Outdoor Weddings

Pumpernickel and olive juice

Re: .

• Since your wedding is another year away, I would honestly look into different sites that will accommodate chairs for all of your guests. I would certainly not be happy to attend a wedding and have to sit on the ground on a blanket. It's difficult to do in nicer clothes, it's hard to see and hear what's going on, people (like my FI) have grass allergies that make sitting in the grass miserable, etc. The only thing worse than having to sit for a ceremony is having to stand.

Every one of your guests deserves a chair.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_tell-guests-sitting-ground?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:c2d49213-c112-4902-8c73-e76e135c526aPost:e137c8f8-dd87-4d26-bd12-730b3c555437">Re: how to tell guests they are sitting on ground</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since your wedding is another year away, <strong>I would honestly look into different sites that will accommodate chairs for all of your guests.</strong>I would certainly not be happy to attend a wedding and have to sit on the ground on a blanket. It's difficult to do in nicer clothes, it's hard to see and hear what's going on, people (like my FI) have grass allergies that make sitting in the grass miserable, etc. The only thing worse than having to sit for a ceremony is having to stand. Every one of your guests deserves a chair.
    Posted by jess9802[/QUOTE]

This, usually for blankets it is only really okay to do at a beach wedding. What about bales of Hay? or benches?
    If you do decide to have them still sit on the ground, no where on the invite should it say this, but if you are having a wedding website then it can be placed on there. The website can be placed on the invite to let them know there is more information.
    HTH
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • <div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">In Response to <a style="text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal;color:#1f1f1f;" href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_tell-guests-sitting-ground?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:c2d49213-c112-4902-8c73-e76e135c526aPost:e137c8f8-dd87-4d26-bd12-730b3c555437">Re: how to tell guests they are sitting on ground</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since your wedding is another year away, I would honestly look into different sites that will accommodate chairs for all of your guests. I would certainly not be happy to attend a wedding and have to sit on the ground on a blanket. It's difficult to do in nicer clothes, it's hard to see and hear what's going on, people (like my FI) have grass allergies that make sitting in the grass miserable, etc. The only thing worse than having to sit for a ceremony is having to stand. Every one of your guests deserves a chair.
    Posted by jess9802[/QUOTE]
    This</div><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">
    </div><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">There were a few places I had looked into that seemed to have the same policy.  After I asked the venue staff, they informed me that those were the number of seats they provided, but you could rent more and pay more to have them set up.  If you are dead set on the venue, ask about this alternative, or you could go to a sporting goods store and get a bunch of those foldy chairs and set them up yourself the day of the wedding if it is a casual ceremony (you'd again have to ask the venue if this is ok).  I imagine they'll be willing to work with you, you likely aren't the first person to have their wedding there.</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ditto the others, don't have guests sit on the ground.  There have been numerous threads about this in the past - it's uncomfortable and makes the people without chairs feel like second-tier guests at your wedding.  Ask if there is any way around it (renting chairs, getting benches, etc) or look for a different venue.

Definitely tell people on the website, though, if you choose to do this.  I would certainly want to know ahead of time so I would be sure not to wear a dress or skirt, or possibly skip your ceremony. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wow...I have to say...if someone I cared about was getting married I would never "skip your ceremony" because of sitting on the ground.  You could also make it kind of arabian nights with different pillows and stuff.

We are planning on having our reception be a picnic reception and having blankets on the ground.  I understand about having chairs for some people who may not be able to sit on the ground (ie grandma etc).  But I wouldnt worry too much about people being too uptight to sit down.

I would give people a heads up (maybe if they really want to they can bring their camping chair) and keep the ceremony pretty short, but I would totally go to a wedding and sit on the ground on a blanket and feel fine about it.

Just my 2 cents.
  • jess9802jess9802 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_tell-guests-sitting-ground?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:c2d49213-c112-4902-8c73-e76e135c526aPost:24ee310f-d631-4940-950f-7cd68e9a04ea">Re: how to tell guests they are sitting on ground</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow...I have to say...if someone I cared about was getting married I would never "skip your ceremony" because of sitting on the ground.  You could also make it kind of arabian nights with different pillows and stuff. We are planning on having our reception be a picnic reception and having blankets on the ground.  I understand about having chairs for some people who may not be able to sit on the ground (ie grandma etc).  But I wouldnt worry too much about people being too uptight to sit down. I would give people a heads up (maybe if they really want to they can bring their camping chair) and keep the ceremony pretty short, but I would totally go to a wedding and sit on the ground on a blanket and feel fine about it. Just my 2 cents.
    Posted by jmadosky[/QUOTE]

That's great that you'd feel comfortable sitting on the ground at a wedding, but not everyone will, including those with physical limitations (like arthritis) or other health conditions. What the OP is proposing is inconsiderate to her guests, even those who are young, healthy, and carefree enough to be okay with sitting on the ground for a wedding.
  • It's definitely not about being uptight.  As PP mentioned, some people have physical limitations that make it very difficult, or even impossible, for them to sit on the ground.  This doesn't just mean elderly people, either - my husband recently had knee surgery, and while he looks very healthy it's very hard on his knee to get up and down from the ground.  Ten chairs for 'special guests' is really not enough to cover everyone, particularly those who may not want to make a big deal of their limitation and don't obviously need a chair.
  • I wouldn't want to sit on the ground either. If you're allowed more than 10 chairs, you can check into the local fire companies and ask to rent them. That's where we're getting ours from. We are renting the tent, table, and chairs from the local fire company. And it's not really for "rent", they just ask that we make a donation to the fire company (which we do every year anyway, but we're still going to give them $$). If you can't have more than 10 chairs, I would honestly look for another venue.
  • all i can say is i hope it's going to be a short ceremony.
  •  I don't think you're asking us if you should have guests sit on the ground so I'm not going to give you my opinion on that... You know your BP, your fam, your guests... Do what you think will work best for you and what you want.. it's your wedding. 

If that's the kind of ceremony you decide on, I would probably word it on my invitations somewhere as a "picnic wedding" and then clarify on my wedding website while also having my family/BP spread by word of mouth. 
    image 180 Invited
    image 160 are joining in!!
    image 17 are missing out!!
    image 3 are late to RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_tell-guests-sitting-ground?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:c2d49213-c112-4902-8c73-e76e135c526aPost:24ee310f-d631-4940-950f-7cd68e9a04ea">Re: how to tell guests they are sitting on ground</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow...I have to say...if someone I cared about was getting married I would never "skip your ceremony" because of sitting on the ground.  You could also make it kind of arabian nights with different pillows and stuff. We are planning on having our reception be a picnic reception and having blankets on the ground.  I understand about having chairs for some people who may not be able to sit on the ground (ie grandma etc).  <strong>But I wouldnt worry too much about people being too uptight to sit down.</strong> I would give people a heads up (maybe if they really want to they can bring their camping chair) and keep the ceremony pretty short, but I would totally go to a wedding and sit on the ground on a blanket and feel fine about it. Just my 2 cents.
    Posted by jmadosky[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>No?  Would you worry about people maybe having allergies and can't sit on the ground because of them?  Like a PP's FI, I'm very allergic to grass.  Your plain old, out in the park or yard, grass.  Even on a blanket or towel, I break out in horrible hives if my skin makes contact with grass.</div><div>
    </div><div>I would RSVP no, especially if I'm to bring MY chair to YOUR ceremony.</div><div>
    </div><div>Just my two cents.

</div>
  • I am wondering how the ten chairs are going to work. Are they going to be in the front where grandparents and the like normally sit or up the back? If they are in the front with people sitting on the ground, those guest may not be able to see. If the chairs are up the back the older ones may not be able to see/hear.

I would not have people sit on the ground. Bales of hay covered would be something to look at. To answer your question I would put it on your wedding website and if you want do a separate insert in the invitation. We are doing a info card in the invite with our site and password on it, you could do one with picnic wedding information. I also like the word of mouth approach.
  • MadisonpennyMadisonpenny member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2011
    Yea, I like to think that I'm a down to earth and everything goes kind of person, and usually it is but if I went to a wedding where I had to sit on the floor.. I'd be pretty pissed off and unimpressed.  Especially if I saw that 1- ppl get to sit on chairs and I'm sitting on the ground with the dog poop (it is a park afterall) and the ants.  Find somenthing for people to sit on, and not just blankets, or start saving for someonwhere else. Your asking people to get dressed up, travel (yes, even 15 mins if they live in the same city), and then sit on the ground, thats a slap to the face, even if you tell them before hand. Also, it isn't just "old" people who have muscle, bone and joint problems and your not helping them in anyway by sitting on the ground.  If you can't provide something for everyone, then don't provide that item at all (going back to the 10 chairs).
    I know what its like to have your heart set on a site, been there, got my heart broken, moved on and found an even better site for wayy less.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Ok sorry everyone but I am going to have to contradict everyone here.
    1. Sense when is YOUR wedding day about IMPRESSING anyone? Last time I checked its about joining your life with your partners.
    2. If you are too snarky to sit your but down on a blanket, then you really dont belong at that persons wedding. Its called being a guest to a beautiful occasion. Not every wedding has to have chairs, ribbons, and so on and so fourth. If you cant accept that you need to get your head out of the birdal mags and get a major reality check.
    3. The OP already said that she intends on using the limited ammount of chairs she is permited for those that have a hard time sitting down or standing up (this includes someone with a knee injury) So she really does have that covered.
    4. If somone has that severe of a grass allergy, they would not be attending a ceramony that is in the grass in the first place so I really dont see this as an issue. And if it really ment that much to go there there are so many allergy medications on the market these days im sure they would figure something out. (or alert said Bride about their condition so they could be in a chair)

I personally think this is a wonderfully casual idea for a wedding. Just make sure they dont water the grass until after your ceramony (wet blankets would be a disaster)
    Sense your already breaking with tradition, why not just skip on some of the formaily of the invitation and call it a picnic blanket ceramony and include a secion of dress (seen it on plenty of invitations) and just say something like dressy casual (please remember seating will be picnic blankets) or something to that effect. Personally I see this as being a much more straight forword way of makeing sure your guests dont wind up showing up in something that would be uncomfortable to be stilling on a blanket with. And you dont need to worry about making sure everyone that is on your guest list has been called to let them know what is going on, nor do you have to worry about them forgetting. Putting it on your wedding website is a good idea as well, but I know for a fact I have family members that still dont even use a computer! And another group that cant afford one/cant afford internet.

Anywho all im saying is theres nothing wrong with thinking outside the box :) I think it will be a wonderful ceramony.

Ps I dont mean to offend anyone, just stating my opinon.

• I don't know about you, Nefarious, but our friends and family are traveling a great distance and taking time out of their lives to attend our wedding, not to mention spending quite a bit of money on gifts, travel expenses, etc. I want to treat them well and be a gracious hostess. Making sure that each one of them has a chair to sit in during the ceremony is such a basic part of the planning process that it boggles my mind someone would think otherwise. It will cost me $1.30 to rent each chair. Personally, I think each one of those guests is worth a lot more than $1.30. So they're each getting a chair to our outdoor wedding. And that means we had to move our ceremony from a public rose garden to my FMIL's backyard to accommodate and properly host our guests.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_tell-guests-sitting-ground?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:c2d49213-c112-4902-8c73-e76e135c526aPost:123b8433-3572-443a-b03f-9ca8ff8c1cb2">Re: how to tell guests they are sitting on ground</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok sorry everyone but I am going to have to contradict everyone here.
    1. Sense when is YOUR wedding day about IMPRESSING anyone? Last time I checked its about joining your life with your partners.
    <strong>When did ANY of us say anything about impressing people?  This is about making people comfortable, which all brides should be thinking about.</strong>
    2. If you are too snarky to sit your but down on a blanket, then you really dont belong at that persons wedding. Its called being a guest to a beautiful occasion. Not every wedding has to have chairs, ribbons, and so on and so fourth. If you cant accept that you need to get your head out of the birdal mags and get a major reality check.
    <strong>I think I already addressed this - it's not about projecting the right image or snarky guests, at all.</strong>
    3. The OP already said that she intends on using the limited ammount of chairs she is permited for those that have a hard time sitting down or standing up (this includes someone with a knee injury) So she really does have that covered.
    <strong>There may be more than ten people with injuries/disabilites, and as I already said, there are probably people who don't want to make a big deal out of it or take a chair from someone else.  My DH is probably less able to sit on the ground than some people's grandparents, but he would rather be in pain than say something to an elderly person.</strong>
    4. If somone has that severe of a grass allergy, they would not be attending a ceramony that is in the grass in the first place so I really dont see this as an issue. And if it really ment that much to go there there are so many allergy medications on the market these days im sure they would figure something out. (or alert said Bride about their condition so they could be in a chair) . 
    <strong>I have a pretty bad grass allergy, but I still go outside, FFS.  It's about contact with my skin, so I can go hiking and walk in the park, etc.  Sitting on the ground, however, can be problematic.  If I didn't know that I was going to be sitting on the ground, or that the grass is a type I'm allergic to, I wouldn't know to skip the ceremony or request a chair.  And again, I wouldn't want to take one of the ten chairs from someone who may be more deserving.</strong>
    [/QUOTE]

Basically, I think you completely missed the point.  We are trying to point out to the OP that her guests might be very uncomfortable, for various reasons, sitting on the ground, in hopes that she can avoid this.  As a host, you really do need to think about the comfort of your guests.

Edit: So, OP, find out if there is any way to get more chairs.  If you can't, let people know on your website, by word of mouth, and/or an insert in your invitation so they can dress accordingly and make any other accomodations (request a chair, take allergy meds, etc).  If at all possible, though, it would be best for everyone to have a chair, bench, or something equivalent (like a covered hay bale) to sit on.  If you choose hay bales, I would let people know about that as well, since some people are allergic and may want to take medicine beforehand.
  • Based on how OP seems very stuck on the location and has no plan to add additional chairs, I really see only one appropriate option:  Only invite 10 guests.

OP, you want suggestions about how to let your guests know this, right?  And you're wondering why you can't come up with a good idea, right?  Well, maybe it's because there is no good way to do something rude.

When almost EVERYONE is telling you that this is a bad idea, please think it through.  Nobody is here to ruin your wedding plans; we just don't want you to look like a goof to all of your friends and family.

Should you still choose to follow through with this plan, please enclose a little note with your invitation which conveys this message.  Not everyone will look at the wedding website, but everyone should have the opportunity to decline given the circumstances. 

Honestly?  Unless you were a sibling or dearest friend, I would not get all dressed up to sit on the ground at your wedding.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • rascal, you know the people you're inviting.  If most of them will be ok with sitting on the ground then I guess you're good.  No worries...

But there are some really good points to be looked at that have been mentioned that are worth repeating:
    1. People with allergies or health conditions that prevent this.  Grass and Hay allergies are very prevalent so I would at least check with guests or advise of the sitting on the ground situation or the presence of hay if you go with that suggestion.  People who have mild allergies can often get away with taking an OTC med or their prescription med and not have a problem- but people with severe allergies (and contact allergies to grass are common) will have a real issue.  I just said this on another board post, but you don't want guests having to whip out epi pens so they can attend your wedding. And there are any number of people who you may think you know quite well but are hiding a health condition and are not going to bring it up at your wedding ceremony.  At least them let them know what they are getting themselves into before they RSVP they'll come.
    2. Someone already commented on this, but it was also one of the first concerns I had- these 10 chairs you're allowed could completely obscure the line of vision for someone sitting on the ground.  So you've got guests sitting on the ground, who came in good faith to see you get married and they can't see around grandma.  Take chair placement into account on your wedding day.  You invited them to experience you joining your lives together- at least give them a fighting chance to see and hear it.  (This is something of a pet peeve of mine since I've been to weddings where line of sight wasn't considered apparently at all).

At the end of the day, I believe it's a balancing act- yes the day is about you and your FI joining your lives together and about how you want to do that.  But you also thought enough of these individuals whom you're inviting to witness this big event.  You should be concerned about their comfort level to a degree.

"It's easy to halve the potato where there's love." - Irish Proverb
  • My best advice is to do what is comfortable for you and for your guests. If you think your guests would be ok sitting on the ground go for it. At least you have a few chairs. When my aunt got married she invited us over, gave all the adults directions to where the beer is and when it was time for the ceremony we all stood in the front yard with beer in hand. (Meat was roasting over a fire not 100 ft away so really country wedding...) As guests we all had a great time because it fit our personalities and that is what the couple wanted!

As for telling your guests - I would do a couple of things:
    #1 - Put it on the website. You can make a spot for it or just put in on the ceremony page.
    #2 - Go ahead and put it on the invitation. Maybe say "It is with joy that we ___ and ____ invite you to share in a celebration of love as we exchange our marriage vows picnic style on ______ at _______." That is just one idea and you could personalize it. Or put an insert in noting that "The ceremony is taking place in a park picnic style. Guests should dress nice, but comfortably. Blankets will be provided to sit on but please feel free to bring a lawn chair."
    #3 - Maybe put on your RSVP "Please contact ____ if you have any medical conditions in which a chair will need to be provided for you." This will allow people to alert you if they need a chair and if you go over your limit you could call them and tell them why they cannot have one or use those RSVPs to show the park people why you actually need more chairs.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!
    Photobucket
  • What's going to happen is quite a few people are going to end up having to stand up, and since they are, and not everyone has the common sense to stand in the back, everyone will have to stand up.

You know what happens to me when I sit on grass? I sneeze. A lot. REALLY LOUD. I'll be one of those standers. Girls in sundresses for your outdoor wedding will be standers. Guys who wore their sunday best will be standers. When people stand, (and possibly can't even hear, or see) it's also more natural to talk. Or whisper loudly. And shift around, because it sucks to stand in one place. Make sure no-one locks their knees, because then Cousin Ted just passed out during your vows! 

Not having actual seats for your guests really just sucks. 
  • Is it possible to change to have people stand?   I love outdoor weddings and wouldn't be adverse to standing for a ceremony, but I would not be able to sit in the grass.  I am mid 30's but since I was 18 I have had arthritis in my knee to the point I have issues getting up from sitting on the ground.  My daughter has a grass allergy.  She gets bad hives that only benedryll takes care of and that makes her sleepy so she would be asleep at a wedding like that.   (That and she is severely allergic to bees and would have a better chance of being stung sitting on the ground. Great way to disrupt a wedding to have to use her epi pen and be taken out by ambulance.)  

If your heart is set on the venue, that is fine but maybe think about having the 10 chairs for those that can't stand for a cermony and have others stand.  

(Sorry I know you said you knew the cons, but I was just trying to point out that there is another option versus changing venue.)   Other then that if you still want the picnic style wedding, I think I would put a note in the invite saying to bring a blanket to sit on for a picnic style wedding.  Just a thought.
  • If I received an invitation that said it was a "Picnic Style" wedding, I would think we would be sitting at picnic tables.

Although I don't personally agree with this (or this style of wedding) and it may be a breech of etiquite, please state on your invitations that people will be sitting on the ground on picnic blankets.

Then they can decide if they want to attend, or not, based on their personal situation.
  • It has really already been said but where do the chairs go? If they are up front and everyone else is sitting on the ground then they cannot see. So those people will stand and then the people behind them will stand, etc. Pretty much they will be standing anyway. What if it rains (day before or hours before)? I don't want to sit on a blanket and have moisture come through. People will stand. I don't want to stand up at a wedding but I'd rather stand than sit. Also, I'd more than likely be in a dress so I'm not seeing sitting on the ground as very comfortable. It's not like I could sit indian-style or anything.

Since you have time why don't you explore other venue options?
    Anniversary
  • You don't. You either break the rule about chairs or you find a new ceremony location. 
  • If I have to take allergy medication just to make it through a wedding ceremony because the bride has so little concern for me and the other guests, me and my gift will stay home.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_tell-guests-sitting-ground?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:c2d49213-c112-4902-8c73-e76e135c526aPost:409eff7a-ae96-4349-90d1-7dd68bd0ab68">how to tell guests they are sitting on ground</a>:
    [QUOTE]The ceremony site is in a public park where we are only allowed a maximum of 10 chairs. We will be saving these for important family members (parents/grandparents etc..).  We are having a picnic Style ceremony where guests will be sitting on blankets. I am looking for suggestions on how to let guests know ahead of time that they will be seated on the ground not on chairs. *edit* I am not looking for your opinions on weither or not its a good idea to have people to sit on the ground. I already know the cons of having people sit on the ground. I was only looking for a good way of letting my guests know that they will be seated on the ground, and the website and word of mouth is the way im going to go
    Posted by rascal17[/QUOTE]
  • ok, so since everyone else has covered the "this is a very bad idea" portion of this discussion, i'll go ahead and offer advice on how to make it work

don't try to make your wedding something it's not. what i mean by this is, if you make it a black tie affair, it better be a black tie affair. so if people are going to be wearing dresses, heels, and coats, they should not be sitting on the ground.

yes, your wedding is about YOU, but you are also inviting GUESTS who deserve to be taken care of...don't forget about those people.

therefore: if you're going to go ahead with your picnic plan, this should be CLEARLY COMMUNICATED to your guests via: invitation style, dress code, website, etc.

sending out formal invitations with beautiful black and white calligraphy script send the message of "formal event" and people will not be happy to see blankets on the ground.
    look into casual invitations...there are tons of ideas floating around on the internet. it doesn't have to be rinky dink, but you can make it super fun and cute and casual.

communcate the situation early on so guests wear the appropriate clothing and know what their getting into. do not surprise your guests, especially with grass seating. it won't be a good surprise

• For all those wondering about chairs and standing etc... Here is my set up:

The site is a slight downhill slope and we are to be wed at the bottom of the hill therefore the people on the back will be higher than the people in the front. 
    The blankets will create the aisle and the chairs will be set up parrall to the aisle behind the blankets facing the aisle. I have thought this out in attempts to give everyone a good view. As for allergies; Noone on my side of the family has grass allergies and we are by the ocean so bugs and bees are not an issue, my FSIL and FMIL have allergies but my FSIL will be standing beside me as my MOH and FMIL will recieve a chair.

I have great Family and loyal Friends who would climb a mountain if I wanted them too, So a l am not worried about them being prissy and declining because they have to sit on the ground. I am also supplying the blankets (which guests can take as favours because what do I need with 10-20 blankets)

I will not change the venue as this is my favourite and best option for my price range as I am not willing to pay thousands for a hour or two when I can pay a lot less and use the money to put a down payment on a house so I can expand my family.

As for guest and wedding Attire it is more on the casual side, we are wanting a simple fun wedding and not expecting people to show up in there best most formal clothing, I am wearing a simple dress and hubby to be is wearing dress pants, shirt (with sleeves rolled up as thats how he likes to wear it) and a vest, no coat, and sneakers. I plan to make it fully clear that its not black tie but also not ratty tatty everyday clothes. 

I hope this settle everyones questions and concerns
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_tell-guests-sitting-ground?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:c2d49213-c112-4902-8c73-e76e135c526aPost:cbd8b6b1-001c-41a1-a0a3-a442ba147868">Re: how to tell guests they are sitting on ground</a>:
    [QUOTE]For all those wondering about chairs and standing etc... Here is my set up: The site is a slight downhill slope and we are to be wed at the bottom of the hill therefore the people on the back will be higher than the people in the front.  The blankets will create the aisle and the chairs will be set up parrall to the aisle behind the blankets facing the aisle. I have thought this out in attempts to give everyone a good view. As for allergies; Noone on my side of the family has grass allergies and we are by the ocean so bugs and bees are not an issue, my FSIL and FMIL have allergies but my FSIL will be standing beside me as my MOH and FMIL will recieve a chair. <strong>I have great Family and loyal Friends who would climb a mountain if I wanted them too, So a l am not worried about them being prissy and declining because they have to sit on the ground.</strong> I am also supplying the blankets (which guests can take as favours because what do I need with 10-20 blankets) I will not change the venue as this is my favourite and best option for my price range as I am not willing to pay thousands for a hour or two when I can pay a lot less and use the money to put a down payment on a house so I can expand my family. As for guest and wedding Attire it is more on the casual side, we are wanting a simple fun wedding and not expecting people to show up in there best most formal clothing, I am wearing a simple dress and hubby to be is wearing dress pants, shirt (with sleeves rolled up as thats how he likes to wear it) and a vest, no coat, and sneakers. I plan to make it fully clear that its not black tie but also not ratty tatty everyday clothes.  I hope this settle everyones questions and concerns
    Posted by rascal17[/QUOTE]

I think your attitude is really selfish and inconsiderate of your family and friends. Yes, people will show up and endure whatever you put them through, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea, and none of them will come out and say to your face what a bad idea your plan is. I went to a wedding where the bride failed to provide chairs for her guests (we had to stand), and it ranks number one on my list of most miserable weddings ever. Personally, I love my family and friends so much that I am willing to put their comfort ahead of my desire to have a particular venue. I want people to look back at my wedding as one that was fun and enjoyable, not miserable.

I strongly, strongly urge you to continue the search for a venue that allows you to have more than 10 chairs.
  • Yup, agree with the PP. I would do the same, I would go through hell and back for my friends, doesn't mean I'd enjoy the ride though and I would never say it to their face but believe me, my FI is gonna hear about it. 
    I'm betting that you haven't gotten your actual friends opinions on this and if you have there's a pretty good chance they've discussed this idea among your friends, behind your back and are saying what the other 30 posts have been telling you DON"T DO THIS.
    Have you actually physically called everyone on your list and asked them their medical histories? Doubt it.
    As for not having alot of money, yea, know the feeling but I got a 2nd job to help pay for my wedding as I refuse to accept help from the parents financially.  You have tons of time, have you even gone and priced out every available hall? doubt it. When we were looking we checked out 57 places, yeah not exagerating until we found something in our budget and no its not 1000's of dollars for a few hours. Thats why its called price shopping. Also if you speak to the wedding coordinators of the venues they're often willing to help you out. If this really isnt an option, can you at least have it in someone back yard so you can have chairs for everyone?  
    . Anniversary aandt image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards