Florida-Central Florida

between ceremony and reception???

Hello, ladies!

My FI and I are trying to figure out what our guests will do between the ceremony and reception while we're taking pictures. We haven't booked either venue yet, but we're considering Bok Tower for the ceremony and the FFA Leadership Training Center for the reception. They're about 35 min. from each other. We're not sure how long it might take to get our pictures taken, and we don't want our guests to have to wait forever without something to do.

We know we're going to have pre-reception snacks/appetizers... and my FI suggested a picture slideshow, or possibly a scavenger hunt around Bok Tower. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Anything would be appreciated, thank you!! :)

Re: between ceremony and reception???

• edited December 2011
    A cocktail hour is typically between the ceremony and reception where your guests can have appetizers and beverages and have something to do while you are taking pictures.  Since they are a good distance apart your reception doesnt have to start exactly after the ceremony, but it should have too much of a lag time (maybe max 45 mins) so guests can take their time getting to the cocktail hour and reception location.

If you aren't doing a cocktail hour I don't really have any other ideas bc I'm doing a cocktail hour and hadn't given anything else much thought.
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should really do a cocktail hour.... an hour of open bar with hors d'oeuvres in a foyer perhaps outside of the reception hall room. 

You might consider places that are closer together if possible.  People on the boards tend to frown at locations more than half an hour apart from one another. 

• ashbosityashbosity member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you aren't super traditional, take most of your formal pictures before the ceremony. No one will have to wait around for you and you will look better having just got your hair and makeup done and your groom's shirt won't be sweat stained, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    We are taking pics before ceremony so our guests won't be waiting around. If you want to have happy guests while they are waiting you need a decent open bar and appetizers...good luck!
  • SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011

Drinks AND food...I've went to a wedding with a cash bar (yuck) AND no food...they took over an hour to take their pics. It was a LONG cocktail hour and many of the guests were tipsy before the reception started b/c there was no food.

I think seeing each other before hand is best. We are planning on doing it!

• Blonde407Blonde407 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish we would have done pictures before the ceremony because I would have liked to walk around and spend time with the guests during part of the cocktail hour.  Instead we were rushing around to take pictures and still didn't get many pictures because when you are dealing with bridal party and family being in pictures it takes forever to get people gathered.  But food and booze for an hour should hold your guests over.
    **Blog Sale - UPDATED 04/03/2012**
    First weight loss goal - 40lbs... DONE! Second weight loss goal - 17lbs... LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    i agree with everyone above. try to take as many pre-ceremony photos as you can so you don't have to feel rushed afterwards. let your photographer know about your timing. also cocktail hour with food and drinks should occupy everyone before the reception room opens. i wouldn't do a scavenger hunt because if you're like me, i wouldn't want to be walking around "hunting" in my heels!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of your suggestions! We're actually having a morning wedding (11am) and brunch, so we haven't decided about what types of drinks (liquor or just wine/beer or what since it's lunch time). I really like the idea of taking some pictures beforehand, but I haven't been able to sell my FI on the idea of seeing each other before the wedding. (which is kind of silly because we live together! lol)

Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    Because of the time of the ceremony...you could serve Mimosas and put out a fruit display and/or cheese and crackers for munching.
  • edited December 2011
    I definately do not like the idea of seeing each other before the ceremony.  I have heard from several people that it takes away the excitement.  My sister is getting married in October and she is going to do that because she wants to be part of the cocktail hour and mingle with her guests.  I think mimosas would be fantastic bc of the time of the ceremony.  some little quiches or something too. 

I have heard of people having pics before and doing a reveal just with the couple and the photographer so it is kind of special-- and then after a few minutes, getting the rest of the WP to come out. I feel like the only reason why you would want to do that is if your nerves were so bad, you couldn't walk down the aisle without seeing him first.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    As far as seeing each other before the ceremony...I beleive it is fine...we also live together and I think it would make us both feel more at ease to see one another. I seen pics of the groom looking off and the bride is sneaking up behind him and I love the way they look! I think it will be  lot more intimate with just the two of you there instead of in front of everyone. But, to each his own...do what you are comfortable with and what your groom wants as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards