifts. Money would be preferable, but of course you can't ask for that. She would really like to go to Jamaica and would probably go weather she did the registry or not. Just wondering if anyone thought that it was tacky. the sandals.com website looks really user friendly. I know that their are other similiar websites out their, but if she were gonna use one, this is the one that she said that she would like to use. Thoughts everyone?

Re: Sandals Registry

• my FI and I registered for our honeymoon as well as a few things at Bed Bath and Beyond.  I don't think it is tacky at all, we have lived together for 2 years and have all the pots and pans etc we need :) 
    My only advice is have her register through a travel agent, not Sandals.com because Sandals.com costs money for the people that are giving the gift, like they add a charge to the amount that the person is giving.Cool
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_sandals-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:7521663d-8792-43bc-85f4-199a2f881082Post:45581a84-9d67-48ae-89f7-64ef6ce61d74">Sandals Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone registered for a hineymoon registry? My daughter and her fiance don't really want gifts. <strong>Money would be preferable, but of course you can't ask for that.</strong> She would really like to go to Jamaica and would probably go weather she did the registry or not. Just wondering if anyone thought that it was tacky. the sandals.com website looks really user friendly. I know that their are other similiar websites out their, but if she were gonna use one, this is the one that she said that she would like to use. Thoughts everyone?
    Posted by CVALANN123[/QUOTE]

<div>A HM registry is pretty much the same thing. I think that you will find that most Knotties, myself included, find these very tacky. It is really just another way of asking for money. If guest ask you what your daughter and her FI would like as a wedding gift you can always say "well, their house is already pretty complete, but I know that they are saving up for a honeymoon."</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really dont see the difference between registering or for pots and pans or registering for a HM. The guest is still being asked for money.
  • It's totally acceptable for you (not the bride and groom) to spread, via word of mouth, that the couple would really appreciate cash.

I think registries are bad across the board, but I know I'm in the minority in that opinion.
  • masonwalkermasonwalker member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    I don't think it is "very tacky" at all. 
    Photobucket
  • In my time on TK, I've come to the opinion that it depends on your individual guests.  Ask around a bit if they think it's something they can get on board with, etc.  If it is, then by all means, shoot for a HM registry.  If it's not, then have them do a very small traditional registry and go by word of mouth that they are really saving up for a honeymoon, etc.  You will always have people that prefer to give a tangible gift no matter where they are registered, and you will always have people who prefer to give cash no matter where they are registered, so it's really just finding a balance between your guests' ideals about it and going from there.
    Anniversary
  • HM/cash registries are tacky. Asking for cash is never appropriate even when you try to disguise it as a HM registry. If a guest wants to give cash gift, they will give it on their own without being asked for it. People aren't stupid, they know cash is always appreciated.
  • I don't think it is tacky at all.  However, me and FI are going to St. Lucia next April through Sandals.  And we are not doing a honeymoon registry simply because we would rather have cash or gift certificates to stores so that we can purchase things to take on the honeymoon.  Another reason is because I have seen alot of posts on this website about the cost of certain tours you can take through Sandals and what a waste it is.  Not saying all are a waste, but it seems like most people had a better time for their money if they paid a separate vendor to do the same that Sandals offers (and most that you read have gotten more for their money).  I personally would rather sit by the pool sipping on my (insert drink name of your choice) than have someone pay $100 per person (at cheapest) to do something I'm really not interested in.  This is just a thought. And if your daughter is going through Sandals, it is all inclusive.  So, for someone to pay for your daughter and husband to have a dinner by the beach, just to me seems like a waste.  This is just my feeling, and I know this post is long, but just giving you something to think about.
  • CVALANN123 - I noticed you are in CT. We did our honeymoon registry through Custom Travel in Wallingford, CT. They are a premeir Sandals dealer (we went to St. Lucia). They do not charge any fees or anything for doing a registry through them. And as far as results of our registry, about half of my shower guests contributed to it. We worked with Veronica. If you go there, tell her Megan sent you!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • A HM registry isn't tacky, it's a registry, period. We have one. We're happy to have it, our families are happy, our guests are happy. Unless you know your daughter is going to have 100% closed-minded, bigot guests I'd say you will come to the logic conclusion that all registries are born equal, so to speak. Personally I also think that the people who so fervently despise them, are jealous. But this is a very very personal opinion, hope it doesn't come through the wrong way.
  • I dont think HM registries are tacky either! However The Sandals website keeps 5 % of the money they recieve, so it might be better to go through someone else, or even look into honeyfund.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards