Outdoor Weddings

Sand or Candle Help!

My fiancé and I are having trouble deciding between doing a unity candle or unity sand ceremony.  It will be outside in a potentially very windy area, so I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and what you have done about it.  We would really prefer to do the unity candle but can't seem to figure out how to make it fool-proof.  I'm afraid we won't be able to keep it lit!

Re: Sand or Candle Help!

• I'm not sure how to stop the wind from affecting the candles other than trying to block it via your own bodies, but keep in mind that the wind could also blow around some sand.  It probably wouldn't be too bad, but its something to remember.

If you are having an indoor reception, you could do the ceremony as part of that.  Just try to space it far enough away from the cake cutting.  Maybe when you too are announced [if you are doing that], instead of walking straight to your table, you could walk to a table where the candle/sand is set up, and do it while you have everybody's attention.
  • I'm not sure that it's completely foolproof, but I'd put the candle in a hurricane vase, like this... but a prettier one. This is just from Yahoo images.

www.besselink.com/product/high/sl-012.jpg" alt="" width="260" height="624" />
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was a BM in a wedding with a unity candle outside, and even covered by a hurricane vase, it kept blowing out.  It was funny and the bride and groom laughed and were good sports about it, but if you're worried about it, either skipping it or doing sand would probably be a safer bet.

We did a sand ceremony.  Pics in married bio.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was torn too, then when I talked to our Reverend he said don't even think about a unity candle.  By the time you get the personal candles lit and try to get it in the hurricane they blow out and it's a big headache.

He's done this a lot more than me so I took his advice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I never recommend candles outdoors. They are difficult to light, stay lit and you don't see them once they are lit. Go with the sand - the visual is much better. See my photo gallery.
    www.weddingchaplain.wordpress.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards