Honeymoon Discussions

Is this a good idea?

Sooo.... FI and I are thinking of going to Georgia for our honeymoon. We want to stay at this cabin for a few days:

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p244583#propertyInquiry

then hit up Atlanta for the Aquarium, and finally spend a day or two on the coast to see the ocean before heading back home (Grand Rapids, MI)

But we've been told by various friends/family that we should go with something all inclusive since trips like this end up being more expensive after you add in food and what-not. We want to stay under $1,500 for the honeymoon - according to my budgeting that's possible with this trip, but what do you guys think?
With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is this a good idea?

• I think I know plenty of people who did NOT go the all-inclusive route.  They went to places that seemed interesting to them, and had the time of their life.

Go to GA if that's what you feel like doing, and enjoy every minute of it :)
  • Do what will make you and FI happiest and what you will get the most enjoyment out of! Don't worry about what other people say. If you're paying for it, do what you want.
  • I wouldn't worry about the all inclusive if your budget shows you can do it for the price you want!
  • Yeah, AIs are NOT for everyone.  If you think this will work in your budget, go for it!  Sounds like a good trip :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • We didn't do an all-inclusive and it was great, especially because we realized we usually ate 2 meals a day (slept late) and we don't drink.
  • I think that sounds like a fantastic honeymoon!!! But if you're only doing that because of money, and you would RATHER do an all-inclusive sort of thing, there may be some deals out there that allow you to do it.  My FI and I booked our 7 night honeymoon to Dominican Republic and it was about $2,000 total but our travel agent told us that the prices would possibly go down and fluctuate often... maybe putting you in your $1500 budget? Many of my friends have gotten INSANE deals to all-inclusives to Mexico.

But if you're going with Georgia because of money and it's what you want to do- then don't listen to anyone else! I think it sounds incredibly fun and romantic!!! :)
  • rtv3rtv3 member
    First Comment
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone!  I guess I just felt kind of lame telling people we were going to Georgia after all my friends went out of country for theirs. But FI has his heart set on seeing Georgia Aquarium and I really, really love the thought of having a cute little cabin all to ourselves. So I think we're going to book the cabin :)
    With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are actually taking our honeymoon in Savannah, GA/Tybee Island. I REALLY want to hit the aquarium on our way through Atlanta, but not sure we'll make it. We are driving down from Mo (we love roadtrips, and my fiance used to live in Tennessee, so it will be fun driving through TN and seeing all the scenery). I know the feeling, we've had many people ask why we aren't going out of the country/doing the all-inclusive beach fantasy stuff, but it's just not for us. I think you guys will have an awesome time if that's what you want to do! That cabin is beautiful by the way! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards