Outdoor Weddings

Do chairs/tables and grass mix?

We are having an outdoor wedding next fall. We are renting a tent, tables, and chairs. But we are thinking of just doing heavy hors d'oeuvres instead of dinner. I would love to get some high top tables with bar stools to mix along with regular tables. But my question is, will the chairs sink into the grass when people sit on them or do they put something on the ground under the table/chairs? If not does anyone have any suggestions? TIA!

Re: Do chairs/tables and grass mix?

• I've been to plenty of outdoor weddings, and depending on how damp/dry the ground is..yes, there is always a small percentage of 'sinkage'. :) My one piece of advice is do NOT get tables that are a 'pedestal' style-wether it's cocktail tables or for the cake! ANY ground is not level enough for those, and they can easily tip! Had a rental company set out one of those....the caterer thought he'd use it for the drinks: it immediately tipped over. So he gave it to me to use for the CAKE!!?? Needless to say, depsite my best efforts at bracing the base, someone leaned on the table and over the cake went! (don't worry, the groom caught it, and I rescued most of it) I've seen some rental/tent companies that actually can supply outdoor carpeting for under a tent.
  • jbnbridal1 are you a vendor. Vendors are not allowed on the message boards!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had an outdoor wedding last month on the grass and nothing sank.  We had regular tables, chairs, bar tables, etc and everything was fine.  I don't know about bar stools but the rental companies deal with grass sites all the time and they can warn you away from things that might sink or give you stools with thicker legs perhaps. 
    We're currently on a 15 month trip around the world!
    **Check out our travel blog**
    Planning Bio Married Bio
  • Also, jessicaanne, the poster above (jbnbridal) is posting as a knottie, which is totally allowed.  She is not trying to sell something or refer anyone to her own business so she has every right to give her input just like the rest of us.
    We're currently on a 15 month trip around the world!
    **Check out our travel blog**
    Planning Bio Married Bio
  • Jessica - Jbnbridal is not offering any services or posting as a vendor, but rather as a knottie. Therefore, she is free to post. However, if you or anyone else find that she attempts to sell any of her services be sure to let me or another mod know.
  • Just to make it perfectly clear ladies: I AM NOT A VENDOR!! Yes, I have been in the wedding industry for the past 25 years in a variety of positions, but at the moment I am no longer doing any of those! I am happily planning my oldest daughter's wedding in 40 days. Once the wedding is over, I thoroughly expect my time here on the knot to end. Thanks to those that spoke up for me. I appreciate it.
  • Ok so I should expect some sinkage! And I should talk to the vendor and see what they say! Glad to hear your tables/chairs worked out! that is true I should look into getting thicker legs! Thanks for your imput!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards