Honeymoon Discussions
Options

In need of guidance on cruising!

My H and I never got our HM (Navy pilots.. they are always so busy :P ) so FINALLY we have the time to make up for it with kick-butt vacations! We just recently moved to Florida and are wanting to take advantage of all it has to offer.. Especially with CRUISES!

I have been reading up on cruises, but it's a bit overwhelming for first timers like us; so I was hoping you all could help? I promise not to be vague :o

These are our guidelines: 
- We want to leave out of New Orleans or Jacksonville, ideally.. But are willing to go farther south if it's necessary. 
- We want anywhere between 5-9 day trip
- We are not very kid friendly, and would prefer a more "adult" friendly atmosphere
- We are looking at any time between August-November (this will help cut out a lot of families with kids, I'm sure.. Yes we realize this is hurrican season, so insurance will be bought!) 
- We're VERY outdoorsy and so we're hoping to find something that offers a lot in terms of that.. Not necessarily fitness classes, but kayaking, horseback riding, etc. Anything a little "out of the norm"  :) 
- I have a bit of a picky diet (although I always have to work around it.. but if you happen to know a line that is really great with pickyness that is certainly a plus!) 
- Not that interested in the Caymans, because my uncle lives there (we're visitng next month) so we would like to go to places that are new to us.
- Our wallets are pretty open

Anyone been on something similar to what I have described or have any cruise line or destination suggestions? 

I don't see us staying in the cabin often.. We like to be out and about, mingling, tanning, swimming, etc.. Has anyone been content with an inside cabin for this reason? I'm just wondering if it's really necessary to get anything other than that. 

Thanks so much in advance! 

Re: In need of guidance on cruising!

• Options

vacationstogo.com
    cruisesonly.com

after school is back in session and not during school holidays will remove a lot of kids. longer than a week will remove more.
    really the best thing for you to do is check out which cruises go where and see which interest you more. each island has great things to do-from relaxing to adventure, so you'll always find something to do.

as for the room. the length of time you spend in there really doesn't matter. what does is the quality of the time. remember you'll sleep, shower, get dressed, relax from a busy day or sit around while DH is showering. to me that makes a balcony TOTALLY worth it. im not a big breakfast person-so i like to have a small meal room serviced early in the AM and eat on the balcony. it' sa nice way to start the day. to me there's no choice but a balcony. but that's me. it's not that you'll spend more time there but you'll enjoy your time there a whole lot more. i love having a glass of wine before dinner or after but before bed out there-it's so quiet and peaceful.  and a cocktail int he afternoon is great.

this is what i've found personally on cruises i've taken. disney had the most kids HOWEVER they were excellent about keeping the kids in kid areas and out of adult only areas. i saw very few kids on that cruise (i dont have any of my own).  carnival also does a great job of that. princess sucked at it. there werent any kids on my cunard cruise.

cruisecritic.com is an excellent resorce as well.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the advice and personal opinion on the room size! 
    I have been reading every article there is to read on cruisecritic.com. It's making me go cross-eyed with all the informaiton! haha Very informative. 
    I'll check out the links you posted, and thanks for the response about the kids. I always fear offending people when it comes to that, but we just aren't kid-oriented people. 
  • Options
    nope-dont worry about the kids. look there probably will be kids-but if you make sure you get a ship that has the quiet pool area and a later dinner seating you'll probably steer clear of most of them.
    good luck and i hope you enjoy it :)

• Options
    Check out cruisecritic.com! I read and posted there every day for months leading up to my cruise. I cruised on the Norwegian Gem last winter and LOVED it. Feel free to PM me with any questions at all!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Also, BF and I stayed in an inside cabin - the cheapest type - and we were fine with it. It was a little cramped of course, but we didn't spend too much time in there and the bed was AMAZINGLY comfortable so the time we did spend there was great :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    You ladies are so helpful! 
    Thanks CMG for the links. I will have to sign up. Glad you have so much luck. I'm amazed at how much you cruise! O.o 

Humming, so glad to hear you had a great time on the Gem! The more I read, the more I lean towards Norwegian. It's a huge plus that it's out of NOLA (I currently live in Pensacola, Fl so that's only 2.5hr drive) and it seems to really cater towards younger couples with the nightlife and outdoorsy stuff. 

• Options
    EXTRA THANKS CMG! Just signed up at the site you gave me and they do military discounts :) 
  • Options
    I'd suggest at least getting a room with a window - I would not wake up if I were in an inside room. A balconey is amazing - when you want to relax a private balconey is so, so nice. I've been on Norwegian cruises, and they are very laid back. I'm glad I didn't have to pack any fancy clothes for it.
  • Options
    Winelover, How long was your Norwegian cruise for? I like laid back but I would like one or two "formal" nights.. so.. hmm.... 
  • Options
    CMG- PM returned! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_in-need-of-guidance-on-cruising?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:c0cb67ea-2320-457e-9146-12dd1d615fadPost:f8769bc9-bb54-4db7-83af-625e4523a348">Re: In need of guidance on cruising!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Winelover, How long was your Norwegian cruise for? I like laid back but I would like one or two "formal" nights.. so.. hmm.... 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

<div>I went on two - funny enough it was the same ship and same port twice (Bermuda!!). Anyways, both were 7 days. They each had one optional formal night where you could dress up. I brought a nicer sundress on each because I didn't feel like packing a cocktail dress and heels. There were also 2 restaurants that weren't included in the price and were much ritzier than the regular dining room, so I feel like a nice dress would have fit in well there too. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_in-need-of-guidance-on-cruising?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:c0cb67ea-2320-457e-9146-12dd1d615fadPost:ef59e273-5c8c-41f8-a7d6-42d5feab41b2">In need of guidance on cruising!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My H and I never got our HM (Navy pilots.. they are always so busy :P ) so FINALLY we have the time to make up for it with kick-butt vacations! We just recently moved to Florida and are wanting to take advantage of all it has to offer.. Especially with CRUISES! I have been reading up on cruises, but it's a bit overwhelming for first timers like us; so I was hoping you all could help? I promise not to be vague :o)  <div>
    </div><div>These are our guidelines:  </div><div>- We want to leave out of New Orleans or Jacksonville, ideally.. But are willing to go farther south if it's necessary.  <font color="#ff0000">In my opinion there aren't that many "good" itineraries out of these two ports.  I would suggest looking at Port Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.  Many 7 night itineraries to choose from.</font></div><div><font color="#ff0000">
    </font></div><div>- We want anywhere between 5-9 day trip - We are not very kid friendly, and would prefer a more "adult" friendly atmosphere - We are looking at any time between August-November (this will help cut out a lot of families with kids, I'm sure.. Yes we realize this is hurrican season, so insurance will be bought!)  <font color="#ff0000">During this time frame there will be fewer kids sailing since school is back in session (although August maybe not so much).  The mass market lines (Carnival, Royal, Norweigan, Disney and even Princess to an extent) will always have kids because they market heavily to families.  During the late summer and early fall there will be fewer options because a lot of the ships will be stationed in Europe, Alaska and the Northeast.  In October/November they start moving back to Florida for the peak season.</font></div><div>
    </div><div>- We're VERY outdoorsy and so we're hoping to find something that offers a lot in terms of that.. Not necessarily fitness classes, but kayaking, horseback riding, etc. Anything a little "out of the norm"  :)  <font color="#ff0000">Most islands have more active excursions.  I also like doing more "extreme" things.  Once you narrow down your choices to a few itineraries that sounds good to you Google "Isand Name Shore Excursions" and start looking at options and prices.  Zip lining, snorkeling, hiking mountains, kayaking, etc. are available in most places.  If you want a truly ACTIVE cruise I highly suggest flying to San Juan and taking a 7-night southern cruise.  Usually 6 different islands on the 7 days (only one day at sea) and the islands have a lot of activities to offer to keep your adrenaline going.  </font></div><div>
    </div><div>- I have a bit of a picky diet (although I always have to work around it.. but if you happen to know a line that is really great with pickyness that is certainly a plus!)  <font color="#ff0000">All lines are capable of handling food allergies to some extent.  If you just don't "like" certain foods you should be able to find plenty of options.  All ships have a buffet that is open at most times with TONS of options.  The main dining rooms are open at most meal times (always for dinner) and you can somewhat customize the menu in the fact you can ask for a plain chicken breast or extra sauce.  There are children's menus if you prefer chicken tenders and fries.  :)</font></div><div>
    </div><div>- Not that interested in the Caymans, because my uncle lives there (we're visitng next month) so we would like to go to places that are new to us. <font color="#ff0000">Most 7 night Western cruises will go to Grand Cayman but you may find some that don't.  If you want to avoid that island look at the Eastern, Southern or the Bahamas.</font></div><div>
    </div><div>- Our wallets are pretty open Anyone been on something similar to what I have described or have any cruise line or destination suggestions?  <font color="#ff0000">If money really isn't an issue I would recommend flying to San Juan and doing a 7 night cruise.  The Barbados route is a favorite of mine.  I went swimming with the wild sea turtles in Barbados, both kayaking and zip lining in St. Lucia (one each on two different cruises), a segway tour in Antigua, Snuba in St. Martin and snorkeling in St. Thomas.  Beautiful islands and so many options you will find it hard to decide what you want to do.</font></div><div>
    </div><div>I don't see us staying in the cabin often.. We like to be out and about, mingling, tanning, swimming, etc.. Has anyone been content with an inside cabin for this reason? I'm just wondering if it's really necessary to get anything other than that.  Thanks so much in advance!  <font color="#ff0000">I would recommend at least an Oceanview cabin if money is not an issue and a balcony is even better.  If you have a lot of ports then I would give up the cabin since you are off the ship exploring the ports so much of your trip.  </font>

</div><div>See my suggestions in red.  :)</div>
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for your response, April! 
    Yeah, I think we are looking at a cruise over Halloween to avoid the kiddos. I found one that looks great and avoids the Grand Cayman over that time. 

I think I have been convinced on the balcony room, and the website that CMG posted offers a lot of military discounts which makes hte balcony room an even better deal! 

Money is not an issue by any means but I just can't justify FLYING somewhere to then get on a boat. I would rather fly somewhere and stay there. At least as a cruising novice, anyway. I would rather buy another ticket home to Seattle + a cruise than buy a ticket TO a cruise. That's a big reason we're looking at just Jacksonville and NOLA. We're trying to keep travel time to a minimum so that we can fit in as many trips as H's work will allow him... Taking extra days for just travel just isn't worth it to me. 

You ladies have all been so helpful! 
    Thanks so so much :) This board is a huge help.
  • Options
    OH! and as far as my "picky eating" goes... 
    I'm vegan. 
    Yeeeeahh.. not the easiest thing to work around, but I'm sure they will at least have salad for me! 
  • Options
    The onlyl cruise that leaves from JAX is Carnival's Fascination.  It will chock full of kids.

Take a cruise from NO to the Western Caribbean.  It's the most "active" / outdoorsy.  Book something with lots of ports & few sea days. 

If your cruise has formal night -- not all do -- get DH to wear his mess dress.  You'll love the photos.  If you don't the attention skip the uniform

The majority of cruises are 7 days.  Try to get to your destination / port of embarkation the day before you sail to avoid any potential travel snafus. 

Join your Roll Call thread on cruisecritic once you book. 

You can save money by booking excursions independently rather than through the cruise line.  Understand a cruiseline's sponsered excuriosn is late returning, the ship will wait for you.  If you are on your own, be on time.  The ship will sail without you. 
  • Options
    My favorite cruise line has been Royal Caribbean. It definitely had a lot of activities like rock climbing, fun pools, fun people, good comedians. Not a ton of kids when I went, which was really nice. It also had good food!
    Princess is also very nice and is geared toward the older crowd so there were very few kids when I went (I think I saw maybe 5 the entire time). On the downside it also has more of the older crowd entertainment. Really good food on this one too.
    I would steer clear from Carnival. There were a million kids (we went in April during school season, didn't help), the food was mediocre at best, and the ship itself wasn't a good layout.
    Sounds like you're already pretty convinced, but I would also like to say the balcony is AMAZING. It's so peaceful to wake up to, and great to sit out with a glass of wine and a good book.
  • Options
    OP, sounds like you're going to have a great trip.  FI and I both loved the 1 cruise we've each taken, and we've been researching like crazy to find a couple we can hopefully take before we get collective baby brain.  If you decide you like cruising, I have to agree with April - the San Juan cruise looks incredible.  The flights aren't that expensive, and you're departing out of a really interesting city with lots of history (that most Americans never even think about!).  The cruises on some really nice cruise lines (ie: Celebrity) are also dirt cheap, compared to some other itineraries.  I think our next cruise will likely be the San Juan/Barbados itinerary over Thanksgiving or Christmas one year.  For your first cruise, though, I think it's a good idea to depart from your local port city :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree.. I'm sure I will give in to the flying if I end up on the Cruise-loving wagon. :) For the first time, though, I would like an easy commute! NOLA is only 2.5 hours away, and Jacksonville as a lot of friends we know that we could leave our car with :P  Thanks hoffse for the reassurance and extra opinion on the San Juan. It DOES sound amazing! 

dal- That's what we're looking at. I would like to hop the Norwegian in October and think I am pretty set on it. Relaxing while on the boat, and being active on the islands sounds like a dream.
    It'll just come down to if H can get clearance to go. (He had to get clearance just go to to CANADA when we lived in Washington, and we were only 50 miles from the border! Ridiculous.. lol) The Navy is overly protective, but I think they will be okay since it's a cruise and not a full vacation. 

liza- and everyone else, I really appreciate all the first-hand experiences with the different cruise lines. It's a huge help and definitely reassuring to know that we'll have better luck avoiding kids during the school year. I don't mind some.. I just don't want to be hassled in the pool. ;) My H is too kind and will get stuck playing with them for hours on end because he can't say "Okay, I'm done!" haha

• Options
    We just booked a Royal Caribbean cruise for the beginning of October to the Southern/Eastern Caribbean.  We're SO excited, it's our first cruise ever.  We're flying to San Juan, then cruising to St Maarten, St Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia, and Barbados.  There are plenty of island excursions offered, we're probably going ziplining in St Lucia.  I know I saw horseback riding offered on one of these islands too.  We did splurge for a balcony room, but I'm sure it's worth it.  We love to take photographs, and I love to lounge around when on vacation... so the balcony just makes sense for us.  I think you should keep this cruise in mind, good luck searching!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_in-need-of-guidance-on-cruising?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:c0cb67ea-2320-457e-9146-12dd1d615fadPost:89033dbd-aa57-4f22-ab8c-ed2916551e78">Re: In need of guidance on cruising!</a>:
    [QUOTE]OH! and as far as my "picky eating" goes...  I'm vegan.  Yeeeeahh.. not the easiest thing to work around, but I'm sure they will at least have salad for me! 

let them know. they will accomidate you.

and it's not silly to fly somewhere for a cruise. you'll get a better itinerary if you do. it's worth it and short flights.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_in-need-of-guidance-on-cruising?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:c0cb67ea-2320-457e-9146-12dd1d615fadPost:20e75cfb-35ba-4ee4-a5ca-4bc47aef2a41">Re: In need of guidance on cruising!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We just booked a Royal Caribbean cruise for the beginning of October to the Southern/Eastern Caribbean.  We're SO excited, it's our first cruise ever.  We're flying to San Juan, then cruising to St Maarten, St Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia, and Barbados.  There are plenty of island excursions offered, we're probably going ziplining in St Lucia.  I know I saw horseback riding offered on one of these islands too.  We did splurge for a balcony room, but I'm sure it's worth it.  We love to take photographs, and I love to lounge around when on vacation... so the balcony just makes sense for us.  I think you should keep this cruise in mind, good luck searching!
    Posted by kks4471[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I did this itinerary and it was amazing!!!!  I did the ziplining in St. Lucia (booked privately through Treetop Adventures) and it was a blast!  If you want a "down" day I highly recommend Palm Court Gardens, for a $10 day pass you get access to their infinity pool that overlooks the pier, the gardens and the grounds.  Drinks are extra but we had the place to ourselves except for occassional tour groups that would stop by to take pictures.  And make sure you go swimming with the sea turtles in Barbados!!!!!

</div>
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_in-need-of-guidance-on-cruising?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:c0cb67ea-2320-457e-9146-12dd1d615fadPost:130c16eb-0991-4385-bb7f-c1ac4a50809d">Re: In need of guidance on cruising!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: In need of guidance on cruising! : let them know. they will accomidate you. and it's not silly to fly somewhere for a cruise. you'll get a better itinerary if you do. it's worth it and short flights.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Again, it's not that I'm completely anti-flying to a cruise. It's that I don't want to go through all that trouble on our very FIRST cruise, considering I don't fly well. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_in-need-of-guidance-on-cruising?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:c0cb67ea-2320-457e-9146-12dd1d615fadPost:982cbf2a-1433-4912-a763-74ea4874c77d">Re: In need of guidance on cruising!</a>:
    [QUOTE] If your cruise has formal night -- not all do -- get DH to wear his mess dress.  You'll love the photos.  If you don't the attention skip the uniform The majority of cruises are 7 days. 
    Posted by dalm0m[/QUOTE]

<div>I wish! It's a no-go according to the military. It's practicing poor PERSEC (personal security) to tell everyone, "Hey, I'm a Naval Officer!" unfortunately, but he does have a new suit he had made last deployment that he hasn't gotten to wear yet. :) </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards