Asian Weddings
Options

Filipino traditions....choosing sponsors

Hello all.... My fiance is half Filipino (I'm not) and we are doing the veil and cord ceremony during our catholic mass.  I was wondering who are traditionally chosen to be sponsors? I am close to my godmother and godfather but my fiance is not close to his. Have you ever heard of parents being the sponsors? I have no clue, so I wanted to get some opinions!! I would like the sponsors to at least be people that we're close to and not some distant godparents that he hasn't talked to since he was 10 (fiance agrees). Any suggestions?
November 12, 2010 imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Filipino traditions....choosing sponsors

• Options
    Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think generally godparents are chosen as sponsors - but i could see your point of not wanting to use people that you're not close with!

We only had one set of sponsors that we listed in the program (we just listed them as sponsors)-  they were my godparents who i absolutley love who have helped me through the years.  They were the ones who placed the veil on us.  We had my sister and brother-in-law put the rosary (we used one like a cord) on us. 

I guess what i'm saying is that you don't need many sponsors - if any at all!  I'm sure you can figure out a way to make it work with just your godparents. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

When my priest started to talk about the sponsors we were supposed to have, the FI and I were clueless too! I asked my mom and she said that basically anyone can be chosen as sponsors... I've also spoken to a friend, and she actually chose "non-married" sponsors... as a pair was one of the groom's friends, and a bride's friend... I don't know how "traditional" this is, but my mom's advice is to simply ask anyone who means a lot to us! :) Hope this helps a little!

• Options
    alms210alms210 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I are both Filipino, and we chose close aunts and uncles or older couple we've looked up to.  None of the six couples are actual Godparents.  Pick people that are meaningful to the both of you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Exactly... pick people who are important to you, or if you want to be really Catholic, people who have helped you develop your faith.... in our case, we're not close to most of our godparents, but we had a few friends in college that really intensified our faith in God, so we picked them!
  • Options
    fallbride'10fallbride'10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!
    November 12, 2010 imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    rmyers9983rmyers9983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can choose anyone to be your sponsors.  There is no specific rule to it.  It is suppose to be someone that is active in the catholic church who will help to guide you through your marriage.  Many choose someone that they feel they look up to in their relationship.  Both of you will choose one from each side.  This can be a person or a couple.  Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards