Florida-Central Florida
Options

Roommate drama- vent

How do you deal with roommates? 
This is my first semester living in a house off campus and my roommate is driving me crazy.  She has a dog and the dog doesn't bother me but she said that she would clean the floors every week because the dog is dirty and she has yet to do that (she made that statement in December).  I am the only one who cleans the house (I have stopped cleaning the common area bc she hasnt been doing her part and it is nasty- i can't stand it anymore so I may have to give in and clean it).  She and the other roommates from last semester were late on the water/electricity bill from november-dec so we almost got our electricity/water turned off so I had to pay that and we got a bill two days later so I called and they told me that the first bill was nov-dec and this bill is dec-jan so I just told her I am not paying the dec-jan bill since i paid a bill that wasn't mine (the bill that wasnt mine was like $5 pp more so I am actually doing them a favor) and she just bit my head off.  How do you talk to roommates about money and get them to clean?  Are people really just dirty?

Re: Roommate drama- vent

• Options
    cjbwifey2010cjbwifey2010 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aaaaahhh the college days! LOL

Yes ppl are that dirty and irresponsible. You need to have a house meeting. Tell them that what your concerns are and then hopefully find a solution as a team. It is so annoying and I have gone through my share of roomates. I currently live with my MOH and we have house meetings when we need it. Everything should be equal!

About the bill, explain to them what happened and make them understand. Write down numbers and show it to them. This should hopefully chip the iceberg!

HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    House meeting- that is a great idea!  Thanks date twin!!!! 
    I am just so thankful this 6 months is the only time I will ever have to deal with a house roommate that it is awkward to talk to about money and cleaning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Girl... you are NOT the only one!

I love my MOH but we still dont like to really talk about money. Cleaning has gotten really good because we clean up our own messes. I just can't wait to move out and do things the way i want and be with FI!

Let us know how the house meeting goes! And remember...talk without the emotion so you can get your point across and no one feels attacked.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a similar situation in college. Roommate was friend from home and quickly after moving in w/ me got a BF and was literally gone almost every night for 2 years- no exaggeration. She also had a cat that I didn't want but she told me it was her childhood pet and that it would die within the year, so I gave in..the CAT IS STILL ALIVE TO THIS DAY! Anyways, I would often have to remind her to pay me on time- maybe a week before the bills are due, you could have a scheduled meeting (like every 3rd tuesday at 4 pm) to collect money, this way you aren't stuck w/ paying and keeping track of who owes what (I did that, and it SUCKS!) Also, I used to put my roommates pet in her room when the mess was invading my living room (cat smelled and shed like no other). If she isn't going to take care of the dog's living space, put him in her room. When the animal makes a mess all over her space, she'll get the idea that if she's not going to clean up after the common area, then the dog is not allowed in the common area. DON'T DO WHAT I DID and make this your responsibility...I spent waaaay too long cleanig up after her pet! It may sound mean, but she is just going to keep taking advantage if you don't do show that you won't stand for it! GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This just makes me happy to be done with roommates!

You're almost there! GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know how you feel.  I know completely understand why FI never had roommates!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Man i used to have to write letters and tell ppl to clean their mess. FI has roomates too and their house is pretty clean. They have 2 roomates that are slobs but know to keep the common areas looking good. FI is pretty OCD so once he sees it messed up, he talks to them about it first, and next, just throws it away or places it in front of their door. they get so aggravated but its the only way for things to work! 4 more months! YESSSS! LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know I can't believe its coming up!!!!!!!!!!  I am moving back home in June so I am so excited!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had the same problems in college! We ended up keeping a chart on the fridge, I was responsible for all the bills so I filled in what each girl owed me (there were 4 of us). My one roomate for awhile even kept it as a chore chart, but that didn't last after she moved out. We had house meetings often to talk about things, and vent at each other if need be. Fortunate to say I am still good friends with 2 of the 4 to this day (we had 1 move after 6 months and we spent 2 years together in 1 house!)

Good luck you can do it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    225 image Invited
    127 image Making the Trip
    98 image Missing out
    0 image MIA
    RSVP date February 19th
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, I agree with Meghan, there definitely needs to be a chore chart. Everyone should have a turn doing each chore so no one gets stuck with the crappy stuff (bathrooms if you all share one) every time. Some stuff should be a no-brainer, like washing dishes WHEN you use them, but you'll probably have to spell it all out. And a bill chart or pre-collection of funds will definitely help. I had some disgusting roommates in college, and they were oblivious that it was a problem, so I feel ya. Have a meeting sooner rather than later to get everyone on the same page - and do your best to keep from lecturing them, even though they totally deserve it. Just deal with it matter-of-fact-like, and tell them that this is what you'll all have to do to prevent problems in the future. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good luck! I am going through the same problems now. I pay all of the bills and they pay me back. It got to the point where they kept forgetting and saying they already paid me. We started a chart on the fridge and that has made it a bit better, but some still don't sign it when they pay me and it messes things up. I haven't thought about having a chore chart. I might need to do that because this crap about them not taking out the garbage EVER drives me nuts! I'm sooooo ready for next semester!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So I talked to her...
    I said in a simple way- hey when are you going to get around to washing the muddy floors from the dog like you said?
    And she said tomorrow and fed me this crap about not having time even thought she naps every day!
    We will see tomorrow if it actually gets done.
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards