• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
October 2011 Weddings

MOH toast?

Okay, I'm still a little jet lagged (having my cycle isn't helping me adjust at all), which is why I haven't posted the photos yet for you guys....that and Vhati was home and he can't see the dress photos so I couldn't post them while he was here.

But I have a question for you guys.

This morning, I woke up to a text from ym friend who is getting married Saturday asking if I had written a toast yet.  I texted her back asying I didn't know I was doing one, and she said "Ummm....maid of honor...."

When did MOHs start doing toasts?  I have litterally NEVER heard of this before.  Is it a recent thing?  All the weddings I have ever been to just had the best man and father of the bride speak....and occasionally the father of the groom, but never the MOH.
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: MOH toast?

• I thought it was a common thing for the MOH to get give a speech, along with the Best Man, FOB and something the FOG. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think that I have ever been to a wedding where the MOH didn't give a speech. I know that our MOH and BM are giving speachs as well as our fathers.
    Planning Bio

Saving my Sanity one Blog at at timeBaby Birthday Ticker TickerimageimagePhotobucketBabyFruit Ticker
  • Some people have more toasts then others at their weddings. Also people may have anyone or people close to them toast at the Rehearsal Dinner. Then they would have only the father of the bride and best man say something at the wedding.

Just remember what you say should be personal but not to personal. Keep it short especially if a lot of people other then you will be saying something. If I was a guest I wouldn't want to sit through 30 minuets or more of speeches. Good luck.
  • I was asked to give one on about 30 seconds notice at my BFF's wedding back in 2000, and I'd never heard of the MOH giving one back then.   I think it's become a little more common now.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wow I'm surprised. Every wedding I've been to the MOH gave a toast. (Maybe it's different in different parts of the country?) My sister & I were my other sister's MOH's & we gave a speech. We definetly cheated. We googled MOH speeches and we youtubed "best wedding speeches" I'm not saying we stole everything but we took some ideas from different speeches and personalized it.

• JenS711JenS711
    100 Comments
    edited September 2010
    I had to give one as moh at my Moh's wedding. Payback is going to suck for her.

I cried during the speech mostly out of fear...I'm a terrible public speaker
    October 2011:
    Favorite registry item:Fiestaware

Planning Bio
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm also wondering if it might be different in different parts of the country. All of the recent weddings I've been to have had the MOH give a speech. I'm going to have mine give one. I haven't said anything to her, I just assume she assumes she's doing one. At her wedding, she had the MOH give one.

I've never seen a father or anyone like that give a speech. Just the best man and the MOH. I would think the rehearsal dinner would be a good setting for those speeches, but each person is different in what they want.

Just remember, keep it personal and SHORT. Nothing is worse then sitting through a speech that's 2 minutes long, especially when the speaker is trying to make jokes that aren't funny. Ever seen Wedding Crashers? lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Okay, I have a draft, and I wanted to run it by you guys:

There is a famous quote which comes to mind today:

"If you love something, set it free; if it comes back it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was."

I think it applies to Sarah and Dennis.  While you both met and dated in high school, you went your separate ways, experiencing life, and all the ups and downs that comes with it, and yet, whether by chance or choice, you both found your ways back to each other.

Now, as you both start your lives together, hand in hand, just remember a few geeky words of advice:  don't panic....and never split the party.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • all the weddings I have gone the BM MOH and FOB give a speech and then the FOG gives speech at the rehersal dinner.
  • Was don't panic written in large friendly letters?! lol I like it.
    Photobucket
  • sorry is that an inside joke "don't panice and don't split the party?" I might just be slow haha
  • I think your toast is cute. Short and sweet.

I've seen more and more weddings where just the MOH and BM speak. Personally I'm having a no toasts allowed wedding because I think they're cheesy. Matt is going to thank everyone for coming and sharing our day in order to get dinner started but that's it for us.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • The weddings I have been to the MOH and BM give the toasts.
    I like the toast you prepared not too long, but not too short.
  • In Response to Re: MOH toast?:
    sorry is that an inside joke "don't panice and don't split the party?" I might just be slow haha
    Posted by irisheyezfsu
    Don't Panic is what is said to be written on the cover of the "Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy" in the book by Douglas Adams. 

The "don't split the party" is a D&D term meaning that you don't, under any circumstances, split up the party, it means instant death.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Every wedding I've been to both the BM and MOH gave toasts. Eck maybe I better let mine know that I'd like her to give a toast!

For us we're planning on:
    Maid of Honor
    Best Man
    Brother of the Bride
    Parents
    Us!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio/Blog 151 Invitedimage 108 Yes!image 22 No :-(image 21 Are turning me into a bridezilla!image RSVP Date Sept. 16
  • I got the reference even though I have never in my life played Dungeons and Dragons. Also I love love love Douglas Adams Book Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

It is a very short and sweet speech. Great Job on that. The end line is great too. The guest will most likely get the last line if they know the references or not. Don't Panic is always some good advice to give.
  • I've always heard the Best Man and Maid of Honor give toasts.
  • In Response to Re: MOH toast?:
    IAlso I love love love Douglas Adams Book Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It is a very short and sweet speech. Great Job on that. The end line is great too. The guest will most likely get the last line if they know the references or not. Don't Panic is always some good advice to give.
    Posted by erollis
    LOVE this!

My favorite book of all times! I had the video game, I listened to the radio show, and have the tv series. I'm obsessed! So glad someone else actually knows the book!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio/Blog 151 Invitedimage 108 Yes!image 22 No :-(image 21 Are turning me into a bridezilla!image RSVP Date Sept. 16