Florida-Central Florida

bar?

I might be opening a can of words here so to say but I am wondering what you ladies think about a cash bar vs. no bar?

And if you ladies have been to a wedding that has offered a cash bar before?

I haven't been to a wedding that offers a cash bar so I was just wondering what the experience or thought was about this.

Re: bar?

• edited December 2011
    Hmmm... I totally get the budget thing. I've been to weddings that start open bar and turn cash bar at a certain point. We're serving beer & wine only - and it's extremely inexpensive to serve 150 people. We bought enough for everyone for less than $400. Total wine you can return any unopened bottles so we bought a case of white, a case of red, and 2 kegs for less than $400. If that's not an option, I think a cash bar is better than nothing - because at least people have the OPTION to drink if they choose.
  • sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Were not having a bar at the wedding.  I agree wuth Harmon maybe just stick with wine and beer or maybe have open bar for cocktail hour and then cash bar after or you can have a cash bar with a free signature drink ?
    Anniversary
  • Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a wedding that was ALL cash bar, we didn't know ahead of time, so we didn't have any cash with us. I've also been to one that was open at the beginning (until the reached $xx and then it turned into a cash bar). That one got a little pricey for us, so as a guest I didn't particularly like it, but I can also see it from the budget side. I also knew about that one (since I was in the bridal party) and they accepted a debit card, so I didn't have to worry about cash.

I think it depends on what you can afford. We had a limited open bar at our wedding (meaning we only had vodka, rum, whiskey, and certain mixers, plus beer and wine). We were able to buy all of our alcohol and pay the bartender $150 to serve it. So, overall it was very affordable and we had lots (still have lots!) left over. A few different catering companies that I spoke with would allow you to provide your own alcohol, so ask around.

Honestly, I'd say to try to work it in your budget where at least the beer and wine are open during your reception.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the general consensus on the knot is that it is better to have no alcohol than to have a cash bar.  However, some people really need their alcohol so that is not really a good choice at all.  I would suggest doing only beer and wine or doing only one signature drink made with rum or vodka for example.  Or bringing in your own alcohol that you buy from a warehouse store.Or having alcohol during the cocktail hour but closing the bar during dinner.  
  • mizzicantwaitmizzicantwait member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the input! I know this can be a touchy topic among brides for some reason but I really appreciate all the comments!!
  • edited December 2011
    I really like the idea of just a signature drink and maybe beer and wine. I view a wedding the same as hosting a party at your house. You would never ask for people to pay for drinks at your home, its better not to offer it then to charge for it. I also agree that many people don't bring cash to a wedding planning on paying for drinks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards