Honeymoon Discussions

Why is Cancun / Riviera Maya so cheap????

So I am in the honeymoon planning stages. I always assumed since I work for Radisson and get such a great rate I would take advantage of that for a Caribbean Vacation (Bahamas, Aruba, etc.) . Come to find out that even with my great discount, All Inclusives in Cancun and Riviera Maya are still cheaper!?!? WTF??? Am I missing something or are they just hurting for tourism? How can an AI be cheaper in total (flights, accomodations, transfers) than my rate of $60 per night? I am not complaining.....just looking to see if I am missing something....
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Why is Cancun / Riviera Maya so cheap????

• I'm not sure... but that's why we are doing Mexico for our HM (Isla Mujeres to be exact).
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I would imagine that the cost of running the place is less in Mexico than in another country.

EDIT: I don't mean that as a slight on Mexico - I'm just stating that the carrying costs in Mexico are probably lower than on, say, an island.  Mexico is still part of the mainland and supplies don't have to be shipped there like they would to smaller islands off the coast.  Just an educated guess on my part for an explanation.
  • There are also a ton or AI resorts in Mexico.  Supply and demand. 
  • Ditto Cmgr.  People are afraid to go to Mexico right now, and the tourism industry is hurting.  And since most of Mexico (especially the major tourist destinations) is perfectly safe, it's great for us.  Take advantage of those low prices.  We just got back from the Riviera Maya and we loved it.
  • which AI are you pricing out? and september is a cheap time to go (I'm assuming you're pricing out for then due to your wedding date ticker). many AIs are very pricey, many are not. dpendsd on which, when etc...

• As PPs have said, Mexico is hurting for tourists right now. It tends to be cheaper than some of the islands regardless though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • As a previous Floridian, I know that the main hurricane season is between July - mid September, sicne our wedding is September 29th, we will be going 10/2 - 10/10. It shouldn't be bad at all - weather wise. We are looking a Barcelo and RIU. I keep pricing it out and no matter what it seems like the best deal. I think we are going to go with Riviera Maya unless if someone has been there and has another suggestion?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We went to Mexico in the middle of September and loved it. Never had a problem with rain except one afternoon for maybe 20 minutes. Nice thing about the Riviera Maya region is there is so much to do and so much competition that you can always find great prices!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards