Outdoor Weddings

I have a bit of a problem...

I am from Houson TX, he is from Willmar MN, and we live in Oklahoma City. I am having a really hard time decideing where to have the wedding. I really want it to be outdoor, but I am afraid it will be too hot in Texas, too windy in Oklahoma, and I don't know of any places in Minnesota. I want it to have a simple backyard feel and I found the perefect place in TX,

http://weddings.greatoaksmanor.net/places-for-wedding-pics-in-texas/

(it is actually only a couple streets behind where I live) I am just afraid of it being too hot and making my guests uncomfortable. Any Opinions?

Re: I have a bit of a problem...

• If you want to have an outdoor wedding in TX, why not just pick a non-summer month?  Pick something that is late fall or early spring and I imagine that most of your guests will be comfortable.

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_bit-of-problem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:61f1abe2-bbef-4d3f-98b5-4c7e8a1cf658Post:25e83ac5-0289-4d6d-8361-85aad3994c45">Re: I have a bit of a problem...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you want to have an outdoor wedding in TX, why not just pick a non-summer month?  Pick something that is late fall or early spring and I imagine that most of your guests will be comfortable.
    Posted by cschuma2[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Summer is usually the only time I spend anytime there, and we have a lot of friends who would have to travel and we figure it would be easiest for everyone in late spring early summer. We still have a while to figure it out, I just don't want to dissapoint anyone.
  • If you're getting married in summer, it's likely to be hot regardless of where you are. It was 90-something degrees for my wedding in central Minnesota (obviously TX could be much hotter). Knowing that the weather is unpredictable, I just made sure my guests knew we were going to be outside so they could dress appropriately. We provided water and our programs were fans.

I say go for it. It looks like your guests would have access to shade. If you're able to do it during a cooler month, even better.
  • What about renting somewhere that has the option of being inside or outside. I'm in Ohio so I don't know anything about where you are, sorry
  • Would it totally kill the outdoor feel you're going for if you did a tented wedding with air conditioning? I'm from Los Angeles and I went to a wedding here in mid August once that was outdoor, it ended up a bit of a flop. They had misters outside and all the guests were soaking themselves in the water, trying to keep cool. The bride and groom looked uncomfortably sweaty, and everyone was a bit fatigued from the heat after a half hour ceremony. I don't suggest doing the outdoor wedding in the summer months unless you're planning on cooling it off somehow. My wedding is in June in LA, which is still pretty hot, so we're planning on having it in the early evening at sunset, and then doing the reception indoors. This way even if it's a hot day, it'll be cool by the time the ceremony begins, but we still get to be in our beautiful outdoor garden.
    to love is to be two, and yet one. A man and a woman blended as angels. Heaven itself... - Victor Hugo Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Being from Texas, I think an outdoor wedding in the summer is out of the question unless it's extremely informal and takes place well after sunset.  There is pretty much no way to 'dress appropriately' for the Texas heat; generally, if you will be outside for very long you're spraying yourself with water every so often, which isn't really something I'd expect at a wedding.  Fans don't really help.

If you can get an air-conditioned tent, however, that would be fine.  If only the ceremony is outside, and it's very short (remember, guests will get there early so they might be sitting there an extra 30 minutes), there are fans, and it's completely shaded, then that might work, too.  But I'd have a backup plan in case the heat is unbearable that day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_bit-of-problem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:61f1abe2-bbef-4d3f-98b5-4c7e8a1cf658Post:50fc5583-db20-4021-9cfa-2111be75ac7b">Re: I have a bit of a problem...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Summer is usually the only time I spend anytime there, and we have a lot of friends who would have to travel and we figure it would be easiest for everyone in late spring early summer. We still have a while to figure it out,<strong>I just don't want to dissapoint anyone.
    </strong>Posted by Tipher&Roni[/QUOTE]

To be honest, while I understand your motivation (don't want to disappoint anyone) this is difficult to achieve.  I'm not trying to rain on your parade, not at all.  IMHO, you should plan the wedding you and FI want, accommodate your guests as much as you can -- within that vision -- and try not to please everyone.  You could end up driving yourself crazy.  Good luck!
  • My brother got married in Arkansas in June and the rehearsal dinner and after party were outside and I seriously thought I was going to die...if his family is from somewhere where there is not much humidity it will be really hard for them to handle. If there is shade it would be a lot better.
    I am also having mine in the summer (august) - luckily we will be in the mountains but I still expect it will be in the low 90's so I chose an evening start time so it should be cooling off by that time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If it males you feel any better, I am from ny, FI is from TX, we live in Houston and are having our wedding in New Orleans :)
  • My fiance and I are both native texans and are having our december wedding at an indoor/outdoor venue in austin. the ceremony will be outside along with cocktail hour (heaters and a fire pit provided if it is chilly) and the reception is inside.

as i'm sure you know, texas weather is almost completely unpredictable.  however, the weather is fairly concsistently pleasant from late october until the end of the year and then again in march and may.  I would prosonally suggest a time towards the end of the year.  we tend get very little rain after september or so and the temperature is usually pleasant enough that you can be outside with proper attire. 
    i agree with pp, think about your guests enjoyment but make sure you're doing what YOU and FI want

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards