Honeymoon Discussions

Barcelona/Mallorca, Spain - suggestions?

My fiancee and I are planning a honeymoon in Spain and Italy and we're stuck on what hotels to book. Has anyone been to Barcelona or Mallorca? Any suggestions for hotels/neighborhoods to spend the most time in/things to see?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Barcelona/Mallorca, Spain - suggestions?

• ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2010
    Barcelona is for museums, cafes, and wandering around the city; Mallorca is for going to the beach...  So it really depends on what you want to do.  Personally, I'd go to Barcelona.  There's a ton of info on TripAdvisor ;)
  • I've been to both.  Barcelona is a city with lots of touristy things/historical.  Mallorca is a gorgeous island, great crystal water and to me more romantic for a honeymoon.  We stayed at an all-inclusive in Mallorca.  Barcelon we stayed right on Las Ramblas- I recommend hotels right on this street as its the main hub of everything and you can walk to everything.  Wear sneakers- the cobblestones can be a killer.  I liked Mallorca better, we found Barcelona dirty and you were constantly watching your bag...  http://www.frommers.com/destinations/barcelona/N29111.html is a cool bar in Bacelona.
  • If you go to Barcelona, make sure you go to Parc Guel-it was amazing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • h1lloydh1lloyd member
    First Comment
    Thanks guys. What hotels did you all stay in when you were in Barcelona? 
  • kpasckpasc member
    First Comment
    We're going to Barcelona for our honeymoon, and will be staying there at the beginning and end of our trip.  Seems like in Barcelona the best areas to stay are Eixample, Barri Gotic, or La Rambla.  Our first hotel is the Ayre Hotel Caspe, and then before we return home we're staying at 987 Barcelona.  Both are beatifully designed modern hotels, and we got great deals.

Let me know if you have any questions about Italy - I've been 3x, and got engaged in Venice in 2007!
  • h1lloydh1lloyd member
    First Comment
    Thanks K! I do have a few questions about Italy if you can help. We're thinking about staying in Capri for a few days, but we're debating this or Tuscany or Florence. We're thinking after Barcelona and Mallorca, we might want some relaxation and sunshine. Our last stop after Capri or Florence or Tuscany will be Rome. Any suggestions of which area is better? 
    PS - congrats on your beautiful engagement! :)
  • Hi! I am from Spain, so if you need any help just send me an email at gracia-at-gmail-com I'm happy to help! I'm not around here much, so that's probably faster.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We rented an apartment in Barceloneta- the old part of Barcelona. It was amazing. If you really want a feel for local life, I'd highly recommend renting an apartment. We met many local people and they gave us great food and shopping recs. Plus we were able to get food from the market and cook for ourselves sometimes. The web site we used to rent was homeaway.com and we are going to use it again the next time we go to Europe. Plus renting was a lot cheaper than a hotel. 

La Rambla was ok, but it was ridiculously crowded the day we went, and I thought it was touristy, but if you are looking for that, definitely go. It was fun to do though. If you want to get around Barcelona and see the major sights, I'd suggest taking a hop on/off tourist bus. It was 22euro/day and you can get on and off the bus as many times as you like. If you can figure out the regular bus system, that is cheaper, but the tourist bus was nice.

Definitely go to Parc Guell and La Sagrada Familia. Both were just amazing. If you do go to La Sagrada Familia, take the elevator to the top of one of the spires and walk down the spiral staircase- it's a brilliant view of Barcelona from the top.

Two restaurant recs, both in Barceloneta- La Bombeta and Salamance. If you google the names, you'll find the addresses.

If you have any other questions, PM me and I can give you a run down of what we did there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards