Outdoor Weddings
Options

Hay bales

I saw this really adorbale picture of some hay bales with linen(matched the color schemes) that someone had used for seating at their outdoor reception. I thought this was a cute idea and was thinking about doing it. As a guest would you prefer to sit on a chair or cute haybale lol.
Anniversary

Re: Hay bales

• Options
    edited October 2010
    I would probably prefer a chair, but definitely wouldn't mind sitting on a hay bale (as long as it wasn't super itchy). 
    weddingcollage
  • Options
    I agree with covering them up since it will be itchy and will poke people. But honestly, as a guest, I would prefer chairs.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind at all but please take into consideration elderly guest and children.  How long is your ceremony?  My parents (69 & 65) couldn't sit on hay bales for very long.  Under 30 min they would be find but older people may not be. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    We are using Hay Bales for seating. they will be draped with burlap to keep them from being too "pokey". I agree with the elderly needing different seating options... the hay bales may be too low to the ground and they won't have a back support. Any ideas or suggestions? Possibly thinking  rocking chairs for the grandparents?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think if you use haybales you need to get something heavy to drape them with. I've worked on farms my whole life and know that a regular long sleeved t-shirt and sometimes even jeans don't prevent scratches when you're moving hay so you want to be sure that if someone is sitting on a bale for 30+ min to make sure it's covered well. I would rent chairs for older guests and make sure they're reserved for specific people.
    Hope that helps!

• Options
    The idea is very cute (I even considered it myself at one point).  However, I think it would be better to use them for the ceremony rather than reception
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    OP-are you thinking of using them for the cocktail hour or for people to sit on during dinner?  We have chairs for the ceremony and dinner.  We are going to have a few tables and chairs for the cocktail hour and dance but I thought about using covered haybales for additional seating as well.
  • Options

I'd think chairs are a better way to go. Hay bales look nice ... but if you have to cover them to avoid "itchy-ness" (Which, you will, because hay is pretty itchy), you're not getting the "look" of them anyway.

Maybe you could use chairs for seating, but have a few bales stacked up in different parts of the room for decoration?

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards