Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Packing - Space Bags?

Hello ladies!

I've been looking up reviews on 'Space Bags' and I haven't found a ton of reviews (I didn't look for too terribly long, I'll admit though). I'm looking in to the 'to-go' ones (the ones that you roll or push down on). Has anyone used these? Are they easy to use? Do they work well? Do they actually save you a lot of space?

I got some Rick Steve's books from the Library (I wanted to check him out before I spent money on getting his newest books for the places I'm going) and he has one called "Europe Through The Back Door" and it has this whole chapter on packing light, and saying you should fit everything in your carry on. I would love to do this....but last time I went to Europe...I had a hard time fitting 2 weeks of stuff in a carry on and an extremely large luggage bag. In fact, I think I even put stuff in my Mom's luggage (haha...poor mom). Soo....I think I'll need help in that respect. hahaha =]

TIA Ladies!!! =] =] =]

Re: Packing - Space Bags?

• Options
    I actually did buy the ones that you roll down a couple years ago and used them when I  was packing for a trip, they definitely made a big difference! They aren't the easiest to use but it's worth a few minutes of time to fit everything in right. If you have the extra to spend, I would totally buy the vacuum ones, those are supposed to be incredibly easy and work even better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've heard that as well about the vaccuum ones, which would be totally fine when we're still home, but I was worried about getting it all back in as we wouldn't have access to a vaccuum at the end of our trip =[ =[ =[

Thank you for your response tho! I finally found some reviews online after searching for a while and I think I'll get some before the trip =]
  • Options
    Roll your clothes, don't pack them flat. That's the best space saving advice I've ever received.
  • Options
    I first saw space bags when going on vacation with my FI's family.  They pack all their clothes, sheets, and towels exclusively in space bags.  They definitely do help when trying to fit a lot of stuff into a little space. 

They use space bag cubes that you can either vacuum or sit on them to get the air out, in case you don't have a vacuum handy.  I think their large, flat ones are also usable without a vacuum, but I haven't seen those in the process of being packed.

One thing about them though, if you overpack them, they will break easily.  My FI barely went over the fill line with his clothes, and when he zipped it, the zipper tore through the plastic.  They aren't so useful with a hole in them, lol.

imageimage

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Also, along with space keep in mind weight! When I was going to Vegas in April, I was 4.8 pounds over and it was going to be a $90 fee. I took two heavy things out and swapped something from my carryon in its place.
  • Options
    That's a good point...I didn't even think that even though it'd be smaller it'd still weigh the same. oh geez...lol. Thanks for that!
  • Options
    You can get compression bags...its the same concept of space bags, but made for camping and you can usually find them cheaper than space bags.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Some of the best advice I've gotten/tried is to pack your absolute essentials, and buy some things when you get there.  I had a teacher who frequently traveled light in Europe by buying underwear, socks, etc. cheaply once he arrived, then throwing them out as he wore them.  I've done this myself with things like toothbrushes.  It's also good advice to not pack pajamas.  You can sleep in your clothes.  (Or nothing at all, as you will be on your honeymoon, LOL.)
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards