• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO

Budget and DIY Weddings

Backyard Wedding for $2500

I was SHOCKED to see on this website what they consider a budget wedding; $9,000 is nearly half of my salary. But I digress...

We are getting married on 12/11/10 and decided we're going to have it outside at my parent's property. (Don't worry, we live in Florida where the average winter temp. is about 60-70 midday) Our guest list is about 75 people. Here are the idea's I have down so far, please help me if you notice anything I need to do better.

1)We are going to have the ceremony in the front yard and the reception in the backyard under the HUGE pole barn. The pole barn is cemented and large enough to hold about 3 campers, car, and misc storage, so I'm not real worried about having to rent more than one tent for the front and a smaller tent to serve food in for the back.

2)We are having everything happen around 1:30/2pm, so we will be serving finger foods, desserts, and other misc snacks to avoid the price of a meal. We are just going to have beer and wine for the achoholic drinks and soda/tea/whatever for the rest of the lot.

3)My parent's property is rather large, so we'll have people drop off guests at the house and then park at the bottom of the property. We are going to avoid using the house for anything other than the 3 bathrooms inside. We are also going to have one of my dad's campers available for the bathroom in it for a total of 4.

4) Naturally all the invitations, decorating, and favors will be done by us. I have already started on those so it won't be all a cluster in November.

5)Going to have the computer connected to a stereo system for the music. Won't need someone manning the music all the time, but I will have someone in charge of it for when we have the first dance and other special dances.

The main problem I have now is covering the cement in the pole barn. We are going to rent a small dance floor for the middle, but should we paint the cement or will people really care what it looks like? 

Have I missed or overlooked anything?

Re: Backyard Wedding for $2500

• $9000 is not too much. Let's say both of you are employed at 18k a year. That is about 30k disposable income. You'd save 750$ a month for a year. You'd have $1750 a month to live on.

So it's doable if you plan ahead for atleast a year. Not to mention that you should have at least 3month's salary saved up for emergencies which is exactly 9k$.

I have nothing against low budget weddings, but I definitely feel that it shows more dedication if you save for that dream wedding you have always wanted. Instead of just trying to put somethign together from your everyday spending money.
  • CylaCyla
    10 Comments
    We got engaged on 4/31/10 and because of a lot of factors that I am not willing to go into now pretty much the ONLY day we can do it and for all of his family to be there is 12/11/10. Not a whole lot of time to save up. My parents are helping, but it still only comes to about $2,500. We much rather spend more money on a fantastic honeymoon, but we don't want a ghetto wedding either.
  • I am also having a wedding with a low budget . Just because the  budget low doesn't mean its cheap. I have 150 guest and were spending about $2000. It can be done. We are renting a hall.  Also not everyone has a big wedding dream FVWEDDING. With the invites you can actually save alot of moneyand time  buying and getting them done online. Vistaprints is great , you can sign up for there free email and they send  free invites out all the time.  I agree with the PPs. The golf cart idea would be great.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to Re: Backyard Wedding for $2500:
    In Response to Re: Backyard Wedding for $2500 : You have no idea what their other bills and financial goals are. 
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds
    wasn't trying to comment on the OP's situation, just commenting on why the average may be $9k.
  • $2500 is totally do able. I'd rent a pressure washer a few weeks before the wedding and clean the floors, it's amazing what the difference is after using one of those. I would do it in advance though, it's hard work sometimes and you don't want to wait until the last minute.

On another note, did you want a yard wedding or are you doing that because you think it would be cheaper? Sometimes it's better to compare pricing/options if your solely basing things on price. With a yard wedding, you're going to have to rent or buy your tables/chairs and decorations and then set them all up youself (or with help). The location I found is a city owned building that has a 1,700+ sq ft ballroom, kitchen, antique wetbar, and tearoom. It's only $50/hour to rent and they provide some lighting decorations and all the tables/chairs (which they set up). Plus, we don't have to worry about weather, yes I know winter isn't the rainy season, but we all know FL is unpredictable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Backyard Wedding for $2500:
    I have nothing against low budget weddings, but I definitely feel that it shows more dedication if you save for that dream wedding you have always wanted. Instead of just trying to put somethign together from your everyday spending money.
    Posted by fvwedding
    Who said she didn't dream of having a backyard wedding? Just because you don't spend $9,000+ on a wedding doesn't mean it's not the wedding that you want. I think the average wedding is much higher than that. Personally, I think it's insane to spend the kind of money that some people do on one day, put the money towards a house or something else that you would really want/need. Just because someone has a low budget, doesn't mean they are cutting corners and doesn't make their wedding and less important or dreamy than someone that spent much more... sometimes it actually requires MORE dedication & time to plan a budget wedding than just paying some wedding planner $xxxx to do it all for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • I think it depends on what this barn and cement floor looks like. It sounds like this barn is being used to store vehicles so the floor may not be in good shape. Of course people will notice the floor. 
    $9000 is not too much. Let's say both of you are employed at 18k a year. That is about 30k disposable income. You'd save 750$ a month for a year. You'd have $1750 a month to live on. So it's doable if you plan ahead for atleast a year. Not to mention that you should have at least 3month's salary saved up for emergencies which is exactly 9k$. I have nothing against low budget weddings, but I definitely feel that it shows more dedication if you save for that dream wedding you have always wanted. Instead of just trying to put somethign together from your everyday spending money.
    Posted by fvwedding
    Beware of trying to create other people's budgets for them.  Depending on where a person lives 1750 might not rent a one bedroom apartment.

The question was not how can I save more money for a wedding but how can I work with what I got. 

And it doesn't show any more dedication to a wedding or marriage if you blew more money on the day

It is not so much about one day as it is about the lifetime that precedes it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you pretty much have everything down! It sounds like it will be intimate and fun:-) I dont think people will mind walking/dancing on concrete...after all, they will be in a pole barn! You can rent a dance floor, that would be nice, but often not necessary. My only concern about not having a "designated" area for dancing is because you are using a computer for music. People naturally congregate in front of the DJ/band, so gettig a dance floor might help. Good luck and I hope everything goes well :-) oh, and budget weddings are pretty darn smart!
    "I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you." image image Wedding Countdown Ticker
    In Response to Re: Backyard Wedding for $2500 : wasn't trying to comment on the OP's situation, just commenting on why the average may be $9k.
    Posted by fvwedding
    I'm pretty sure the Knot's average is 9K bc they want people to BELIEVE  that's the minimum amount of money for which you can throw a nice wedding.  We all know that isnt true though ;-)
    In Response to Re: Backyard Wedding for $2500 : Beware of trying to create other people's budgets for them.  Depending on where a person lives 1750 might not rent a one bedroom apartment. The question was not how can I save more money for a wedding but how can I work with what I got.  And it doesn't show any more dedication to a wedding or marriage if you blew more money on the day It is not so much about one day as it is about the lifetime that precedes it!
    Posted by monretta
    monretta, you are FANNED.  this is probably the most sensible thing i've read all day and i completely agree with you!
  • edited July 2010
    Three bathrooms are really plenty for 75 people.  We've had four different weddings at our house.  No need to pull in a camper bathroom.  We did put fresh flowers in each of the bathrooms to dress them up.

I love all of your ideas!  You will have a lovely day! 

P.S. - don't forget to add a one day rider to your homeowners' insurance for liability protection.  It only takes one phone call to your insurance company.
  • I heard a few bad things about adding the insurance to your homeowners if something does happen they your insurance will go up. There are a few wedding insurance places but I can't remember what they were . maybe you can look into doing that.
    Anniversary
  • CylaCyla
    10 Comments
    Thanks for the idea's about using transportation. Might steal my cousins mini van since it will have lots of seating for multiple people vs renting a golf cart that only seats about 3, but the idea is awesome.

Since 2/3 of the guestlist is immediate close family and the rest is BBF's I don't think being sued will happen even in a worse case scenerio. We've avoided people on the guest list who aren't close friends/family for simplicity sake and to avoid sticky situations.

We are doing the wedding at my parents for simplicitys sake and to save some money. Since both of us and my parents work full time jobs we can start decorating the yard weeks in advance and avoid a bunch of last minute decorating. Also it will be sentimental when we visit to know we were married there.

And don't get into a hissy fit over the person defending the $9,000 wedding. I'm sure the people who have dreamed of a large wedding would want to save up their money to have the big wedding, but we always wanted a small, down-to-earth wedding. We want it more like a family get-togeather that happens to be our wedding vs having a 'wedding' wedding.
  • orffhorffh
    10 Comments
    I agree 9,000 is no small budget. I am also keeping at 3,000 if that and have everything we need!
    55 of invites sentimagehttp://tinyurl.com/2sdozd"> 32 Are ready to have a good timeimagehttp://tinyurl.com/32ch7p"> 7 Are missing outimagehttp://tinyurl.com/2ts57r"> RSVP Deadline: July 30,2010 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Iwas wondering what food you had?
  • This is the best backyard wedding I think!

They did it all for $2795 (if you leave out the photobooth)
    http://www.younghouselove.com/wedding-album/

Venue: Free (backyard)
    Music: Free (family friend played ceremony music on guitar & we used an iPod for the reception)
    Photography: Free (brother-in-law is a photographer)
    Officiant: Free (cousin got certified online)
    Food: $500
    Wine & Drinks: $100
    Cupcakes & S’mores: $125
    Table & Chair Rentals: $350
    Centerpieces: $70
    Save The Dates/Invitations/Thank Yous (With Postage): $260
    Favors: $75
    Servingware: $250
    Fabric For Tablecloths & Runners: $300
    Lighting & Candles: $120
    Flip Flops/Photo Clothesline/Welcome Sign: $75
    Mosquito Sticks/Candles/Spray: $50
    Bouquet: $20
    Attire: $500

They did add a photobooth for $1200, for a total of $3995.