Honeymoon Discussions

Are you thinking of leaving your e-ring at home?

I'm wondering.... with all the oceans, pools, snorkeling, etc. if I should leave my e-ring at home. I don't want to, but maybe it makes more sense to just have my wedding band? I wouldn't really feel confident leaving something so valuable in the hotel room.

Is anyone else thinking about this?

Re: Are you thinking of leaving your e-ring at home?

• FinkFink member
    First Comment

We are going to Hawaii for 2 weeks and I am definitely not leaving my engagement ring at home.   I travel a lot for business and pleasure and I find the hotel safes to be secure.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wore mine on my honeymoon and had no problems. I will be wearing mine when we go to Mexico in Oct. as well for our anniv...
  • I will definitely have both my e-ring and wedding ring on at all times! I'm going to be staring at them like every 2 seconds! :0)

FI and I went on a cruise last fall and we did snorkeling tours, went on a river tubing excursion, played in the waves, went swimming, etc.. and I wore my e-ring for everything. I've become OCD about checking to make sure it's still there so I was aware that it was still on.

I really wouldn't worry about it getting lost or stolen. Just make sure your rings are insured and if you feel uncomfortable wearing them for certain activities leave them back in your hotel room in the safe. HTH!
  • Yah I'm definately taking mine too. Is it not snug enough that it might fall off? I wear mine in the shower and its never threatened to fall off so I'm not worried about that. Most hotels have safes though if you dont want to take it with you in the ocean definately store it in the safe.
  • I think I'll be in the minority here but I'm leaving mine and my band at home. FI got me a CZ set to take on our honeymoon. I'm super weird about losing my ring or it getting sandy or scratched or whatever else. I'm sure it would be fine to take it with you but I, personally, am not comfortable taking mine.
  • We will be hiking in the Himalayas for our honeymoon, and I will not be taking my engagement ring, although I will wear my regular wedding band.  If I was going to the Caribbean or something though, I would definitely take and wear my e-ring.  Are you concerned that yours will fall off or something, and that's why you would leave it in the room?

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • I will be leaving my e-ring. I don't want to lose it, and I don't wear it most of the time when I am doing dishes or gardening etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I left mine at home when we went a trip to Costa Rica this year. 1, I didn't want to wear anything flashy that would indicate we had lots of money on us or something, both crime/robbing concerns and so people wouldn't jack up their prices thinking we were Mr. and Miss Moneybags (we're not!). 2, I didn't want it to get scratched or ruined in the sand and saltwater. I'm sure it would probably be fine, but it just seems like that much abrasion isn't good for it.

Also, my ring fits properly, by my finger size changes with temperature, how much salt I eat, whatever. So there are some days when it feels tight and some days I feel like it could slip off in the right situation. So I would never wear it swimming in the ocean. In a pool, maybe since I'd find it on the bottom worse case scenario.

Oh and it is, of course, insured. That all said, I will wear it on my honeymoon and just make sure there is a hotel safe.
  • I'm not worried about it falling off.

I've read that you shouldn't wear it in the chlorine or salt water because it can cause pitting. I have a pave setting, so it's not like I can just get it redipped.

I'm wondering since I'd probably leave it at home every afternoon (as I will be out in the water) maybe it's just better to leave at home....?
  • I normally take my off to swim laps in the pool. I just worry about the water doing something to it.

My Uncle worked at a Sandals in St Lucia for awhile and my aunt told me that three newlywed brides lost their rings while swimming in the ocean. I'm not sure how well fitting, etc they were, but it does happen.
  • I think I'm leaving the g-ring but taking the wedding ring.  We're talking about going somewhere exotic (read: third world) and don't want to draw too much attention to the ring.  Also, since we're going to be in the ocean daily, I wouldn't be wearing the ring that much, it's probably safer at home.
  • I'm taking it with me, but leaving it in the safe when we go to the beach or on excursions - probably I'll leave my wedding ring in the safe as well, unless somehow it's a better fit.  My ring fits as well as it possibly can, but my finger shrinks a lot when I'm cold, and I've known people who have lost their wedding bands in the ocean. 

I don't wear it when working out or doing outside activities for long periods of time, so it's not too much of a stretch for me to leave it in the safe.  Even though I haven't actually had it slide off ever, it gets really lose when I'm cold and my knuckle barely keeps it on.  I also take it off when I put on lotion, so it would be a pain putting on suntan lotion and whatnot.

I've never had an issue with hotel safes before, and the ring is insured, so I'm not too concerned.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'll probably wear my e-ring and my wedding band on the honeymoon, but leave the e-ring hidden somewhere in our cabin for more active stuff or where it could get dirty easily ... like more active excursions, working out, etc.
  • I left my e-ring at home (we went to Jamaica) but wore my wedding band.  My e-ring is half a size too big, but the band fits snug.  I was a bit concerned about theft and drawing attention with the e-ring, but in hindsight I am sure it would have been fine.  The e-ring may have gotten in the way of a few activities but I could have left it in the room safe and it would have been fine.  If the ring is insured then I wouldn't worry too much, unless it's irreplacable (a family heirloom)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I brought mine and wore it when we were walking around or on excursions, but I didn't wear it to the pool/ocean. My husband's cousin applied suntan lotion then went in the ocean on her honeymoon, and she lost her ring.
    imageimageimage
  • I know a lot of people have already replied, but I just thought I would add that I just went to the jeweler who is making my wedding band last week. I asked him about wearing my set in the ocean, and he very firmly stressed not to - he said he gets a lot of brides coming in who lost their ring in the ocean. He told me the salt water makes your hands pruney (we all know that) and it makes your finger go down a size. I like to enjoy playing in the waves and don't want to worry about it! 

I travel a lot so I'm kind of conflicted and have not decided yet. I have a fake engagement ring I picked up for $25 (and looks annoyingly similar to my platinum / diamond!!) so when me and my girlfriends go to Mexico in a few weeks, I'm just going to wear that. I have heard of safes at all inclusive not being so safe, so I would leave it at home and not worry. Of course, I'll also worry about it being at home, LoL!!!  Anyway that's my 2 cents! 
  • i am just wearing my wedding band too, why risk it!
  • my e-ring/wedding band is an heirloom set, so im taking no chances. FI bought me a second wedding band to wear on vacations, to the gym, etc so i'll have that.
  • I'm wearing and taking my e-ring and wedding ring.  But FI and I decided to get cheap wedding bands (Walmart...or even those cheap vendors in the mall) to wear while we're on the beach and swimming.  We don't want to take any chances.  We'll just switch out the fakes for our real sets once we get back in from the beach.
    Anniversary
  • I took my rings on my HM.  Never thought about not taking them.  We made sure they were sized well.

Every year we get 1 or 2 people who lose their rings at the resort.  More often than not it's a man and (1) it's not properly fit and (2) he is playing with the ring because it's new and he is not use to it being on his hand.

btw - we have a ton of people who have been married for years take their rings with no problems.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards