• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Budget and DIY Weddings

$299 or $99 wedding dress?

Hey ladies,

I've been in a dress dilemma.

This wedding dress as below link is amazing at DB, which is on sale $299.
http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Soft-Net-Gown-with-Delicately-Draped-Bodice-VW351003_Sale-Sale-Bridal-Gowns
It's so glamourous which I totally fall in love with. However, I stumbled upon another gorgeous wedding dress at http://www.outerinner.com/

I know the wedding dress at DB already rocks in comparison to its original price, howbeit, the latter one is incredibly priced $94. It looks nice in the pic, right?

I'm just not sure if I should go for the cheaper one since I've been on a budget wedding, or I should stick with my dream Vera Wang dress? Hmmm...
Thought is the labour of the interllect, reverie is its pleasure.

Re: $299 or $99 wedding dress?

• I love the DB dress... it's so much more elegant. I think the important thing to ask is whether you have tried either dress on. A dress can look completely different (better or worse) once it starts falling off of your body.
  • Stick with the Vera Wang.  The second site is another Chinese knockoff site so the materials/craftsmanship may be sub-par and actual garment might not be what you're expecting from the materials.  You'll also have a lot harder time returning it if there's an issue.

• Which dress do YOU want to wear and see yourself walking down the aisle in? Doesn't matter which one we all like better - your wedding, your pictures, your memories. I personally hate strapless dresses so I would never wear one but that doesn't mean I'd tell someone not to buy one, you know?
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • edited May 2012
    I love the Vera DB dress and that price is still amazing. I so wish I had found a dress I wanted to buy there!
    "When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
  • In Response to Re: $299 or $99 wedding dress?:
    Stick with the Vera Wang.  The second site is another Chinese knockoff site so the materials/craftsmanship may be sub-par and actual garment might not be what you're expecting from the materials.  You'll also have a lot harder time returning it if there's an issue.
    Posted by flutterbride2b
    Ditto.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Stick with the Vera Wang.  The second site is another Chinese knockoff site so the materials/craftsmanship may be sub-par and actual garment might not be what you're expecting from the materials.  You'll also have a lot harder time returning it if there's an issue.
    Posted by flutterbride2b
    Ditto this! My date is too far out at this point, but I keep eye-ing that dress... gorgeous!

• Have you tried onthe Vera Wang yet? Many stores give you a 10-20% discount if you buy it at the first tryon. Also - DB has all kinds of online discounts. Ask if the store will honor those.

Happy dress shopping.
  • edited May 2012
    If you buy the DB dress online use the code save10now which will give you 10% off; and buy when they have free shipping!

*ETA that I was referring to buying the DB dress not the knockoff
  • If you've tried on the Vera Wang dress and love how it fits, get it! It is really pretty! I just stress making sure you like it on you because I tried on other Vera Wang sale dresses a couple months ago and while they were pretty, they just weren't "me". I ended up getting one of the Galina Signature dresses.

You just need to prioritize costs for your wedding. If your dress is a high priority, then $300 is a great deal and you can make cuts elsewhere. Good luck :)
  • Another vote for Vera Wang! That's a great price.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DB's in our area is having their $99 dollar gown sale right now.  They usually take an extra hundred dollars off a dress under a certain amount...it may apply to your gorgeous Vera Wang that I would splurge on anyways!  If your local store doesn't have it in your size, I know they can order if from other locations, though probably cheaper online, still. 
  • I say Vera as well.... plus who knows if an online dress for $94 will fit you!?!? The alterations alone could be hundreds of dollars and by then ou just purchased the Vera you "dreamed" about as you posted!!!!
    ~Soon to be Mrs. Medeiros~
  • I think the neckline on the David's Bridal dress is more classic and will stand the test of time so that dress would be a better value than the $99 dress.  It is not a bad price to pay for a dress and you can always trim your attire costs by foregoing a veil and by wearing shoes, jewelry, and etc. that you arleady own.

Another thing to consider in price is alterations.  My gown was $99 but alterations cost me about $150.  Once you try on the dress at David's Bridal you will know what you are getting into with alterations.  You can't be as sure of the fit with the one you would order online and then if it's way too small or something it might be hard to alter it.  I would recommend having your alterations done by an independent seamstress, David's Bridal is overpriced and I've heard bad things about their workmanship.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
    I think the neckline on the David's Bridal dress is more classic and will stand the test of time so that dress would be a better value than the $99 dress.  It is not a bad price to pay for a dress and you can always trim your attire costs by foregoing a veil and by wearing shoes, jewelry, and etc. that you arleady own. Another thing to consider in price is alterations.  My gown was $99 but alterations cost me about $150.  Once you try on the dress at David's Bridal you will know what you are getting into with alterations.  You can't be as sure of the fit with the one you would order online and then if it's way too small or something it might be hard to alter it.  I would recommend having your alterations done by an independent seamstress, David's Bridal is overpriced and I've heard bad things about their workmanship.
    Posted by meganb1977
    I agree with this. I'd be more comfortable buying a dress I tried on first. I found my dress at David's Bridal but I'm going some where else to have alterations done.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey girls,

Thank you for y'all opinions! I tried on a similar wedding dress of this Vera wang style in my local bridal store, I wish I could take some pics for you guys to see, but they just didn't allow me to do so. Ugh.

However,  I decided to follow my heart, I think pay more to own my dream wedding gown is better than having a dress regret.  Thank you for your all help!

Xoxo
    Thought is the labour of the interllect, reverie is its pleasure.