Honeymoon Discussions

Recommendations in Australia?

I am going to Australia for my honeymoon, and want to spend the time wisely.  If anyone has recommendations on where to stay and what to see/do that would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Recommendations in Australia?

• My recommendations would totally depend on 

1. how long you will be there
    2. what type of activities you enjoy

I was there for a month and can give you recommendations about Sydney, the Great Barrier Reef, and the Northern Territory.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Most tourists totally skip the west coast of Australia which I think is a shame. Sydney is great and all but in the end it is just like every other city with a few must see places.
    If you like the outdoors places like Katherine and Broome are brilliant. The beaches along Western Australia and South Australia are beautiful and Adelaide is a really pretty laidback city. Also you have Tasmania which again a lot of tourists skip. Beautiful national parks and small towns.
    As eviltwin said it depends on how long you are there and what your interests are.
    For example if you want to see Australian animals I would suggest Healesville Sanctuary in Victoria or heading to the outback to see them in the wild whilst a tourist book will say to head to Taronga zoo.
  • Hi there!

I'm originally from Australia and agree with jaye- lots of people don't go to the west coast, but it is really amazing - beaches, wildlife, wineries, all these things exist there too! Also Perth - the capital of W.A. is incredible - it's a small city but even the city beach is beautiful! There are so many places to see in Australia!  A chance to go to the centre of Australia should not be missed either - if you can go to Uluru (Ayer's Rock) - you definitely should. Then, there's the Great Barrier Reef - I don't think I need to tell you how incredible it is!!

Most people of course go to Sydney, which is definitely a must-see, but Melbourne is a very cool city, amazing food, clubs, shopping, boutique hotels and of course beaches, wildlife sancturaries and wineries around the state!!

As other PP's have pointed out - Australia is HUGE!

So, I think that the first things you guys should think about are: how long are you going for and in what season? These questions will really determine where you should go. Also what sort of things do you want to do/see?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi there,

I lived in Australia for a year and am not an expert by any definitions of the word, but travelled to most areas (NOT Tas or WA).

IMO if you are going to spend that much money, fly for 24hrs, and need at least 1 day of time-change recovery, you should be spending AT LEAST a month in this gorgeous country! Let me know the areas you are considering and I can help you out. The Lonely Planet book is very good -I used it when I went. Within country flights, and flights to NZ are quite cheap. I'm sure you are familiar with Australia's major attractions, but there are little zoos and aquariums all over. What time of year are you going? December-February is the best time as its hot there. Our summer time it tends to be cold and rainy but if you stick to the Northern areas, you will be closer to the equator. I am so jealous and wish I could go back there!! ahh maybe one day...  best of luck with your researching!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards