Outdoor Weddings
Options

Backyard Wedding Questions

Hi there - I wrote my first post on my local board and someone replied and told me about this board for Outdoor Weddings. We are having our ceremony & reception in my backyard on 10/1/11. We have started talking to caterers who are helping us decide on a menu and tent rentals, etc. Ideally if the weather is fine (in Central Mass), then we'd have the ceremony and cocktail hour outside and have the reception in a large tent and most likely include heat. The caterer is suggesting a ceremony tent as a back up plan for bad weather, however I'd almost prefer having the ceremony in a bigger tent and just moving chairs around afterward. My fiance wasn't loving the idea of such chaos...but I'm guessing if we have a ceremony tent and a reception tent that I am paying for another tent and twice as many chairs, or would they move them in the rain?! Not to mention a tent for the catering staff. Any idea on lead time for ordering a tent that is slightly larger to include a ceremony last minute? How far in advance do they usually set up the tent? Since we are expecting between 150-175, we'd need porta potties, just not sure how many for that many people or how that trailer option works? We figured we would do mostly a buffet style with food stations, but weren't sure we'd get to table-hop to thank people for coming if they are all over the place and we decide not to do a receiving line? Considered doing a plated salad first, then the rest buffet. Any suggestions on that? We'd still need room for a dance floor, buffet tables, DJ & bar (if bad weather)...so finding a tent big enough for all of that is hard to calculate.  I know I am throwing out a bunch of questions, thanks in advance for the feedback!

Re: Backyard Wedding Questions

• Options
    To avoid all the ciaos of moving chairs from one tent to another, I would recommend double the amount of chairs.  I'm having a smaller wedding (80 people) and we went with double the chairs, because I didn't want the caterer or other guest to move the chairs from one location to the other.

When calling rental companies...they know how big and I would go on the larger side.  FYI: if you are having a dance floor on grass, companies will require a sub floor down...more money.

Have you thought of having one tent and then having people step out while it's tranformed to dining?  Or have the out door area for the ceremony and if you have bad weather, go into the dining tent and make a little alter on the dance floor.

I'm doing passed cocktail hour and buffet reception.  People will be seated to eat, so you can walk around then.

Bathrooms: rule is 35 people per bathroom.  Bathroom trailers run around $1000 (at least in Florida).
  • Options
    Almost forgot...make sure to tell your caterer and DJ (Remember lights) that it's outside and ask what the electrical requirements are.  You'll have to make sure that you have enough power and won't lose power.  You may or may not need to get a generator.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your replies, ladies!

ChrislovesBarry - It kind of stinks having to think about rain and a back up plan, but I'm sure we'll be able to make it work with a big enough tent. The cocktail hour would be outside also, so that should give the caterer enough time to move chairs from one part of the yard to the tent in another area. If it rains, then we'd need to set up a space on the dance floor like you suggested. And you're right about people having to sit to eat ;) Thanks for the heads up on the dance floor, porta potties and generators!

mrsalbee - I definitely agree with you that we could benefit from having a coordinater for all of these details! My fiance and I enjoying planning and my sisters have both worked as event planners in the past..so you would think we'd have it together :) We've been calling and emailing with five different caterers, but the process seems so slow and somewhat challenging. Thanks again, it's really great knowing these boards exist!
  • Options
    On the tent rental situation, I know when we were planning, most of the rental companies had a rain plan only option that allowed you to reserve a tent and decide about a week out if you were actually going to need it.
    I was lucky. It didn't rain much this season where we were having the wedding and the weather was unusually consistent and stable so we were able to not rent a tent at all, esp. since I felt that if we were going to have to have a tented ceremony and reception, what was the purpose of having an outdoor wedding (just my opinion about my wedding).
    We rented a restroom trailer with 4 individual bathrooms for 90 people. I would recommend searching for a company that specializes in waste management for your restroom rentals; they are usually significantly cheaper. The event rental companies here quoted me between $1000-2000 dollars for a smaller unit, when the place we ended up going with cost us $600.
  • Options
    My daughter was just married in Oct. in an outdoor ceremony and tented backyard reception.  Our back up rain plan was to have the guests at their tables and the ceremony take place on the dance floor--no chair moving.

We did take the chairs to the cermony site ( not in the backyard) and asked some people to help set up at the ceremony and then again at the reception--I don't know how it happened but it did--people just chipped in and got it done.  You do need someone to tell them how many chairs at each table-if they are not all the same.

We did a plated salad and family style service for the food--it cut down on the number of tables we needed for food service. We used disposable plates for salad, cake and dessert, china for dinner plates and coffee cups and real glass for wine and water and disposable silverware.  After dinner most of the china and glassware was cleared and we used disposable glasses for drinks--wine/beer/cocktails.  All the glasses were the same size--9oz clear plastic.

Our tent company did not require a subfloor for the dance floor.  We had 140 people and needed the biggest tent the company had and they didn't have a lot of them so we reserved early.  The tent was set up on Thursday and the wedding was Saturday.  We put up three sides to the tent and left the other side open to our pond but we did need the heaters going.

We used lit paper lanterns and perimeter lighting for the reception tent.  Your caterers will need lots more light--LED lanterns are great.  We had power from our house to the tent site and had run a separate cicuit for the DJ because the big coffee urns the cateres use draw a lot of power and pop the circuits.

Our tent/rental company was a huge help--they do this all the time so they know what to expect.  We did not use a wedding planner but I did have a friend act as the day of coordinator--really a good idea she made sure the bathrooms looked good, the caterers had what they needed, the vendors got set up as we were getting ready etc.

It was a lot of work and we had lots of help but it was totally worth it--beautiful and personal and truly a day to remember.

Good Luck!

• Options
    These responses are so helpful, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and input!

alecat9 - It's definitely a relief to hear that your experience with the tent rental was more reassuring and flexible. So glad the weather held for you and that it wasn't necessary. I agree with you on having an outdoor wedding for the purpose of enjoying the venue instead of the tent! Right now the only contact we have with a rental place is through one of the caterers that works in a partnership with them. I had originally written the rental company separately, but got no repsonse and instead am asking the caterer questions, who is then asking the rental people questions...so it' just not clear answers. Thanks also for your feedback on the porta potties, that sounds like good advice. People have been telling me left and right to try and avoid using the word 'wedding' with most of the vendors as they immediately upcharge you.

drewrose - Thanks for sharing your impressions of your daughter's wedding. I hadn't thought of having the guest be at tables for the back up ceremony site in the tent. Seems easy enough! Also having a point person to help coordinate some of the details will be important. Sounds like the buffet style was a success and you were able to save on some of the costs too. Good news about the dance floor and I'm glad you were still able to have a side of the tent open. We have a pond in the backyard also, such a beautiful backdrop I think. I love the idea of paper lanterns and have seen some beautiful examples in pictures here on the Knot. We'll probably need a generator for power, but haven't gotten that far just yet. Thanks again!

• Options
    Didn't read everything, but just make sure you have a plan for the ceremony to be in some sort of shelter if it's not necessarily raining, but also if it's particularly cold (or have a REALLy short ceremony).
  • Options
    sister2groom - Thanks for the post! That's a good point about considering the length of the ceremony. We haven't organized that part just yet. But we will have a  back up plan to have the ceremony in the tent for rainy and probably cold weather too.
  • Options
    SpookieCat - Thanks so much for your helpful feedback and for guiding me to your page which also had some great information! That is unfortunate about the rain right before their ceremony, although some say it's good luck for the marriage. Sounds like they made the most of it with their back up plan. Thanks also for sharing the prices and specific details on the porta potties and tent. I think 2400 square feet is appropriate for us as well. Hopefully we don't need to go much larger than that. My fiance has been suggesting a sweetheart table for us also, so it's good that we can save some space too. We have a tent guy coming on Friday, so it feels really good to have things progressing. In regards to the food, we are deciding between buffet and stations. I know one requires more room in the tent than the other...but I can't decide on the flow or presentation of the meal. My mom likes the idea of 'grazing' and my fiance and I think it'd be nice with the time of year to have some soups that accompany some of the entrees. I am really looking forward to the tasting and figuring out the choices of food. Yum! :)
  • Options
    Macatawa - I'm so happy to find this post because I am going through the same questions / scenarios myself.  I'm having a backyard tent wedding on 9.10.11 and ideally ceremony & cocktail hour will be outside / reception under a tent.  I have not decided on a "rain plan" that I am in love with either.... 
  • Options
    chriswalsh - Glad you found the post too! Planning a backyard tent wedding has definitely been challenging so far, but I'm just hoping to get a caterer and tent figured out as soon as possible. Good luck to you :)
  • Options
    I'm also getting married on 9/10/11.. We rented a big house in North Carolina.  I am getting married on the soundfront beach (weather permitting-- I know it's hurricane season!)  and we're planning to do the reception in the backyard.  I would like to not use a tent-- I feel like it takes away from the beautiful surroundings... but I am worried about lighting.  Has anyone used the cafe lights in a backyard?
  • Options
    We are doing pretty much the same as you and have the 2 tent side by side.  We are planning the ceremony outside also but I am having benches made for the ceramony so we don't have the choas of moving chairs back and forth   I will keep one of the benches and donate the rest to our comminuty center for a tax write off.  I am getting the schools to make them so the price is down and it gives them a winter project.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Don't forget that your DJ or band may need to be on a platform.  My band needs a platform because of the electrical.
  • Options
    alibav - I'm not familar with those lights. However, if you haven't already, you may want to repost to get some more responses to that question.

realredhead - Thanks for the comments. That's a good idea about the side by side tents. I'm not sure we'll have enough room for that in my backyard...not enough flat land unfortunately. I really like your idea about making the benches. What a great idea! We are having a DJ and are still figuring out the electricity needed for that, as well as the lighting for the tents, etc. Thanks again, and good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards