Asian Weddings
Options

Filipino Traditions - Modified....suggestions please!!

I am Catholic and 1/2 Filipino, and my FH is Caucasian and Baptist.  We are having a short, outdoor ceremony in the South. I would very much like to incorporate some Filipino traditions, such as the coins, cord, and veil.  However, I'm concerned with how long each of these will take, and what each of them symbolize.  I don't want to incorporate them if they don't symbolize anything I believe in.  

For example, I read somewhere that the veil placed over the bride's head (that's another issue) symbolizes submission - um, no.  that's not something I want anywhere near my wedding.  

Will I be stricken down by lightning if I only include the coin and cord?  And do I have to have an entire entourage of wedding guests participate with these traditions, or can we ask a couple who are very close friends of ours (but not in the wedding party)?

Suggestions welcome!!  Thanks in advance.  

Re: Filipino Traditions - Modified....suggestions please!!

• Options
    kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is not what the veil symbolizes, and the veil is put over both the bride and groom, not just the bride. 

You should check out both my Planning and Married bio on how we did this exact same thing for our wedding. I'm Filipino and H is Caucasian but we still wanted to incorporate these since we didn't marry in church. They didn't take very long at all, our entire ceremony lasted 20-30 mins. Talk to the officiant first if they know how to do these things, luckily ours did. 

I'll give you the symbolism of each: 

Veil: symbolizes that the couple are clothed as one. 
    Cord: represents eternal bond between the couple
    Arrhae/Coins: represents life of good wealth, faithfullness, and prosperity 

HTH!!

• Options
    rubyfrubyf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Each does not take long at all.  The veil does not mean submission.  I have the meaning and a youtube video in my planning bio of the traditions.

Also below is the wording I used to explain what things meant in our program: 

The Sponsors

The Principal Sponsors

Also known as Ninang & Ninong sa kasal, these women and men are respected and admired by the bride and groom.  Their participation is symbolic of the wisdom & support they shall offer the new couple.  In the Philippines, they are the official witnesses.

The Secondary Sponsors

These sponsors are often a woman and a man whom the couple chooses.  Their roles are to present to the couple the veil and the cord, and also to light candles before the ceremony.

Ceremonial Traditions

The Candles and the Unity Candle

The candle symbolizes the Light of Christ, the same light the bride and groom received at Baptism and now receive again to lead them in their new life as a couple. 

The Coins (Arras)

The Arras traditionally symbolized the prosperity that would be shared by the new couple and the couple’s commitment to mutually contribute to their relationship, their children and their community.  There are 13 gold coins to represent Christ and His 12 disciples.

The Veil and Cord

The veil is a symbol of purity.  The veil is placed over the shoulders of the couple as they kneel side-by-side to symbolize their union.  The Cord is a symbol of the couple’s bond.  The cord is knotted into the infinity symbol meaning everlasting love.  They are no longer two but one in their new life as a couple.  The knotted cord is placed over the heads of the couple and above the veil to lay on their shoulders.

The Rings

The circle has always had significance from ancient cultures to the present as a symbol of wholeness and perfection. Its endlessness is the perfect symbol of oneness and unity – no beginning, no end. It is also the symbol of the sun, earth and universe, and represents holiness, perfection and peace. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards