Outdoor Weddings

cake outside??

Hi,
We are having an indoor wedding but an an outdoor reception in July in the Northwest.  I am worried about my cake.  I think I want fondant, and have heard horror stories on TV about it sweating and being ruined...Then again, buttercream melts.  I would have the cake under a tent and as I said, it is the Northwest, so it should not get too hot...I just want to be prepared just incase.  How are you planning on displaying your cakes without having them melt?  Also, just how are you planning on displaying them? 
Oh one more question.  My FH and I would love unique ideas on cake flavors...I love Chocolate and peppermint, and other than that, we have no idea what to do for the other two tiers.  HELP.  Thanks so much!

Re: cake outside??

• The flavors you choose are really about what your baker can do and what they specialize in.  We had coconut cake with lime curd filling.  It was freaking delicious. 

As for the sweating, I really don't know what to tell you, other than that and the bugs.  I would say to do the cake cutting as soon as you arrive because then it can go inside and stop from melting/attracting bugs.
  • Cakes melt.  I saw it happen at my friend's wedding a few years ago.  A bunch of groomsmen had to run over, hold it up, and they had to the cake cutting in the middle of speeches.

If someone is in charge, please ask them to leave the cake inside until just as the reception starts.  Their cake sat outside in 95 degree, 100% humidity (and under a tent) for the entire ceremony and cocktail hour, which were elsewhere and lead to the entire problem. 
  • I agree with the previous poster.
    We're leaving our cake indoors until shortly before the cake cutting to avoid those problems.
  • I just asked this same question to my cake baker who has been in business for 15 years - she said that the cake has to be fondant if it's going to be in the heat.  Otherwise, BUTTERCREAM does melt like a sugar cube.  However, with thtat said, fondant is more expensive, but necessary.  Good luc!k!
  • One of the bakers we are looking at actually charges the same for buttercream or fondant...She is starting to look better and better.  Thank you for the information.  I would ask the baker, I just have not gotten the chance...we are starting to go tasting and talking with bakers this week to choose the one we want.  Thanks again!

• We kept ours inside until about 15 minutes before the cake-cutting and then the catering people brought it out. 
    We're currently on a 15 month trip around the world!
    **Check out our travel blog**
    Planning Bio Married Bio
  • I'm doing the same as others mentioned - keeping the cake inside until time for the cutting. I also asked my baker about fondant vs buttercream, and she said that if the buttercream is tempered (i.e. previously heated up when it's being made) that it doesn't tend to melt.
  • Ditto some of the PPs.  We had buttercream.  However, they kept it inside until right before the cake cutting.
  • Just a thought--you should invest in small ice packs, you could wrap them in tulle and flowers and put the around the cake.  We are doing this for our cupcake tree.  We are also purchasing two small fans which will be put behind the tree to blow (hopefully) coolor air around the tree.
  • yeah, i work with wedding planners, and one planner told me a story about when she first started her business and didn't have a lot of knowledge about averting wedding disasters lol, and the cake sat outside at an outdoor reception, and about halfway through (still a long way from the cake cutting ceremony) she noticed ants had gotten to the cake and had swarmed one whole side.  They ended up doing a quick cake cutting with the ant infested side turned away (the guests didn't notice), and just did it for the pics and such.  The planner ended up running to the store and buying sheet cake for the guests to eat cuz the cake was ruined. Now she keeps the cake inside until just before the cake cutting, then it gets cut and served right away.  
  • If inside isn't an option, see what your caterers can do for you to keep it in a cool place away from the bugs (maybe they have a portable fridge or something???
  • Thanks!  Our caterer is actually the on campus cook, so they do have access to a fridge.  We will talk to them.  I think we picked out cake and talked to the baker about history of their cakes melting.  The only cake they have ever had melt was an hour or so away on the hottest day of the year, and the cake did last 45 minutes before the top tier started to slip a little.  If the caterer can keep it in the fridge until the reception starts I think it will be okay.  Thanks again everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards