Florida-Central Florida
Options

Tree Cross-Sections - Decor?

I really like the look of some of the weddings I've seen using cross-sections of a tree in the centerpieces.  Only problem is I'm not really sure where to get them from.  You can buy thin slices from the craft stores but I'd like them to be a little thicker and different sizes.  I've thought of calling some of the tree cutting services or firewood people ... which I would probably need to do much closer to the wedding (Nov).  Has anyone used these or known someone who has?  Any suggestions?  Aside from cutting down a tree of course ... 

Re: Tree Cross-Sections - Decor?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't done this, but I don't think it should matter when you get the x-secs. Unless you're leaving them outside where they'll get damp, they shouldn't rot. If you wanted to be extra-sure, though, you could treat them with lacquer, which might look nice anyway. I'd imagine that a tree service would be happy to give you some left-over slices, and probably wouldn't charge you much (if anything) to cut them to specific widths. Have fun tree-stump-hunting! ;)
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Alyssa that you need to make sure you lacquer those things because if you get them from some outdoor tree cutting place, there's no guarantee that tiny little mites won't be crawling off them and on to your food. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards