Outdoor Weddings
Options

Heat and Humidity in Summer

I'm considering an outdoor reception (and possibly ceremony) in the late summer on the Ohio River where I grew up.  It will be hot and it will be humid but my hometown does not offer a lot of indoor venues that will allow alcohol.

If we get a tent for shade what other options do we have for helping keep our guests cool?  I hope I an find something "prettier" than large industrial sized fans that will blow everyones dresses up over their heads.  LOL
photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: Heat and Humidity in Summer

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_heat-and-humidity-in-summer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:79c8e522-410e-4356-aa53-d49cc5de7fe9Post:3b15b4af-e721-4604-8981-7b5150485b9f">Re: Heat and Humidity in Summer</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello! I'm also originally from the Ohio River valley, so I understand the late summer heat and humidity!  I've seen some websites that offer personalized fans as wedding favors, which I think is a cute idea.  It's a favor that people will actually use, at least for the day of, and it should cool them off a little.  If you google "fan wedding favors" there are hundreds of options.   My main advice, however, is just to serve lots and lots of cold, non-alcoholic drinks.   I'm all in favor of serving alcohol, but if it's hot enough outside for guests to get dehydrated, you need to have plenty of other options, especially plain water.  You definitely don't want people getting heat stroke at your wedding.  What time of day are you planning your ceremony/reception?  If you're planning for the middle of the day, I think an outdoor event could be miserably hot, but if you're actually on the river, there should be some cooler breezes in the evening.   Good luck planning!  Hope this helps!
    Posted by elBecko[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>If it is a late summer wedding it will be in the evening to minimize the chances of miserable heat, but if we can do late June or July we would consider a morning ceremony with a lunch reception but it would still most likely be in the evening.  The bed and breakfast we are interested in is right on the river, so I hope there will be a breeze going!</div><div>
    </div><div>I hadn't planned on doing favors as a way to save money, but this may be a good compromise.</div><div>
    </div><div>I thought about having misting stations, but I don't think it would be very practical with everyone all dressed up.  lol

</div>
  • Options
    Fans are not favors.  They are something necessary to keep your guests comfortable in the extreme heat.  That is not a thank you.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_heat-and-humidity-in-summer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:79c8e522-410e-4356-aa53-d49cc5de7fe9Post:3dd74b28-18c1-4020-bec0-c21e123b4517">Re: Heat and Humidity in Summer</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fans are not favors.  They are something necessary to keep your guests comfortable in the extreme heat.  That is not a thank you.
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Isn't the reception the thank you?  </div><div>
    </div><div>I've seen all over these boards that favors are not necessary so whether the fans are a "favor" or a "necessity" doesn't seem to matter much...

</div>
  • Options
    A friend of mine her son got married in the hot sun. Bride got fans for all the guests (I've seen fans that are also programs) and also had a tub of bottle water when people entered for them to help themselves to. 
  • Options
    I have only attended a few outdoor receptions. We were able to tolerate and accommodate the heat. What was impossible to ignore were the swarms of bees attracted to the food. Many people declined to have cake because of the amount of bees that lay on it. Very unappetizing. Make sure you factor in the pest factor!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards