Outdoor Weddings
Options

Deciding on Destination or Home wedding

My fiance wants a destination wedding so that we don't have to invite everyone to our wedding and we can have a small wedding.  I also like this idea but I'm starting to lean more towards an all-in-one type wedding.  We talked about having the wedding reception outside at his Grandparents farm.  I'm wondering if we should just have the wedding and reception out there and have a day out there.  We live in Northern Alberta and would like to get married late August.  I think the weather will be okay for an outdoor wedding but I don't know if I can talk him into it.  He is really set on a small wedding.  I think having the wedding and reception out at the farm could be just as simple and cheap or even cheaper than having a destination wedding than coming back for the reception.  The decorations will all be the same and we can have a friend be the photographer for the whole thing instead of hiring one for the wedding.  I need opinions and ideas.

Re: Deciding on Destination or Home wedding

• Options
    Well my fiance wanted a destination wedding or getting married at the courthouse.  I talked him into a small (family only) ceremony in our backyard then we are having a reception somewhere else afterwards. 

So you could talk him into family ceremony on the farm- then a reception out there after and invite everyone else to that.  (some people frown on that but where im from people do it all the time). 

Destination wedding would be awesome BUT at the same time that could be more expensive then having the ceremony on the farm.  We rented 50 chairs and an archway- that's all the decorations we are having for the ceremony. 

GL!
    Created by Wedding Favors BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    We are doing a destination wedding because FI loves the north shore and I love the beach, so we are mixing the two.
  • Options
    Honestly, it's just a convo you and FI need to have.  We had a DW and it was simply the best decision we ever made.  

I think you need to separate "small wedding" from "cheap wedding".  It reads a bit like a DW would be small but a local wedding would be larger.  What if you had a very small wedding (same size as the DW invite list) but did it locally?  Would that satisfy both of your desires? Or is your conflict inherently the size of the guest list (as opposed to location)?
  • Options
    no that would be perfect actually!  I will suggest that to my fiance and see what he says!  Thank you!
  • Options
    We did our wedding at home on our farm, partly because I had a small budget and wanted to be able to include more guests.  The biggest expense was probably the rentals... gotta have a tent in case of bad weather!  But food was excellent BBQ, and having it at home meant it could be more casual, and we could do it all OUR way!  It actually turned out great!
  • Options
    We are having a home wedding and keeping the guest list small, because that is how we want it.  I think people will understand that you are choosing to have a private ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards