Honeymoon Discussions

Secrets Maroma vs. The Royal Playa Del Carmen

Has anyone stayed at both of these reorts and can give me a good comparison of the two?

We have narrowed down our destination wedding/honeymoon to these two resorts and can't decide. They both get great reviews and look amazing.

Re: Secrets Maroma vs. The Royal Playa Del Carmen

• I haven't been to either, but our travel agent has and she recommended Secrets over the Royal.  She said Secrets was nice, but it only had a few restaurants and a few bars..the resort is smaller and doesn't have as many things to enjoy compared to the Royal. 

When we initially began our search, we used www.vacationstogo.com   It is a great website for looking up the different resorts, what they offer, their amenities, and some good pictures.  We wound up using a travel agent because we weren't comfortable booking such a big trip on our own for the first time, but I wouldn't use it to actually book.  

Anniversary
  • Based on what I know, I'd ask what your priorities are.  SM will have a better beach, the Royal will have closer access to nightlife since it's so close to 5th Ave. 

I've stayed at the Royal Cancun and will be staying at the Royal PDC next week, so I'd be happy to tell you how it was when I get back!  Also, I debated between SM and Excellence Playa Mujeres for a December trip.  We wound up booking Excellence because of some reports about large groups/corporate trips at SM and lots of concrete.  

That said, I think both will give you an excellent experience and you probably can't go wrong. 
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_secrets-maroma-vs-the-royal-playa-del-carmen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:9a6551a8-09f3-4c34-a246-eda491ca63c6Post:7c800ea0-fd86-4c2c-af95-e8669bf115da">Re: Secrets Maroma vs. The Royal Playa Del Carmen</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't been to either, but our travel agent has and she recommended Secrets over the Royal.  <strong>She said Secrets was nice, but it only had a few restaurants and a few bars</strong>..the resort is smaller and doesn't have as many things to enjoy compared to the Royal.  When we initially began our search, we used  <a href="http://www.vacationstogo.com" rel="nofollow">www.vacationstogo.com</a>    It is a great website for looking up the different resorts, what they offer, their amenities, and some good pictures.  We wound up using a travel agent because we weren't comfortable booking such a big trip on our own for the first time, but I wouldn't use it to actually book.    
    Posted by rsaleh84[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>There were quite a few restaurants and bars all over, so I am guessing that agent never has been to Secrets. We stayed at Secrets and LOVED it. The food was good and the service was great. We stayed on the resort because we didn't want to do any excursions. </div>
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree with Denise. We HM'd at Secrets Maroma and I am convinced that its heaven on Earth :) There were PLENTY of bars and restaurants. Maybe your TA was speaking of a different Secrets?? We only ate at the same place for dinner one time. My vote is for Secrets Maroma! :-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Another agreement with Denise.  We HMed at Secrets Maroma (I have a review and few pics in my Ms. Bio in siggy) and loved it.  I think there's something like 7 restaurants. Our only food issue was that there were TOO MANY good options to choose from!
  • Another vote for Secrets Maroma!  We went in May for our honeymoon and loved it!  We never ate at the same restaurant twice, and found there was plenty to do/eat/see!  Plus, you can't beat the beach there! :)
    PersonalMilestone
    Anniversary
  • I'm currently at the Royal PDC. My suggestion is to go to the Royal Cancun, which is much better, or go to Secrets. We loved The Royal Cancun, but so far I'm not impressed at ALL with the PDC location.
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards