Asian Weddings

East meets West - not tacky?

I'm sorry, but I've seen a lot of tacky "East meets West" themes.

I am caucasian, my FI is chinese.  We want to incorporate some chinese culture into our reception, but I want it to be done tastefully.

We are having the traditional chinese banquet at a really good chinese restaurant, and I will be changing into a qipao (at FI's request) during the reception.

I'm thinking my theme is going to be more "opposites attract" for the reception, because like I said "East meets West" just seems too clique (sp?).  I also plan on incorporating some other "opposites" - I.E. we will have traditional cake (my choice) AND cupcakes (FI's choice) - and I've got a way to work them in together.

So - who's got good ideas on how to incorporate Chinese traditions without "trying too much"???  I know you guys are smart!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: East meets West - not tacky?

• edited December 2011
    I say if you incorporate things because you like them, rather than because you think it may represent the culture well, then that is a good idea.

We're doing the same thing, the invites we made are very Canadian style, but with a Chinese motif (cherry blossoms).  The ceremony is Canadian style, but the banquet is half-half. I will be wearing both the white dress and the Chinese-style dresses.

Just remember it's about you (sort of, ahaha) so pick and choose whatever you like about either cultural traditions!

Personally, I really likea  lot of the Chinese design motifs, just make sure to consult with his family to make sure that they are the real deal, not an Americanized version.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards