Outdoor Weddings

country wedding outside need help

I’m having a farm wedding in Southern Minnesota at the end of July on my Grandfathers farm all of the guest will be from out of town most from Des Moines and California, I’m all out of ideas and I’m on a tight budget I’m trying to do it all for under 4,000. Any ideas you have or venders you know would be a great help, the wedding will talk place in Kellogg MN which is near Winona. I have never planed anything like this and I need help. Any ideas would be great. Our colors are watermelon green and pink and I’m thinking the flowers will be daisy and sunflowers.  I’m also thinking that the centerpieces on the table will be carved out of watermelons with mixed fruit. the reception and dinner will be held in a tent in the hayfield so we have to build or rent a dance floor also work something out for bathrooms.  The food is going to be chicken and other church picnic food it will be served buffet style. Any help would be great thanks so much and any questions please feel free to ask. i'm also thinking hayrides. 

Re: country wedding outside need help

• Hi there! Welcome! In terms of vendors, this is an international board, so it is best to post on your local board for potential vendors. As far as ideas, really what you need to do is just google and search the TK for ideas. That's what I did. GL!
  • We are doing something a little similar and on a pretty low budget too. Instead of a farm it's going to be a really huge backyard. You seem like you have a pretty good idea in general of how you're going to do it. On a $4,000 budget you're going to need to do a lot of networking. Talk to people at church, your parents friend, your FI's parents, your friends, pretty much tell everyone if they know anybody that can contribute something to give you a call. For instance a lady from church is doing our food. And my FI's sister in-law is our coordinator. A family friend will probably be doing our cake (she works at a bakery). Also, flowers can be really pricey so check out your local farmers market, they always have great deals on huge bouquets.

Like MrsDudley said start looking around online and getting ideas. Put together a collague of ideas, and colors. Also, sit down with someone who a little more wedding experiences to work out a budget. If $4,000 is what you can afford then figure out how much you can spend on everything. Be sure to include things like bathrooms. You will probably have to rent porta-pottys (we are too).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 262 Invited image 38 Attending image 5 Declined image 219 Unknown
    RSVP Date August 1st
  • Instead of renting chairs for the ceremony (and/or reception) why not use bails of hay for guests to sit on? You could cover with cheap fabric if you are afraid of it being to scratchy for people to sit on.  Also, you can buy inexpensive flowers at your local farmers market and put in mason jars for centerpieces (which you can buy for like less than a $1 each at your grocery store!)
    If you aren't set on a cake, maybe serving pies instead (and this you can ask friends/family/church members to make)
    You could also use burlap as table clothes/runners instead of pricey linens.

As far as food, if you want to be more "wedding" than picnic, think roasted chicken, pulled pork, roasted potatoes and veggies, rice and cornbread. 
    and of course your signature drink has to be something watermelon!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards