Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Where to get plane tickets from

Hey everyone!!

I have always been a faithful utilizer of expedia.com for purchasing plane tickets because I thought it had the best prices. However everyone I talk to is always surprised by how much I spend on tickets, but no one seems to have advice on where to get them from instead.

What is everyone's reliable ticket outlet?

Thank you!

Re: Where to get plane tickets from

• Options
    Where are you going? It really depends I've gotten great deals on Expedia, Orbitz, southwest vacations....
  • Options
    Kayak. It has lots of search options like 

+/- 1-3 days before and after a date
    multi-destination via mixed airlines for best rates
    searching across a flexible month (for a single destination)

It can also route the search into Orbitz & Expedia for rate comparison, but I don't ever need that. 

Since I live in Seattle, which hubs with Alaska Air, I use Alaska for simple domestic stuff and Kayak for interesting, complicated, international stuff. 
  • Options
    I usually just book directly through the airline after finding the cheapest prices on Expedia or Orbitz or wherever, because I generally find the prices to be the same.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I book directly with the airline as I have found they have the same pricing as everyone else. Not to mention it is easier to deal with the airline directly in the event of a problem instead of going through a middle man. First I find the flight I want then I go on yapta and pop the flight in to track the price. Then once I see the price drop I book it directly on the airlines website.
  • Options
    The cheapest airfare I have found is through Southwest/Southwest vacations. That was for domestic travel. I am not a huge fan of actually flying Southwest; I mean some things get sacrificed for the lower prices, but overall it was fine and we did save a lot going through them when we went to California.

I've also booked packages through travel agents before, like for our Hawaii HM. She got us deals I could not find on sites like Travelocity with free upgrades those sites were not offering, so you might check out a TA. You do not pay for them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    Expedia, Orbitz are good... but I agree that often the airlines have the same prices.

BUT it does save you money sometimes if you want to bundle with a travel website.  Bundling with car and/or hotel can save you a lot of money (but be careful, because once in a while the bundle is deceiving and costs more actually)

SaveSave
  • Options
    I shop online for the cheapest fare and then contact a travel agency (Flight Centre) - they will always match whatever the lowest price is online, and I find it's a lot more secure and convenient.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_where-to-get-plane-tickets-from?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:838bef1b-33db-4675-8a7e-e2ac153fae71Post:4b5ae14f-adef-4a47-8b0c-4d4a99252aea">Re:Where to get plane tickets from</a>:
    [QUOTE]I book directly with the airline as I have found they have the same pricing as everyone else. Not to mention it is easier to deal with the airline directly in the event of a problem instead of going through a middle man. First I find the flight I want then I go on yapta and pop the flight in to track the price. Then once I see the price drop I book it directly on the airlines website.
    Posted by monkeygirl18[/QUOTE] Ditto all of this
  • Options
    try vayama.com for international flights!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards