Outdoor Weddings

Suggestions for Outdoor reception lighting/Chandeliers

I am planning an outdoor wedding reception on the bluff of Lake michigan. It is on my parents property- with high trees that I really want to utlitize. I LOVE the idea of hanging chandeliers and streaming lights from the trees but am having a hard time finding places to purchase these-- Know of any good resources? Thanks!!

Re: Suggestions for Outdoor reception lighting/Chandeliers

• When is your wedding? I don't know about chandeliers, but I stocked up on strings of white lights during the after Christmas sales.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I absolutely LOVE this website, linked below. I used them for a couple of things and they were timely and have an amazing selection of items. You don't say what your budget is, but they have a great "clearance and bargain" page, and here's a link to the "all lighting" page

http://www.shopwildthings.com/viallliop.html

They also carry beaded "curtains", ie like room dividers or doors, just tons of stuff. Take your time and go through their entire site.
  • Another thought...is to create your lighting with an array of different types of lanterns...using a favorite ribbon, or twine for a more rustic feel. Also...flowers can be attached to these. If fire hazards are a possible worry...just buy those flameless tealigts. I've found lanterns and fun chandeliers at IKEA's website of all places.
  • I have an idea that may help...especially if in a pinch....Although I don't know of anyone who sells chandeliers at an impressive inexpensive rate, I do have a bit of a DIY idea...check out your neighboring Joanns or Michaels. Look for 3 different sized wire wreaths...you know, the kind where you make your own holiday wreath with...spray them white or silver....and take fishing wire and a box of those mini diamonds (look for the ones with bead holes drilled into the tops of them)...they're about an inch in size (maybe even get the box with the varying sizes for a cooler effect). Next...string one wreath, to the next, and to the next...I recommend twine or heavy jute lightly sprayed silver and brushed to still show a little of the brown through them...it pulls the earthy yet elegant look together...and make a scrunched cover for the chain of cording to be covered from the top to the tree, to make them look more chandelier like...use tulle or dupioni silk..good reflective light bounce off those, or just keep the jute all the way up...its easy to toss and tie those from the trees for quite placement. I'd then hang the diamonds at staggering lengths with the fishing wire to create the more spectacular finish you're looking for...maybe even add in a few of those clear iridescent bubble-like Christmas ornaments here and there to add a bit of flare and dimension. I am doing this for my barn wedding and I am hanging 3 of those crystal edge sided "ball jam jars" with battery operated flicker lights in the center of it, at staggering lengths, to maintain the barn-like vibe...but then again...my colors are black, white, silver, and burlap so that may not work for you. Hope that helps. :) Otherwise, try sav-on-crafts...sometimes them or oriental trading company can get you lucky online.
  • Buying multiple chandeliers may be pricey, but you can always look to see if you can find some to rent.  It is quite common for brides to hang chandeliers in tents and I am guessing any large rental house near you may carry them.  Otherwise, I would search yard and garage sales for used ones and plan on spray painting them all the same color.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards