Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Airfare to Italy

Hey ladies,

In the next couple months, FI and I were going to try and book our airfare to Italy for our honeymoon.

I typically use travelocity for these things because I generally find them cheaper than the other major travel websites (Orbitz, expedia). 

Since it's so far in advance, I've just recently been able to get prices for our airfare for our actual dates next June, and it's about $1400 per person, for the following:

Houston to Naples
Rome back to Houston  (We're starting the honeymoon in the Naples area, then ending it in Rome, with trains inbetween)

Basically, $2800 for all the airfare for both of us.

While we're expecting a trip to Europe to cost a good amount of money, we are trying to save any way we can. 

In anyone's experience, does this sound pretty reasonable?  Any tips for other websites I should try (besides the typical travel websites), or any tips about when to try booking?

SaveSave

Re: Airfare to Italy

• Options
    That seems really reasonable with current prices.  I'd suggest signing up for Yapta.com's tracking.  I found that they are one of few sites that will let you track multicity flights like you have and send you alerts.

Plus, if you book through them and you flighs drop a certain amount (amount depends on airline); you'll get credited the difference.

(I also wanted to share that we did a multicity like, Chicago to Amsterdam and London to Chicago returning this spring and we found that it was less than $100 difference than booking a roundtrip flight.  The jist being if someone tries to convince you that it's cheaper to fly roundtrip Rome or Naples; it's not always true.)
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip! 

I think we'll try and track it over the next month or two, and then book.

And yeah, the price difference is only about $100 between roundtrip and multicity.  To us, it's worth it to pay $100 to save a train ticket and some time/stress.

SaveSave
  • Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    That sounds about right.  The last time I travelled to Italy my flight was about $1500 round trip from Atlanta to Rome.  I've been looking at other flights because we're thinking of doing Venice for our honeymoon, and I'm finding flights around $1100 out of Birmingham, AL which is where we are now.  It's closer to $1300 out of Atlanta for some reason.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_airfare-to-italy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:995add1d-66c2-4945-9fd3-2752445e9423Post:ef530e27-e619-41ec-810e-ae3afb8e6efe">Re: Airfare to Italy</a>:
    [QUOTE]That seems really reasonable with current prices.  I'd suggest signing up for Yapta.com's tracking.  I found that they are one of few sites that will let you track multicity flights like you have and send you alerts. Plus, if you book through them and you flighs drop a certain amount (amount depends on airline); you'll get credited the difference. 
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly this!  </div>
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • Options
    SnippylynnSnippylynn member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2012
    June is the start of the high season for travel in Europe.  My guess is the cheapest you will find any flights is between 1300-1500.  Since you aren't in a major rush, I'd track it.

A key to getting good prices is actually checking at 'off' times for websites.  For example, when we look at flights from here in Sweden, we do it early to late morning on the weekends, which means everyone in the US is asleep. We find really random and amazing deals that way. 

Also, the price of the flight will depend greatly on which part of the month you are looking. If you are at all flexible, check around by changing the weeks or the part of the week you are leaving. For example, flights will cost more towards the end of June than they do in the beginning.
  • Options
    is your return flight non-stop? naples is pretty close to rome. it might be cheaper to fly into and out of rome.

i have no idea of fares from houston to rome. i'e only gone from jfk non stop to rome and then back from florence through paris or non-stop from rome return or from sicily through rome back to jfk.

• Options
    @ Snippy

Good idea.  I'll try checking at weird times.  It sounds like $1400 will probably be my best airfare, but I'll keep checking because even saving $50 or something is good to me.

Our ideal dates are leaving June 3, and coming back june 19.  We can't push it earlier because of the wedding, but we can try pushing it forward a couple days to see if that makes a difference at all.

@ Ali

The cheapest flights I'm tracking are both one stop (Usually stop in Germany or Canada).  The price difference between doing multi-city and just flying in and out of one city isn't much at all.  It's worth the extra $100 so that we can save a train ticket between naples and rome, and the time of traveling.

SaveSave
  • Options

Two tickets on Delta $2500. Traveling thei September.
    Detroit to Florence  Rome to Detroit

Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards