Outdoor Weddings

Autumn Outdoor Poconos wedding - Worried :-\

I am planning an outdoor wedding for October 1st of next year (2011). I live in NJ but wanted something very unique, non-traditional, & budget friendly. I opted to rent a lakehouse in the Poconos area for that weekend and have the outdoor ceremony & party there with the beautiful fall scenery surrounding us. I didn't think the weather would be much of an issue since I can remember the last couple of Halloweens being fairly warm still around my area. The way this year has been though, it's barely mid-September, we're in the city & it's already feeling very much on the chilly side. I can't imagine what it would feel like come October IN THE MOUNTAINS!! I've read that Poconos weather in october averages a high of 65 & low of 35! YIKES!!! I'm guess the low of 35 is more than likely 4 in the morning but still!

Am I completely out of my league here? Renting heated tents would not only defeat the purpose of the fall scenery but it's also way out of my budget! I'm already sold on having an Autumn Outdoor party but then again, what fun is it going to be if everyone's going to be freezing their tushies off?

Should I move the date up? Help!

Re: Autumn Outdoor Poconos wedding - Worried :-\

• I've been to the Poconos in LATE October, whether next year is a cold or warm year it will probably be chilly at some point in the day. And I've never been outside there in anything other than jeans and a coat or hoodie.

I remember October in the Poconos as a little colder than that. I was outside most of the day in jeans and a hoody.

65 is fine, 50 is pretty cold. And what about the wind chill? If it rains/is closer to 35
    I would go for a more afternoon ceremony to make sure you're on the 65 side of things. And how long is it? For 15-20 min, I can stand it being pretty cold.

Are you going to instrumentalists or singers at all, cause they are likely very temp-dependant.
  • I think it will be pretty cold then.  Maybe you can find out when the fall scenery is at its best up there.  Since it's the mountains, maybe the leaves turn earlier?  I don't know if I've ever been there in fall.  I have been there in summer, and it's freezing in the morning.
  • i live in south jersey, and whenever i hear the weather on tv, the poconos is always 5-10 degrees lower than down here. ive also been to the poconos many times, most of the time in the summer, and yes, it does get very chilly. i think its because the place we were staying out was surrounded by trees and kept the sunlight to a minimum. the trees could also shield out the cold. the poconos are beautiful in the fall. if thats what you want, then i'd plan around the date. opt for a thicker, fuller dress to keep you warm, and possibly buy a little cape or fur jacket for the dress, very cute and sheek. i know a few people whove gotten married there/engaged/honeymooned there. are you thinking of staying at a resort? i think the resorts are fully fuctional by october, you could stay in a suite at like blue mountain and have a fun honeymoon skiing and tubing, if thats your style.

In the confusion we stay with each other, happy to be together, speaking without uttering a single word -Walt Whitman

Rachel & Jared est. November 11, 2006

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker My Weight Ticker
  • I too am having an outdoor wedding on 10/01/11, and I am even more north than you in New Hampshire. I am having a tented wedding though and possibly heaters if the forecast is going to be chilly that day.

If having a tent & heaters is out of your budget... I do have a cute favor idea for you! I was thinking about doing this too....

Buy hand and/or foot warmers in bulk (you can get 40 for $10 on ebay and overstock). Package them up in cute color coordinating packets w/ a little note on them along the lines of "To keep you warm on our heart-warming day".

I am also serving pour-your-own hot cider & coffee at the ceremony as well.

Another more $$$ idea is to have blankets of somesort as favors. Afgans or quilts or something...

If you are deadset on an outdoor wedding w/o a tent & heaters, there is still ways to make it magnificant and not uber chilly!!!
  • you should look up the local weather for the poconos, and see the average high and low of the temperatures in early october. the high is probably somewhere in the high 60's, and probably wont get cold until 7 at night when the sun sets. maybe you could have the party earlier in the day so its not as cold?

In the confusion we stay with each other, happy to be together, speaking without uttering a single word -Walt Whitman

Rachel & Jared est. November 11, 2006

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker My Weight Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards