Outdoor Weddings

What do I need to know about a backyard wedding?

Ugh! I'm so stressed! I'm on this teeny tiny budget and all the locations here in Boise are over our budget. (Unless I want to get married in the church that I have left (no longer believe in), or stress out about whether or not 5 hours is long enough for everything) I have looked and looked and I know there had got to be something out there in our budget, but it must be hidden. We don't have a church that we attend regularly, and I'm getting tired of looking for locations.

I was thinking about using my future MIL's backyard, but, we are getting married in April and (as always) the weather can be unpredictable. So, of course, we would probably need a tent, and I'm sure there is a lot more that I can even think of. Does it all add up? Would it be better to get a location?

Her backyard isn't really that big, but we aren't having a lot of people there anyway. We might plant a lot of flowers for decoration, but we aren't planning on having a DJ or catered meal.

I'm just not sure what to do!  Thanks in advance!
image ~*~Rowyn at 5 months!~*~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary PersonalMilestone

Re: What do I need to know about a backyard wedding?

• Chairs. One for every butt present.
  • I've been planning my wedding for several months, and have over 10 months to go yet. Our venue ($1000) only has table & chairs, and I have to get my own caterer, alcohol, plus the following:

- linens ($15 per table, plus 50 cents to $1 per napkin)

-dishes, glassware, eating utensils (figure $2 per person's place setting)

-bartender (ours comes with the DJ)

-tent & dance floor (20x30 tents are from $150-$300, dance floors about the same)
    -officiant to perform ceremony (cheap ones around here are $300)
    -limo (you won't need it if you have it in the backyard)

60 inch round tables around here are about $10-$15 each. Chairs are about $2 each. You'd need to rent 6 foot banquet tables for the food, bar, and any other use you have like a gift table, etc, those are about $10-$15 each as well.

If we weren't so set on the unique historic village where we are having this, at this point I'd say I'd be happier with a full-service venue that provides everything. The per person cost is much higher, but when I add everything up that I have to obtain, it almost comes out the same price.

We are inviting about 100, and expect most to come. How many people are you planning on inviting? Do you have to have the wedding in April for any particular reason? You would probably cut down on costs and inconvenience if you could choose a slightly warmer month ( likely no mud, dirt, cold weather to deal with).

The most important thing is to look at your budget honestly, and break it down to a "per person" cost based on the number of people you expect to invite. If you are willing to accept a more casual environment (plastic vs glass & ceramic plates, paper vs linens), you can probably save a lot of money.

Good luck.

• I am doing a tented wedding at a Historical mansion (its not quite big enough to seat everyone inside in one room) and was having issues with the high price of rentals.  My mom and I started looking for china sets at yardsales, and have found there is a certain style that is popular and comes with many borders, which lends to the eclectic look we are going far.  So far we are at about 100 settings, and have spent about $60, but that includes plates, bread plates salad plates, cups saucers, serving bowls and platters.  There are some pieces we will need more of, but thrifts stores are great and there will be more yardsales in the spring again.  The cheapest rental we could find for the cheapes plainest china was about 50cents a piece, and figured it would be about $700 just to rent the dinnerware, not including silverware (found a guy on Ebay) and glassware.  And after the wedding we can sell it back or tile my bathroom :-) (just kidding)
  • I don't know much about the weather in Boise, but where I'm from it sometimes snows  in early April. If it's close to freezing you might need to rent a heater, also, I don't know what really cold hard ground would do to your ability to pitch the tent (try asking tent rental companies?).
  • Parking advice: We are having an outdoor wedding in a friend's backyard by a lake.  For parking we are going to have our ushers in golf carts go out and pick guest up at their vehicles so they don't have to walk so far.  (We are having a very small wedding-60 ppl counting wedding party and pastor.)  So most people will be there early for pictures.  Very few people will be coming just for the wedding.  Our reception is indoors. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards