Honeymoon Discussions

June honeymoon.. Costa rica vs Hawaii?

Helppp!! This is difficult! June 2013 honeymoon. Based on our idea of 1/2 relaxation ( beach, pool, alcohol) and 1/2adventure ( zip linning, hiking, waterfalls) we are looking into the above. 8- 10 nights I think, trying for $6-8k.

Re: June honeymoon.. Costa rica vs Hawaii?

• Would skip Costa Rica.  Takes too long to get there, food and sanitary standards are not up to "Western Tourist" standards unless you stay every day and every night on a resort run by American company or Western Europe company.

Hawaii is expensive but you do get what you pay for.  Go there.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_june-honeymoon-costa-rica-vs-hawaii?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:d62d1e9a-955c-4d9d-a9e8-577c7fb95821Post:520b8c89-15a8-4c7d-937a-828eab37e434">Re: June honeymoon.. Costa rica vs Hawaii?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would skip Costa Rica.  Takes too long to get there, food and sanitary standards are not up to "Western Tourist" standards unless you stay every day and every night on a resort run by American company or Western Europe company. Hawaii is expensive but you do get what you pay for.  Go there.
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

Wow have you BEEN to Costa Rica?  It is gorgeous, safe, clean, friendly, and only a 2-4 hour flight from the USA.  We spent a beautiful 10 day honeymoon in CR and loved every minute. We stayed in three different regions of the country, in amazing 5 star resorts, I might add - LOCALLY RUN boutique hotels, that got top marks on Trip Advisor and Frommers, and were 1/3 the price of similar accomidations in the Caribbean. It lived up to everything we had imagined and more.  If you are seriously thinking about Costa Rica, I would disregard this review, get yourself a Frommer's guide to explore the different regions of the country, and start dreaming. 
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    My only warning about CR is that June is rainy season.  We looked into it as well for a May 2013 HM and ultimately disregarded it because of the time of year.  I have no idea if rainy season literally means lots of rain, but it was enough to convince us to look elsewhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would agree, disgard the negative post.
    First, it should roughly take 5-6 hours from NYC to CR.  It would take 12 to get to Hawaii.
    Second, tourism is a booming business in CR.  While I'm sure there are some "sub-par" accomodations, there are plenty of 5-star as well.  One of the hotels we are going to was just and the #6 hotel in the world in the Travel & Leisure readers poll.
    We are headed to CR in December for our honeymoon.  We had the same exact thought process as you, fun activities and beach/relaxing.  We are going to La Fortuna near Arenal Volcano for four nights.  We booked the adventure package at Nayara.  We then head off to Guanacaste and the JW Marriott for three nights.
    I'm not sure about the weather in June, but I've seen some reviews that say the rainy season isn't too bad.  I think some parts of the country are definitely more rainy than others.  I believe some of the reviews have said it can be like Florida with the passing shower, but I'm sure it can also rain all day.
  • Wow, Kristen#s etiquette advice isn't the only thing stuck in the 1950s. 

OP, I went to Hawaii for my HM, but I have been to Belize/Costa Rica previously. Honestly I enjoyed Central America more. Hawaii was VERY touristy (Kauai less so than Maui/the Big Island), overpriced, and it just felt inauthentic to me (maybe that's the "American Standard" Kristen is talking about). The food was way better, the people were nicer, and I just enjoyed the over all experience much more in CR. 
  • edited July 2012
    Fiance and I were just in Costa Rica in June.. We had a very similar trip to what you are describing and spent about $4000 total.  I cannot recommend Costa Rica enough!!!

ETA:Siggy Pic was taken in Costa Rica!
    255313_3528328290997_1532703995_n
    We say, "I do" on July 12, 2014.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
  • We are also going to Costa Rica, but in December.  We are doing something very similar to what you describe.  We are starting at the Arenal Nayara and doing all of the "adventurous" rain forest activities.  Then we are going to the Westin Playa Conchal to relax.  It will end up being $4-5K with airfare.  We are so excited!  I do think that June is rainy season though, so I would definitely keep that in mind when deciding.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • With your budget either locale is definitely more than doable. I've been to Costa Rica and Hawaii and enjoyed both locations. I do believe that June is rainy season in Costa Rica but even so it is unlikely that it will rain all day. I would recommend checking a few books out on both locations so that you can determine which place you would rather visit as they have many similarities but also many differences. I've got entries in my travel blog here on my trip to Costa Rica.
  • Here's a comparison of COSTA RICA versus HAWAII:

http://www.dowhatyoulove.com/hawaii-costarica/

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_june-honeymoon-costa-rica-vs-hawaii?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:d62d1e9a-955c-4d9d-a9e8-577c7fb95821Post:f9b92680-23e7-4257-94c6-a6d96328722f">Re: June honeymoon.. Costa rica vs Hawaii?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here's a comparison of COSTA RICA versus HAWAII: <a href="http://www.dowhatyoulove.com/hawaii-costarica/" rel="nofollow">http://www.dowhatyoulove.com/hawaii-costarica/</a>

Wow, one random person's personal webpage. The internet is full of people who give their personal opinions and post it as fact. 

OP, make your own choices based on your research, and you'll get the trip you love.  Travel is an adventure. Have fun.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_june-honeymoon-costa-rica-vs-hawaii?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:d62d1e9a-955c-4d9d-a9e8-577c7fb95821Post:f9b92680-23e7-4257-94c6-a6d96328722f">Re: June honeymoon.. Costa rica vs Hawaii?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here's a comparison of COSTA RICA versus HAWAII: <a href="http://www.dowhatyoulove.com/hawaii-costarica/" rel="nofollow">http://www.dowhatyoulove.com/hawaii-costarica/</a>

This is one person's personal opinion. That is in no way hard facts. Plus, even IF you were to take this one person's advice, he points out cons to Hawaii as well. It is ridiculous that you are citing a personal web page as your source for credible information.

OP, FWIW, I have not been to Costa Rice but have been to Hawaii. We did love Hawaii but it was very pricey and a long plane flight. I would love to go to CR someday. I would do some research on your own--Trip Advisor, Frommer's, Fodor's, etc--are all reliable guides. If you are truly unsure about planning the trip on your own, you could consult a travel agent for no cost to you. I have known many people to vacation or honeymoon in CR and love it. Having said that we also loved Hawaii and it had the mixture of relaxation and activities like you said you wanted. I really don't think you can go wrong with either place.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I've not been to Costa Rica, but I have been to all of the major islands in Hawaii.  Hawaii is definitely a beautiful place, but I've also heard the same of Costa Rica, so you really need to just do your research into both and find what YOU are looking for in a HM.

Anniversary
  • tlc35tlc35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I haven't been to Hawaii yet but I LOVED Costa RIca.  I would say Costa Rica is probably less expensive that Hawaii from what I have heard.  We went to Volcano Arenal and did the rafting, caving, rapelling, and horseback riding and then went zip lining in Monteverde "the cloud forest".  I loved the simpler lifestyle of Costa Rica but there are plenty of nice safe places to stay for almost any budget.  We didn't make it to the beack because we didn't have time but I have heard that is really nice as well.
    ETA - we booked through Desafio Adventure company and were happy with them
  • thank you ALL for your input and your opinions. everything stated above has at least confirmed that i am thinking of the right places for me and FI but that we have to do our own research and make a decision. It is however comforting to speak to people who have been as opposed to just travel agetns. I have just discovered frommers and i'm in love with their website.

we will meet with a travel agent soon!

thanks again!!
  • I live in Hawaii. I would not recommed coming here for a HM...unless you stay on another island; like Kauai. I would totally recommed Kauai, it is a great island. Good for relaxing and enjoying your new husband. Hope this helps. CR sounds great never been probably will never go..to far away for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards