• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Budget and DIY Weddings

Knock Off Wedding Dresses

Has anyone ordered a wedding dress from a asian website where they make it really similar to the real deal? I'm looking for Allure dress 8766. Is anyone looking to sell their dress afte their wedding?!

Re: Knock Off Wedding Dresses

• You have to be really careful about those types of sites, many will either take your money and run, or deliver incredibly subpar results.  Below are some websites that I've heard have worked well for other brides around The Knot.

http://www.pearlsplace.com
    http://www.netbride.com
    http://www.rkbridal.com
    http://www.jaysbridal.com

Do NOT use okaydress.com or House of Brides.

If you're looking for someone who might sell theirs after the wedding, I'd post a "WTB" thread on the classifieds board.  You might get lucky there!
  • Also check recycled bride and ebay
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • And oncewed.com
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Generally the ladies around here will advise against knock off sites because it's hard to be sure you'll be happy with what you get or that they'll make it right if you aren't happy.  However if you search this and the attire and accessories board there are several pre-owned sites that the ladies will recommend.  You could also take a picture of your dream dress to somewhere like David's Bridal that carries less expensive gowns and see what they have that is similar.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • I have been thinking the same thing as I fell in love with a designer dress that's over my budget, then found it on some re-make sites.  I have heard that dresses with a lot of lace and beading aren't done well, and have seen good and bad reviews of many sites.  I'm thinking aboiut www.fishinthesky.com, they have a facebook page and people have posted some good reviews on there, and also have posted links to some online reviews.  It sounds like fishinthesky is good about 100% refunds if you are unsatisfied with your dress, so if you have enough time you might be able to order the knock-off dress, see if it will work, and if not, buy the real thing.

I too would love to hear reviews from people I know are real and have tried the knock-off dress sites.

The other thought I have is that I'd love to keep jobs in America, so that's something to consider.
  • In Response to Re: Knock Off Wedding Dresses:
    The other thought I have is that I'd love to keep jobs in America, so that's something to consider.
    Posted by rojacobs
    Honestly, that won't make much of a difference. Most aren't made in the US anyway. Maggie Sottero's (who by no means makes cheap dresses) are all made in China.
    Lizzie
    In Response to Re: Knock Off Wedding Dresses : Honestly, that won't make much of a difference. Most aren't made in the US anyway. Maggie Sottero's (who by no means makes cheap dresses) are all made in China.
    Posted by aragx6
    That's really good to know, my top 3 dresses are all from Maggie Sottero!  Now I don't feel quite as bad...
  • Please don't buy a knock off. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am going to second www.pearlsplace.com. I will  be getting my dress from there at about a 30% discount from what the bridal salon I went to was asking.

I really don't think I would trust a knock off site especially if your on a budget. If something happens I know losing even $200 to $300 dollars on a cheap knock off would put me in a real tough spot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    You have to be really careful about those types of sites, many will either take your money and run, or deliver incredibly subpar results.  Below are some websites that I've heard have worked well for other brides around The Knot. http://www.pearlsplace.com http://www.netbride.com http://www.rkbridal.com http://www.jaysbridal.com Do NOT use okaydress.com or House of Brides. If you're looking for someone who might sell theirs after the wedding, I'd post a "WTB" thread on the classifieds board.  You might get lucky there!
    Posted by dogsandfrogs

I was planning on getting my dress from House of Brides.  Why do you suggest not to?  They didn't come across as a knock off site and have actual store fronts so I thought they would be a good source.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    In Response to Re: Knock Off Wedding Dresses : I was planning on getting my dress from House of Brides.  Why do you suggest not to?  They didn't come across as a knock off site and have actual store fronts so I thought they would be a good source.
    Posted by xobride
    In addition to the comment about them being caught not being authorized to sell dresses they were selling, a friend of mine had us order our bridesmaids dresses from there (before we knew about the authorization issue).  They lost one of the orders and ordered the wrong size for 2 of the other dresses, and refused to fix it.  While we were arguing about that, another bride was there arguing with the manager about the dress she had ordered.  They had ordered her the wrong dress and were trying to tell her she should be happy because this dress was "better".  They eventually told her she could take the sample (which was ripped and dirty), but they still wanted her to pay full price.
  • I emailed Pearls and they don't carry the dress I want.  They say they have that line, but not that dress,  I tried to email RK, but it came back undeliverable.  So far, House of Brides has been the only one to have my dress and respond to my email.  I've read some good reviews, too so I'm going to order early and hope for the best.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I just received a dress from blissful-gift.com and it was a huge mistake.  I thought I was ordering a version of the Sarah Arnett Sophie dress.  Not at all. 

I would not recommend this route to anyone.  I'm not going to wear what I received.  I'm not super picky and I don't expect everything to be perfect for my wedding, but the dress they sent me is so completely different from what I wanted.  It doesn't look at all like the picture.  It looks cheap and silly. 

I would have never bought it if I had seen it in person.  I'm going to buy another dress.
  • After being a member of so many bridal boards for the past 4 years as a new bride and now planning a renewal, I want to say OFCOURSE you have to be careful with knockoff sites. HOWEVER, I know of dozens of brides who have used a few, saved thousands and been perfectly happy with their gowns. I think that brides are naturally skeptical and thehorror stories so well known we tend to automatically tell brides not to do it. My advice? RESEARCH, just like you do for all the other elements of your wedding. There are several knockoff sites who have earned high markes with internet bridal discussion boards. My tips are: Only consider sites where you have seen the work ie, other brides you post with or know personally have ordered with good results. Only consider sites who make it standard to send photos of the gowns while in production. That way, you see your dress as its being made each step of the way. These sites also give you final approval prior to shipment. Check with the Better Business Bureau. Many times you can do a search on bbb.org by just plugging in the web address for the company you are using. Andfinally STALK THE BOARDS. lol I have seen pages and pages of posts WITH PHOTOS from brides documenting their experience with different knock off companies. Go with the popular ones and don't take a chance on the unknowns. A few of the good ones I know of off the top of my head based on perusing bestdestinationwedding.com, projectwedding.com and weddingbee.com for the past 4 years are duosheng.com, coralsbridal.com and dressilyme.com. there are TONS of reviews and Corals and duosheng even have photos of THEIR VERSIONS of some of the dresses so you can see the type of work they do. Dressily will tell you up front even if they don't think they can do a low cost version of your choice. Thats honest and speaks well of the company to me. Just research. Its nice if brides can afford to spend thousands...good for them. But not everyone can and this can be a decent option for those who cannot.
  • I am one such bride who just does not have the funds to spend on a dress...nor could I feel good having spent so much. So, here I sit having just ordered from such a site little more then 24 hours ago thinking....oh boy, what have I done? So far I do have to say they have been in touch with me to check up on some mesurements to see they were correct (apparently your hip should be bigger then your bust size, maybe I was built upside down ;-p  )., I will update when the dress comes and post pics if possible. Fingers crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards